U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-16-2009, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 12,685 times
Default Gravois Park

Hello,

My fiance and I are looking at homes in the Gravois Park neighborhood. I've done a search for this through the threads and have found a few negative comments, but I would like more information. Is this area completely out of the question? I teach during the day, and my fiance works in the evening, so we will both be home alone a lot.

Thanks-
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:27 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,792,953 times
Gravois Park certainly has a bad reputation on the south side. If you look at a homicide map of 2008 you will see that most south side homicides happened in that particular neighborhood. That's not to say it is a bad place...Cherokee street is booming and a pretty cool place to check out. Overall I would say you will probably be fine, but there are far better south side neighborhoods to look at, especially if safety is a big concern for you.

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:38 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,073,213 times
Given the relatively low prices on nice homes in much safer parts of South City, I have yet to see (and I have looked into it some) how the quality of life issues are significantly offset from the savings/upswing potential of a home in GP.

There are simply better places for the money. How much were you looking to spend and what would you like in a home?

Unread 06-17-2009, 01:14 PM

1,127 posts, read 2,120,414 times
Well, I can tell you a few things that the other posters didn't. The racial demographics from that area are:
White %: 36
Black %: 55
Hispanic %: 5
Asian %: 6
From living on the southside my entire life I can tell you a few things. You will find that most of the houses in Gravois Park are inexpensive, small, 1 or 2 story homes. Honestly, the area is mostly lower-middle class as far as income goes. Most of the area west of highway 55, south of Arsenal Street, east of Gravois Avenue, and north of Marquette Park is where most of the crime on the southside is located. Also, as I do adore the Shaw neighborhood, the area isn't exactly the safest (A few years ago at my school, we had to go inside during recess when two gunshots were fired about two blocks west of my school). On the southside, generally the farther south-southwest you go, the safer the area. And generally the eastside of the southside is less safe. TGS summed up a nearby area very well on the thread "Grand and Gravois...".

Unread 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM
TGS

361 posts, read 1,116,526 times
Thanks for the props, aaronstlcards.

Tanachke, is there any particular reason you are looking in Gravios Park? It is a very high crime area with drug dealing and gang warfare. People do get shot and killed in that neighborhood on a frequent basis, though most of the victims were involved in crime.

Gravois Park does have benefits: some good brick houses at dirt cheap prices. It is likely that the area will eventually gentrify. Some people like the challange of living such areas. It is also relatively close to some nice areas. That said, I can't think of a reason I would live there when the nice areas nearby are also pretty affordable.

Unread 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM

We are looking at spending about $75,000. This will make our mortgage extremely cheap and allow us to pay off all our student loans in a timely manner.

Unread 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM

We are finding a lot of cheap homes in GP, more so than in other areas, that we like. A couple friends of ours live there and haven't had any problems (2 friends, 2 separate homes). But after reading all of this, I'm not so sure I want to live there. We are looking for homes that are brick, hardwood floors, have 2-3 bedrooms, and if we can find it 2 bathrooms. We do not have a lot of money for a total gut rehab.

Unread 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you all for reading my thread and helping with this decision. I don't want to end up a statistic, or robbed just because I'm in the market for a cheaper deal.

Unread 06-17-2009, 04:33 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,792,953 times
No problem. My cousin recently bought a house in my neighborhood, Northampton for 73,000. It obviously needed some serious updating, but it was all cosmetic and they have a fantastic backyard and basement. Not to mention that Northampton is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city.

There are plenty of great deals out there, and if safety is one of your top concerns I would suggest sticking to the 63109 and 63139 zip codes. There are some safe neighborhoods in 63116 and 63110 too but it isn't as uniform as in the other two. To get a good idea of how safe a neighborhood is, check out the crime stats from the SLMPD at SLMPD: Crime Statistics (http://www.slmpd.org/crimestats/index.htm - broken link). Good luck!

Unread 06-17-2009, 05:45 PM

1,127 posts, read 2,120,414 times
I found 6 homes that seem to match your criteria and might help.
63104 Real Estate Listings and 63104 Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis