Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 20,814 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family is relocating to the St. Louis area next month. I took a position with the University and am looking for a good area to relocate to. We are moving from Dallas TX and currently live in the burbs. We like the burbs because they tend to be more conservative and family focused. What area(s) would you suggest? We have small school-aged children so great public schools are a top priority for us. My wife stays home and I would like no more than a 30 min commute. The price range we would like to stay in is around 250-275k. Is there a conservative, affordable, safe, well educated, short commute community near SLU that you could suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 06:17 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
There are going to be a lot of good options for you, but my first suggestion would be anywhere in the Lindbergh school district. That area is directly south of I-44, which will give you a very short commute. The public schools are better than their reputation (which is already pretty good). It is the only decent school district in the area to offer the IB high school program. The area is classic suburbia with great access to all the city amenties.

Directly to the north is Kirkwood and Webster Groves, which are also very good but you will get less house for your money. Anywhere in the West County (Parkway, Ladue, Rockwood) school districts would also work, but the areas closer to SLU are pretty expensive and for the reaonsably priced homes you will have a further commute.

The good news is that you are going to have a LOT of options.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks TGS. What are the suburbs in the lindbergh school district? I dont find a way to search for homes by school district.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADZ View Post
Thanks TGS. What are the suburbs in the lindbergh school district? I dont find a way to search for homes by school district.
Sappington or Sunset Hills, Green Park, Crestwood...all those are safe, affordable..not sure if they are conservative...all are relatively close to SLU...less than a 30min drive...you can take either I/44 or 55 and its about a 15-20min drive from Lindbergh high school to SLU..

Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
I am very partial to Lake Saint Louis. It man to have the urban environment that some people crave, but It feels like you are living in a Beach Community rather than the Midwest.

You can easily get a nice home in the ninth best place to live in the United States in the $200k range.

It is very conservative (the Walmart is on Ronald Reagan Boulevard and even though I consider myself a liberal, I still feel right at home here. Its a very family oriented community with lots of activities for kids and teenagers. The Schools out here are good, and it roughly a 30-45 minute drive to downtown.

One good thing about StL metro is that traffic is relatively light.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:19 PM

I have not considered any of these areas. I am a bit nervous about this upcoming move. Reading about the areas gives me hope. I need to narrow down my search a bit though as I feel I am all over the place. If I am heading down for a 2 day trip what areas should I try and see?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I have not considered any of these areas. I am a bit nervous about this upcoming move. Reading about the areas gives me hope. I need to narrow down my search a bit though as I feel I am all over the place. If I am heading down for a 2 day trip what areas should I try and see?
I would check out Sappington if you want Lindbergh School District.
Sappington, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sappington-Missouri.html

Old 07-19-2009, 10:37 PM

thanks for the strong information southcity. Is this an area you have personal experience with?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
thanks for the strong information southcity. Is this an area you have personal experience with?
my grandparents live there... Like TGS said you have a lot of options...with a 200-275 range for a house...you can find pretty much everything you are looking for and more, also with a way housing is going now...you can probably get a 300k house for 250k

Last edited by SouthCity09; 07-19-2009 at 11:03 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 11:09 PM

16 posts, read 39,642 times
I currently have about a 20-25 minute drive to Wash U from my house which would make it 30-35 to SLU. I think this will get shorter once 64 is complete (by the end of the year?). I'm afraid that I'll be a bit of a broken record if I keep gushing about where I live, but I really do love it here.

We are in West County between page and olive, just west of 270. Very suburban and plenty of houses with decent yards in the 200-275 range (including a 4BR/3BA right down the street from my house at 250K). We are in the Parkway North system and Ross Elementary is within walking distance - it is supposed to be very good. The neighborhood is super safe. I don't know the politics of my neighbors but they are a mix of older people and younger families. Everyone is very friendly. We live on a closed no through traffic loop so most people are out walking dogs, etc past each others houses all summer. The subdivision next door has a pool somewhere that you can apparently pay to use.

I would check out the areas in West County to see what the commute feels like to you. It may feel too long or it might be just fine. It is a matter of personal taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis