Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebound101 View Post
You are nuts to even compare St Louis with Minneapolis/Twin Cities.

Yes I have lived in both and they are on to different ends of the spectrum.

Minneapolis has been rated year after year for safest city, top school, best career, for family, young professionals and lets not forget they beat St Louis in the world series! . It is very forward thinking, progessive, forward thinking and acts as one metro area, about 500,000 people larger, bigger downtown's, fun stuff to do.

St Louis is soo divided, the first thing you are asked over and over is "what high school did you go to" like they are a bunch of hicks. Come on St Louis, 50% of your city is in ruins, you are rated the most dangerous city you are compared to Detroit and Cleveland. The people and officals have given up on making this once great city another great city. Everywhere you go it abandon buildings, it makes me sick seeing people not care. Hey St Louis your public schools are not accredited!! Are you kidding me? Get the school system and people together.

Yea the weather in the winter is easier in St Louis, however the summers here are 90-100 for 3 straight months. At lease you can enjoy summers in Minneapolis. It ends up being that you live indoors during the winter in St Louis and in the summer, at lease Minneapolis you can spend lots of time outdoors.

I am personally burnt out living in St Louis after being in Minneapolis, they are two different cities moving in two different directions. Don't believe me? Look at population trends, looking school systems, economy and so on.

I do think St Louis could have so much going for it but the people have given up 30-50 years ago. I am not sure what it would take to bring back the city.
Hyperbole much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 PM

266 posts, read 464,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Oh none of the above links can match the utter beauty and elegance of new construction...

I realize everyone has their own preferences but this is like arguing about the Black Eyed Peas versus the Beatles. Hint: contemporary suburban construction is the Black Eyed Peas of architecture.

I prefer a more modern look. People usually prefer whatever they're used to or grew up around, hence why I as an outsider prefer a modern look instead of old architecture. Much of St. Louis is old and raggedy and in need of some serious updating. I fear with the recession the city will just look worse.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
I prefer a more modern look. People usually prefer whatever they're used to or grew up around, hence why I as an outsider prefer a modern look instead of old architecture. Much of St. Louis is old and raggedy and in need of some serious updating. I fear with the recession the city will just look worse.
Perhaps you should widen your horizons and educate yourself to the wealth of architecture that is all around you.
What an idea.......
STL has some fabulous examples of classic modern architecture, you should really stop bagging on the "old" stuff, as you call it, and go look around the city.
You might be surprised.
But perhaps complaining is easier.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Perhaps you should widen your horizons and educate yourself to the wealth of architecture that is all around you.
What an idea.......
STL has some fabulous examples of classic modern architecture, you should really stop bagging on the "old" stuff, as you call it, and go look around the city.
You might be surprised.
But perhaps complaining is easier.
I've been here for two years. I know what I'm talking about--it's my opinion. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:14 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Quote:

I have a feeling that your idea of "updating" is tearing down all the brick buildings and trees and replace them with vinyl cul de sacs. By the way does anyone know of any glaring examples of modern architecture in St. Louis? Yeah I can't think of any either....

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
Quote:
I've been here for two years. I know what I'm talking about--it's my opinion. Different strokes for different folks.
I get it. There are some nice new affordable apartments out the page extension. Easy access to main st. St. Charles and Westport. Have you looked there yet? There are tons of newly remodeled apartments downtown too.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebound101 View Post
You are nuts to even compare St Louis with Minneapolis/Twin Cities.

Yes I have lived in both and they are on to different ends of the spectrum.

Minneapolis has been rated year after year for safest city, top school, best career, for family, young professionals and lets not forget they beat St Louis in the world series! . It is very forward thinking, progessive, forward thinking and acts as one metro area, about 500,000 people larger, bigger downtown's, fun stuff to do.

St Louis is soo divided, the first thing you are asked over and over is "what high school did you go to" like they are a bunch of hicks. Come on St Louis, 50% of your city is in ruins, you are rated the most dangerous city you are compared to Detroit and Cleveland. The people and officals have given up on making this once great city another great city. Everywhere you go it abandon buildings, it makes me sick seeing people not care. Hey St Louis your public schools are not accredited!! Are you kidding me? Get the school system and people together.

Yea the weather in the winter is easier in St Louis, however the summers here are 90-100 for 3 straight months. At lease you can enjoy summers in Minneapolis. It ends up being that you live indoors during the winter in St Louis and in the summer, at lease Minneapolis you can spend lots of time outdoors.

I am personally burnt out living in St Louis after being in Minneapolis, they are two different cities moving in two different directions. Don't believe me? Look at population trends, looking school systems, economy and so on.

I do think St Louis could have so much going for it but the people have given up 30-50 years ago. I am not sure what it would take to bring back the city.

I'm sorry you've been unhappy in St. Louis but much of your post in inaccurate.

The Special Administrative Board that took control of St. Louis Public Schools in 2007 has dramatically improved the district’s public image and operational stability and late last year voters approved a $155 million bond issue to improve facilities.

The best high school in the state is the selective enrollment Metro Classical Academy -- a St. Louis public school.

The average high in St. Louis doesn't hit 90 until thr 4th of July and is under it again by the 8th of August. The average high historically is never 100. Those days happen but are quite rare: Daily Averages for Saint Louis, MO - weather.com

No where near 50% of the city is in ruins. Prove it.

Calling us hicks gives you away as a troll, but regardless, you're also wrong. St. Louis saw the highest increase in colege grads of any major American city in the last decade with nearly 8% (2000-2009).

Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
So after this weekend I feel like I can comment on this. My two dear friends from Minneapolis were in town to visit. They LOVED St Louis. I took them through Soulard, to the brewery, Lafayette Square, Arch, Wash Ave, Forest Park, The Loop and Tower Grove. They kept remarking about the awesome architecture, red brick, walkability and couldn't believe how incredible our parks were. They also remarked on the density of the city and how we had so many areas that were vibrant. They kept mentioning how it seemed way more walkable than Minneapolis. Now, I dont want to diss Minneapolis in any way, I love it and think it has a better young professional scene, better economy and overall is a cleaner city. Saying STL is more hick is ridiculous, as rural Minnesota isn't that much different than rural Missouri.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Sorry dear, but living in STL for 2 years does not equate to knowing of which you speak.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Sorry dear, but living in STL for 2 years does not equate to knowing of which you speak.
I know I'm a transplant. And that's why the city looks old to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis