Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 AM

26 posts, read 130,262 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering a move to St. Louis through my job, and was wondering what areas to consider for housing. I have a five year-old daughter, so good schools are important. I would be working in the University area near North Grand, but I am used to a 35-45 minute commute right now, so I don't mind driving in from the suburbs. I've looked on some of the real estate sites, and there are some areas in my price range, but I'm not sure what these places are like. Is it realistic to look for housing under $200K within this communte time? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,331 times
Check out Fenton...44 is a good run into downtown, that is until the 40 crowd moves over.

Fenton is booming with new shopping and a theatre under construction.

Rockwood schools are tops in the state to boot!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Default Fenton it is!

I thoroughly agree with Inoxkeeper. Until my wife and I decided to look at St. Joseph as a place to relocate from California, we had Fenton at the top of our list of places in the St. Louis area. It's got terrific parks, I-44 and State Highway 30 going west from Fenton are very scenic, the Rockwood School District is very highly rated, and it's a pretty quick romp on 8-lane I-44 east into St. Louis. We drove around the San Luis Trails subdivision (Trails Drive and nearby streets). Quiet, peaceful, lots of early to mid '70s ranch style homes with a few 2-story homes mixed in, prices around $160,000 to $200,000. I think the schools in the Jefferson County portion of Fenton should be quite good too; maybe Inoxkeeper can provide additional details on them. Plenty of good shopping at Gravois Bluffs shopping center.

Only caveat, and Inoxkeeper mentioned this too: You'll have to put up with some pretty serious traffic for a few years as 12 miles of Highway 40 (Interstate 64) gets completely overhauled (www.thenewi64.com) (broken link). But this temporary situation aside, I think anyone relocating to the St. Louis area should give Fenton serious consideration.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:30 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Default Fenton clarification

A clarification to my previous post: My wife and I drove around the San Luis Trails subdivision in Fenton while we were on vacation in May 2006. It's a beautiful, established neighborhood and most of the back yards are spacious if steeply sloped in some cases. But they would be great for a young child to play and have fun.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,331 times
You will want to stay in Saint Louis County for schools. If you compare the Fox district to Rockwood you will see why.

I have a sophomore and a senior at Rockwood. I am proud to say the senior
has a 4.2 GPA, scored 28 on the ACT and won an academic scholarship to Mizzou! The sophomore has a 3.7 GPA. That's why I vote for Rockwood.
Almost every kid there is college bound...Rockwood is all good!

Check out the area between 44 and 30 using HWY 141. The area near the highschool is very nice. You will find the price range your looking for, it's been a great place to raise a family for us.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 AM

26 posts, read 130,262 times
Thanks Inoxkeeper and Northbayeric for your replies, they were very helpful! I'll definately look into this area.
Thanks again,
Chuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis