U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,977,304 times

Advertisements

Interesting comments here. I find it amusing when I read some posts comparing St. Louis to NYC and/or big cities in CA and/or Chicago. There is no comparison. To me NYC and Chicago are in a league all by themselves, as are the major cities of CA or any other state. St. Louis is an old city, historic in many ways. The many changes that have occurred over the years have left the city in an almost constant state of transition. Struggling at times to redefine itself.

Personally, I like St. Louis. I find the variety of eating establishments a good excuse to make the three hour round trip drive into the city worth the time and effort. Boring? Nah, St. Louis is what you make of it. If your expectations leave you disappointed, frustrated, dissatisfied, and wanting, then perhaps you really need to stop comparing and accept St. Louis for just what it is.

A grand old city offering a tremendous variety to satisfy the most adventurist of souls. Understand, this is not 'lowering' your demands or desires, just re-evaluating and be open to exploration. Just MHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM

33 posts, read 35,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I'm hankering to get back to CA or NY. Even my wife is beginning to miss CA and she is the reason we moved here.

I never felt a disconnect from the community I lived in and I really miss my friends and activities.

Family is the only thing that I like about this area. I missed a lot of family activities in NY by being in California, but the Saint Louis Family almost makes up for those missed events.

Its your choice and with your kids as young as they are, this is as good a time to make that decision.

Wonder if you'll miss In-n-Out, quality Mexican Food, the weather, the mountains, the beaches.

Good Luck
I'll echo this sentiment, since my situation is similar. I'm originally from Lou.,KY and wife from AR, but we moved here from Seattle almost two years ago, for a job relocation. We thought we'd like the slower-paced living, but we also knew we'd be on our own, since we left a good family-base in Seattle.

The first year was fun, since that's the 'honeymoon' or 'adventure' phase. Now that that's wearing off, however, we're starting to miss home in Seattle. Not the crazy traffic, rain, and overpopulation, but family, friends, and the great outdoors.

St. Louis, and Missouri, in general, have some good attributes, but I think I'll always be drawn to where the mountains and oceans adjoin. I think what I'd miss the most about StL is our old brick house in Dutchtown, and thunderstorms in the Spring.

I place the highest value on family and friends, though, since that is what will really define 'home'. If you have more family and friends in StL, then you will most likely be more happy moving back here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis