Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times

Advertisements

Fashion Island in Newport Beach, and the South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa are two great malls that unfortunately have one marked disadvantage compared to their St. Louis counterparts: one honkin' sales tax rate, thanks to the pols in Sacramento from Schwarzenegger on down. Would St. Louis-area residents like to pay a sales tax higher than 9 percent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Fashion Island in Newport Beach, and the South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa are two great malls that unfortunately have one marked disadvantage compared to their St. Louis counterparts: one honkin' sales tax rate, thanks to the pols in Sacramento from Schwarzenegger on down. Would St. Louis-area residents like to pay a sales tax higher than 9 percent?
True (8.75 sale tax) - adds up nicely on big ticket items. Which until recently were huge revenue generators for Newport Beach and Costa Mesa. If you can afford a $3,000 watch, an extra couple hundred dollars was a drop in the bucket. (and to be fair both malls also have many unique and affordable shops for the working class proles).

But are there any malls in St. Louis that are actually considered destinations? Where people actually fly in to Shop for a day or two?

None of the malls here are truly unique. the Galleria may have a bit more style than West County but when it is all said and done they are both pretty much anymall in anytown USA. Very few of the stores carry any merchandise that you can't buy in Target.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,489 times
Malls were never nor ever will be a destination in my opinion. I would much rather shop at stores such as the macy's downtown and other boutiques than go to a mall.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM

Fashion Island and South Coast plaza (kind of) are the downtowns for their cities.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:22 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post

SHHHHHHHH!!! Please don't give the tax-happy lib voters here any ideas, our incomes are already raided enough for misallocated and misapporpriated funds.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
Sheesh, what's with the constant interjecting of politics in every thread? I realize you're mad and bitter but constantly harping on about it on a regional (non political) message board is about as futile as it gets.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:55 PM

266 posts, read 464,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Malls were never nor ever will be a destination in my opinion. I would much rather shop at stores such as the macy's downtown and other boutiques than go to a mall.
What are some good boutiques in St. Louis? I heard there were some good ones in the Loop, is this true?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
Am I missing something here? For deep dicount outlet mall shopping I find The Mills lacking quantity and quality of stores and merchandise. I also find it to be an aesthetic eye sore. If one likes or seeks this type of shopping I'd suggest a 4.5 hour weekend trip to Kenosha WI, in between Chicago and Milwaukee. It is aesthetically pleasing, with tons more stores and more and better merchandise to choose from among those stores. Parking is easy as every store is entered from the outside.

Parking for West County Mall or whatever it's called these days is pretty easy except for the Holidays.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 AM

I like the Mills. I wouldn't call it an eyesore, it is what it is supposed to be, A Mills store.

I do agree with you that the shops are not really discounting the goods.

But as I have pointed out before on other threads about the general character of this area. Just another example of something that could be great. But for some reason, it winds up far short of the goal.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

But as I have pointed out before on other threads about the general character of this area. Just another example of something that could be great. But for some reason, it winds up far short of the goal.
Headquarters sets the price for those stores, not the individual stores themselves. I dont see what the area has to do with it?
The same retailers in Orlando are charging the same prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis