Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

^^ Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
I live in Dogtown, it's nice and we really like it, but if I were single, definitely Central West End, Downtown, or Soulard.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 13,067 times
The Central West End. End of story.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,930 times
Lafayette Square

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM

252 posts, read 960,773 times
The Central West End is probably the only St. Louis neighborhood that actually has a bustling urban feel (i.e., an active street life), though it's still pretty quaint by national standards.

Downtown is still more or less dead after sundown, with a few pockets of activity here and there.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:35 PM

325 posts, read 851,116 times
Well, I guess I'll post this again since any of these threads is bound to get buried!

I live in the Shaw neighborhood and couldn't be happier. I am married and have young kids. There is a great Montessori K-6 Charter school in the neighborhood. Tower Grove Farmer's Market is an awesome Saturday morning with live music and great local vendors. We walk to the Botanical Gardens, Tower Grove Park, Reservoir Park and are an easy bike ride from Forest Park.

Yes, there is some crime in the neighborhood (mostly property crime) but we feel completely safe here. The kids play outside and ride bikes up and down the street. The neighborhood Dog Park is a great place to take Fido and meet your neighbors. We have a neighborhood bar Thurman Grill that is a nice casual place to meet neighbors for a beer, but we also have Sasha's on Shaw which is a very hip wine bar (pricey but delicious! and great ambiance).

We are only a few blocks from the South Grand business district that has amazing international restaurants. We are a few block from The Hill with all its Italian restaurants and groceries. There is a strong Catholic Parish (St. Margaret of Scotland) with a good school as well as Disciples of Christ, Presbyterian (PCUSA), and two Baptist churches (one of which has a K-12 school).

There is a strong neighborhood association and a great community feel. Our family could not be happier here!

I also lived in Southhampton and really liked it there. They are really revitalizing Macklind with lots of new businesses. CWE is neat neighborhood and we visit there regularly, but I'm not sure that my rowdy family would ever be comfortable living there. We do NOT have the class or high standards! LOL!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,886 times
Tower Grove South, more specifically Tower Grove Heights historical district. The neighborhood is so nice and clean, and everyone says hello and knows one another. You can walk to Tower Grove park and there's a coffee shop close by too. The houses are beautiful and unique too.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
The Central West End is probably the only St. Louis neighborhood that actually has a bustling urban feel (i.e., an active street life), though it's still pretty quaint by national standards.

Downtown is still more or less dead after sundown, with a few pockets of activity here and there.
Wrong, The Central West End along with Tower Grove South, Gravois Park, South Hampton, Bevo Mill, Dutchtown and about six other neighborhoods have population density's of at least 8,500 people per square mile.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:29 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
I swore I posted a reply to this thread but I guess I didn't. I can't pick one favorite so I'm going to list my favorites for certain things.

Date night: This one is easy, the Hill of course! My girlfriend and I both love Italian so we head there as often as possible.

Guys night: Tower Grove south is an easy choice. Between the Tin Can, Three Monkeys, and Tower Pub, it's easy to find cheap beer and fun people on that great stretch of Morganford.

Group night out: Soulard baby! This is the perfect pub crawl neighborhood, and it is close to even more amazing bars in Benton Park and Downtown!

Brunch and shopping: Central West End and Lafeyette Square are top choices. With great coffee shops, unique stores, awesome architecutre, and bustling crowds, you could easily lose an entire day just walking around.

I'm going to stop myself because I could rave about St. Louis' neighborhoods all day long. In my opinion it is really what makes the city so special. I suppose if you really had to twist my arm and force me to name the one I like the most I would probably say Tower Grove South.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 PM

177 posts, read 422,159 times
Southwest Garden, hands down. No contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis