Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
so what, in your humble opinion, does a "typical" STL house look like? Please share, this STL native is quite puzzled.
The house I just posted is in Compton Heights.
Why feed the troll?

No matter what picture you'll post, he'll have some objection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM

70 posts, read 228,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
from what i see now only downtown and suburbs are nice. and im sure there is a lot of nice houses like the one you just show me but they are pricey :P
Not really sure why I'm chiming in here - it seems likely that you're just trolling to get a rise out of people who know better. There are beautiful homes and neighborhoods all over the city. Some quite affordable, others quite pricey. You are either being dishonest or are ignorant/misinformed. Try holly hills, st. Louis hills, compton heights, Lafayette square, and maybe Southampton. There are plenty more, but that should at least get you started...

Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 PM

80 posts, read 221,941 times
As a transplant, I wouldn't be interested in living anywhere in the metro area outside of the city. If it wasn't for neighborhoods like the CWE, Compton Heights, Tower Grove etc. I would have never stayed here. The suburbs just aren't that appealing. I recognize many people get turned away from the city by the hassles of the schooling issue if they have kids, but I'm not sure how one could think that the city isn't the greatest determinant of regional success. Suburbs here are just like the suburbs everywhere else, but with excessive smoking, provincial attitudes, and an extra dose of "Missourah" redneck-ism.

Let's see the suburbs have: shopping malls......check, lots of cars......check, a grocery store you can see from your house but can't get to without driving because there isn't a walkable route......check. That can be had anywhere in America. What sets STL apart is gorgeous architecture in great walkable neighborhoods in the city.

No doubt a lot of natives try to pretend like there can be a metro area without a strong core.....ummm ask the homeowners in suburban Detroit how that worked out for them.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
Eyeam - Yes, you are right, the city has nothing to offer - no Science Center, no zoo, no Art Museum, no History Museum, no night life, no City Museum, no Forest Park, no architecture, no historic homes, nothing! Oh, and half of the Delmar Loop isn't in the city either. Washington Avenue isn't in the city either - in fact, it doesn't exist. Forget The Hill, it all picked up and relocated to Creve Coeur last week - the only stipulation was that all of the ALL-BRICK homes had to "update" 3 sides to vinyl siding.

We here in the city are so envious of the county residents - especially those in Chesterfield - I hear they're getting a new Applebee's and maybe even a new office park!

What exactly is all this that the county has to offer that you speak of? Grant's Farm, 1-2 miles out of the city, Magic House 6.5 miles from my house in Dogtown. The city has dining and night life options that the residents of the sea of vinyl in the burbs could only dream of. A 5 star restaurant to the typical suburbanite is a meal from TGI Friday's or if they are "well off," Olive Garden!

patrix - I think we have all figured out that you are trolling at this point, but the homes you speak of in the city that are "ugly" are beautiful to urbanites and the envy or urbanites in "newer" cities. We call them "urban." An urban home is to be close to the sidewalk, close to the homes next to it, etc, etc. They were built this way to accomodate walkability - something the auto-centric in the burbs cannot comprehend - why walk when you have a perfectly good gas guzzling SUV in your driveway?

http://images.oldhouseweb.com/stories/bitmaps/10233/houses1.jpg (broken link)

Ugh, disgusting!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 PM

74 posts, read 182,158 times
BoomBoxing:
Quote:
...Central West End, the hill....
I may be thinking about this incorrectly, but what I was basically thinking when someone mentioned living 'in the city' was equating that to living in lofts in the middle of downtown - not places like CWE. That's kind of what I meant when I said that I wouldn't really recommend living 'in the city' - living in the lofts in the middle of downtown. Like I said before, it's not that there's anything wrong with it, I just don't think it's as important to live downtown in a small city like St. Louis where things are fairly spread out as it would be in a larger, more dense city where everything you want is directly in the city.

AJohnston_STL:

Take offense much? You need to relax.
Quote:
We here in the city are so envious of the county residents - especially those in Chesterfield - I hear they're getting a new Applebee's and maybe even a new office park!
Normally, I wouldn't do this but, since you put STL in this perspective: you realize that where I moved here from (San Jose / San Francisco Bay area), STL is basically the equivalent of the Chesterfield in your comment. St. Louis basically "has an Applebee's" compared to what's offered out there. To be perfectly honest, the Zoo and Forest park are the only things you mentioned that are worth mentioning. I find the delmar loop to be highly overrated. The art musuem and history museums are very substandard comparitively speaking. Architecture is very subjective - in terms of historical purposes, I think STL architecture is neat because it's old - but at the same time, I actually think it's very ugly. I don't like brick homes - I prefer the Spanish style arctitecture of the western states. That's just my opinion - don't get your panties in a ruffle again because I have a different opinion than you. Normally I wouldn't be this critical because I like to respect other people's opinions and feelings about their cities - I'm not here to cause problems. But, since you decided to fly off the handle for absolutely no reason whatsoever, then fine - I'll give you an honest opinion. Now you have something to fly off the handle about - Enjoy.
Quote:
A 5 star restaurant to the typical suburbanite is a meal from TGI Friday's or if they are "well off," Olive Garden!
Yeah, because people that live in Clayton, Town and Country, or Ladue are just dying to eat at Olive Garden.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
from what i see now only downtown and suburbs are nice. and im sure there is a lot of nice houses like the one you just show me but they are pricey :P
wtf are you talking about? you think nice houses in the county are not pricey? you get what you pay for...in the county or the city....there are plenty of run down ****ty parts of the county...just like the city....the city has million+ homes like the county....but the county has the city beat when it comes to trailer parks.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeam View Post
BoomBoxing:
I may be thinking about this incorrectly, but what I was basically thinking when someone mentioned living 'in the city' was equating that to living in lofts in the middle of downtown - not places like CWE. That's kind of what I meant when I said that I wouldn't really recommend living 'in the city' - living in the lofts in the middle of downtown. Like I said before, it's not that there's anything wrong with it, I just don't think it's as important to live downtown in a small city like St. Louis where things are fairly spread out as it would be in a larger, more dense city where everything you want is directly in the city.

AJohnston_STL:

Take offense much? You need to relax.
Normally, I wouldn't do this but, since you put STL in this perspective: you realize that where I moved here from (San Jose / San Francisco Bay area), STL is basically the equivalent of the Chesterfield in your comment. St. Louis basically "has an Applebee's" compared to what's offered out there. To be perfectly honest, the Zoo and Forest park are the only things you mentioned that are worth mentioning. I find the delmar loop to be highly overrated. The art musuem and history museums are very substandard comparitively speaking. Architecture is very subjective - in terms of historical purposes, I think STL architecture is neat because it's old - but at the same time, I actually think it's very ugly. I don't like brick homes - I prefer the Spanish style arctitecture of the western states. That's just my opinion - don't get your panties in a ruffle again because I have a different opinion than you. Normally I wouldn't be this critical because I like to respect other people's opinions and feelings about their cities - I'm not here to cause problems. But, since you decided to fly off the handle for absolutely no reason whatsoever, then fine - I'll give you an honest opinion. Now you have something to fly off the handle about - Enjoy.
Yeah, because people that live in Clayton, Town and Country, or Ladue are just dying to eat at Olive Garden.
Oh, so you're one of those who don't understand city limits, logic, reasoning, etc. "The city" is the entire city of St Louis. "Downtown" is downtown.

And people in Town & Country and Ladue are not typical of a St Louis county resident, are they? Ya know, considering the whole avg home prices in the 7-900k, average median in come in the mid-100s+

Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
wtf are you talking about? you think nice houses in the county are not pricey? you get what you pay for...in the county or the city....there are plenty of run down ****ty parts of the county...just like the city....the city has million+ homes like the county....but the county has the city beat when it comes to trailer parks.
SouthCity09 - You are plumb silly! A "nice house" is obviously a 3-vinyl-side with a brick presentation 3,000 sf McMansion that runs a cool $150k in some of the less expensive suburbs.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM

74 posts, read 182,158 times
Quote:
Oh, so you're one of those who don't understand city limits, logic, reasoning, etc. "The city" is the entire city of St Louis. "Downtown" is downtown.
Yeah, because logic and reasoning go hand in hand with the way city limits are defined. Consider if a person said this: "Oh, you don't like golf? That must be because you were never good at golf, logic, reasoning, etc." See how those don't apply? Perhaps you don't realize it, but grouping logic and reasoning together with something that has absolutely nothing to do with those is both illogical and unreasonable. Anyways, I think something we can both agree on is that I'm sure we're boring everyone else so we should be done with the 'argument' now. You completely misunderstood my original point, and got very offended when you shouldn't have. I wasn't trying to say that the city 'sucks' and you shouldn't live there. My point was extraordinarily simple, which either you failed to grasp or perhaps I poorly articulated, and that was that in order to enjoy the things St. Louis has to offer (some of the things that you mentioned), it is not necessary to live right 'in the city'. In any event, I apologize if my original post was misunderstood.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,255 times
omg whats the reason to argue? i just asked a question, i got the answer and that's it.
And yes i like a white vinyl siding house in nice neighborhood can be more expensive than $150,000 lol Saint Louis houses doesnt look impressive to me because it's just brick. I think im aloud to have my personal opinion.
I lke many old houses e.g victorian with vinyl siding or something like that. havent seen any houses like that in saint louis at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis