U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2007, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,154 times
Default Moving to St. Louis

My fiancé and I will be moving to St. Louis next year for his residency and we were looking to buy a house in the 100K to 150K range. He wants to be within a 3-5 miles/ 10-15 min radius of Barnes Jewish. What areas do you guys suggest? We don't care about schools because we won't be having children for at least another 3 years and by the time they reach school going age, we'll have moved on.

I've looked at a few houses in U-City, Richmond Heights, CWE, and Dogtown, but I couldn't find anything I liked too much. I don't want a condo. I would like a nice fenced in yard for a future dog.

What are city taxes like? How about crime in the B-J Hospital surrounding area? How far are good restaurants and shopping for the area? Public parks?

We also want to live in a place that has ample public transportation and services such as trash pick up and recycling. As far as I can gather, the city has limited curb side recycling that you have to sign up for.

Any input will be appreciated. We will be getting a real estate agent in a couple of months and we want to go in prepared for the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 07:59 PM

366 posts, read 1,170,468 times
I have been selling quite a lot of condos to Washington U. grad students in the last few years. The areas that you are talking about has mainly condos which you aren't looking for. There are quite a few nice homes in the area but not in the price range you're looking for. The best area for you in that price range would be the dogtown or hill area. Nice homes can be found in both areas and they are close to public transportation and some great restaurants. I have sent you a private message. I hope this will help.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:43 AM

238 posts, read 2,001 times
South city would be a great place to look where you can still find houses in that price range. I own a real estate and mortgage company and if you like would be happy to answer any questions that you still might have.

Bob

Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 22,573 times
I agree that south city would be a good place for you to find a house in that price range, also a neighborhood called the Grove would be very convenient for your husband.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 22,026 times
Default Place to live under 150k

I would recommend looking away from the Grove as well, unless you are OK with an up-and-coming neighborhood that could be a bit dicey for a few years. My advice would be to move into The Hill (it is very safe and quiet)... you can't go wrong with a little bungalow there and a couple years ago you could find one 2bed rehabbed with a finiished basement for around 150. So, there are probably still deals to be found in your range. Otherwise, I would look in the area around Murdoch in the South City area that is coming along with coffee shops. South Hampton gingerbread houses near Ted Drewes may also work. The other area that is in transition (aside from the Grove- which is a fine investment ) is the "Oak Hill" neighborhood and the South Tower Grove area on the 4000-4200 blocks. That area along Morgan Ford is seeing a resurgance with a new grocery. But, there were some parish and school closings that made it in transition longer than need be... it looks like it is coming along now with fewer abandoned buildings. If you have the patence you can get more for your money there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis