Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Haha, would be nice but it's mostly families w/kids round here. All the young hipsters are living in U. City or the lofts downtown. I used to live in the Central West End, it was fun, but getting your car broken into like twice a year wasn't cool.

Ever checked out Donatelli's Bistro on N or Logan's near K and 40? Those places are decent, oh and I forgot Kitaro.
Donatelli's was a disappointment, the food was OK, but a bit over-priced for what it is. Service was horrible, but sometimes restaurants have off nights.

WingHaven Area appears to have some quality establishments which I need to explore, but HWY 40 and K are still seven miles away.

Not far by any means, but not exactly convenience if you just want to get a cup of coffee (from someplace other than starbucks) to get out of the house when you are working from home.

Kitaros is a Chain (never liked the Irvine, CA store so I so I have no reason visit the local shop)

Somebody dropped the ball when planning The Meadows. it could have been a smaller version of this, but between the economy hitting the skids and the lack of imagination it is essentially just a fancy strip mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,714 times
We typically now go to the Galleria since we can actually walk there on a nice day, but we prefer some of the stores at West County Mall. I agree that the traffic and parking around West County Mall is a mess, and the lots at the Galleria are much easier to navigate, even if the garage does feel a bit claustrophobic. As for Northwest Plaza it is pretty much a ghost town now, isn't it? Crestwood is trying to revitalize itself with its "artsy" stores but I do not know if people are actually buying anything there. And I have never seen any evidence of more crime or "inner city" presence at the Galleria. Frontenac is a nice place to perhaps eat or go to their theater, but we never actually shop there (although they do have nice rest rooms)!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,642 times
I'll throw a vote to West County Mall.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 AM

419 posts, read 1,332,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wustu87 View Post
We typically now go to the Galleria since we can actually walk there on a nice day, but we prefer some of the stores at West County Mall. I agree that the traffic and parking around West County Mall is a mess, and the lots at the Galleria are much easier to navigate, even if the garage does feel a bit claustrophobic. As for Northwest Plaza it is pretty much a ghost town now, isn't it? Crestwood is trying to revitalize itself with its "artsy" stores but I do not know if people are actually buying anything there. And I have never seen any evidence of more crime or "inner city" presence at the Galleria. Frontenac is a nice place to perhaps eat or go to their theater, but we never actually shop there (although they do have nice rest rooms)!
NW Plaza= Dead. Ran by the Macy's there last week on the way to an appt. THe mall is like 80% vacancy/ The only smaller stores left in NW Plaza are cell phone places and cheapo jewelry stores, for the most part?! No major run-of-the-day mall stores aren't even there?! No Bath and Body Works, GAP, or Victoria's Secret. The food court has like 3 open vendors. The movie theater is empty. There are no sitdown restaurants any more. It was shocking, as i hadn't been there in years. A Macy's employee told me that a HUGE multi-million dollar reno had been planned to return it BACK into the outdoor center it was originally built to be. That beings said, that plan is now all now up in the air as hellooooo economy.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:39 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieNeno View Post
NW Plaza= Dead. Ran by the Macy's there last week on the way to an appt. THe mall is like 80% vacancy/ The only smaller stores left in NW Plaza are cell phone places and cheapo jewelry stores, for the most part?! No major run-of-the-day mall stores aren't even there?! No Bath and Body Works, GAP, or Victoria's Secret. The food court has like 3 open vendors. The movie theater is empty. There are no sitdown restaurants any more. It was shocking, as i hadn't been there in years. A Macy's employee told me that a HUGE multi-million dollar reno had been planned to return it BACK into the outdoor center it was originally built to be. That beings said, that plan is now all now up in the air as hellooooo economy.
When I was little, that was the only place my Mom would shop, it sure was a beautiful place at Christmas, all the fountains had lights in them instead of the usual h2o, if and when they re-convert it to an outdoor space, I hope they put the fountains back in.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:42 PM

52 posts, read 135,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
pretentious like West County or inner city like the Galleria.
The Galleria is inner-city? Gee, when I was home last year, it was still in a pretty chi-chi neighborhood....

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfez View Post
The Galleria is inner-city? Gee, when I was home last year, it was still in a pretty chi-chi neighborhood....
HAHA, Calling the Galleria inner-city is hilarious, must not get out much.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,785 times
My favorite is St Clair Square in Fairview Heights. I think part of it is because the first place we lived in the area was Fairview Heights and we had a very cozy apartment there, and the mall was just up the street. I love the city and would take it over FH any day, but FH does feel cozy and "like home" to us.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,785 times
Quote:
Not only that, but "inner-city" typically means "within city limits," but the Galleria is 5 miles out of city limits.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
Quote:
Yeah, there is pretty much nothing inner-city about the Galleria. I forget which actual municipality it is in (Richmond Heights?) but it certainly isn't in the actual city, and the area is full of higher-end shopping, expensive SUV's, and women wearing giant rocks on their fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis