U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,276,288 times
As if Rams football wasn't embarrassing enough...

Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM

736 posts, read 910,277 times
It won't matter who owns the team-- don't be surprised if the Rams move in 2014, when the owner(s) invoke the clause in their franchise agreement that lets them do that unless the Edward Jones dome is in the top quarter of NFL stadiums. Limbaugh may be from Missouri, but come on-- he's long since moved to the big time, and I'd be shocked if he didn't far prefer to hang out in L.A. over St. Louis.

Many players, apparently particularly including black players, have already said that they wouldn't play for the Rams if Limbaugh was an owner. Could it have been something he said (http://mediamatters.org/limbaughwire/2009/09/15 - broken link)?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:31 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,129,335 times
"If he's rewarded to buy that, congratulations to him. I won't be in St. Louis no time soon," McNabb said.

Good. Your heart and leadership capacity is about as impressive as you grammatical command. Rush is right, Donovan - you're just not that good.

These guys are huge bluffers. They'll refuse to play until they realize that they won't be getting their multi-miillion $$$ salaries, then they'll b*tch a lot but still play anyway.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM

486 posts, read 618,544 times
Good point Cyrano. I'm more curious about what many of the players/potential players for the Rams would think about it. I think that given some of his past comments, and his somewhat extreme views, that many players wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of him being 'their owner'.

On the other hand, he has every right to make a bid...as does anyone else with enough money. Also, I don't think the fan base would change much. It would still be St. Louis' team, and I doubt he would be out in the forefront of day-to-day operations. You'd probably just see him on TV, high up in the owners box on game days. Now, if he turned out to be the 2nd coming of Jerry Jones, or an NFL version of Mark Cuban, you might have some fans hold back from buying tickets and jerseys, but I doubt that will happen.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:48 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,708,416 times
In reading a few of these posts, let's be clear... Limbaugh would be a shareholder and not a majority shareholder. This isn't Mark Cuban or Jerry Jones etc...he'd be part of the group. Kroenke is a long term hold investor and he owns the maximum he is allowed, 40 percent. Limbaugh would be a minority part of the other 60 percent which would be comprised of multiple investors.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,454,879 times
I like Dave Checketts a lot. I'd be willing to put up with Rush as long as he kept his mouth shut and didn't mingle in daily affairs. Fat chance, I know.

I don't think Limbaugh and Checketts will move the team. Limbaugh is from Missouri. I doubt he wants to move the Rams. And Kroenke still owns 40%. Checketts owns the Blues. Why would he want to move the Rams?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:03 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,454,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
It won't matter who owns the team-- don't be surprised if the Rams move in 2014, when the owner(s) invoke the clause in their franchise agreement that lets them do that unless the Edward Jones dome is in the top quarter of NFL stadiums. Limbaugh may be from Missouri, but come on-- he's long since moved to the big time, and I'd be shocked if he didn't far prefer to hang out in L.A. over St. Louis.

Many players, apparently particularly including black players, have already said that they wouldn't play for the Rams if Limbaugh was an owner. Could it have been something he said (http://mediamatters.org/limbaughwire/2009/09/15 - broken link)?
Doesn't really matter if one person wants them moved. Limbaugh, Checketts, and a couple of other investors will own 60% combined. Kroenke owns 40%. I doubt Checketts wants to move the Rams, since he already owns the Blues. I'm not sure what kind of NFL Cross-ownership rules apply, either. Limbaugh has no reason to want to move the Rams. Kroenke has no reason to want to move the Rams either. Kroenke has been trying to keep them in St. Louis.

I realize some may want the Rams back in LA, but if Checketts and Limbaugh win their bid, I see the Rams staying in STL for a while.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:38 AM

9,026 posts, read 9,631,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
St. Louis is a very interesting city. It is the crossroads between both North and South, and East and West. The general consensus though is that Missouri doesnt get really "southern" until a couple of hours south of St. Louis, in the Cape Girardeau-Sikeston area.
I've never really thought of St. Louis as a conservative city. I thought of it like a smaller Chicago until I spent some time there and it's surrounding suburbs. Although I still view it as mostly a liberal city, I was suprised by the strong Southern element and conservative influence it had. To me that really separated it from Chicago. Nonetheless, it's a lot more liberal than Dallas for sure.

If I was a Rams fan, my concern would be the boycotting of the team by draft picks. I think the majority of the picks would sign but perhaps some high profile first round picks might ask to be traded to make a statement and if that's the case, I can see the Rams being forced to trade that player.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 AM

71 posts, read 150,522 times
I am not a Rush fan, by any means, to tell you the truth have not listened to him for a really long time, the last time I was driving from STL to Dallas at like 3am he was on.

People seem to turn this into a Political thing rather then a race thing ever time.

I personally love this saying "St. Louis is more of a liberal town", which may be true BUT!!!!!!! NEWSFLASH! The people who buy Rams tickets are NOT, they are the same people who file into Busch stadium to that support an owner that openly supports the GOP. The majority of attendees to the Rams games are from the surrounding counties or the tickets are purchased by major corporations, which both are predominantly GOP supporters.

St. Louis is a Liberal city, all cities are, but once you get out of the city boundaries, the people with the money, and the ones that WILL go to games, they are predominantly Conservative. What do you think the owners care about, the ones who WILL purchase tickets are those who will NOT????

Wanna turn it into a racial thing

Stephen A. Smith - on the subject puts it quite well

YouTube - Stephen A Smith Defends Rush Limbaugh's Bid for the Rams

Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,613,026 times
While I have no problem with Rush potentially owning the Rams, he has no right to own an NFL franchise, or even a right to submit a bid for one.
The NFL owners, meanwhile, have the right to bar Rush from ever owning any part of any team other than Green Bay and can prevent him from ever even submitting an offer on a franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis