Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM

266 posts, read 464,242 times

Advertisements

Anyone know the best personal training gyms that have nutritionists as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 02:18 PM

270 posts, read 855,117 times
Lifetime Fitness

Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out. Do you know the average cost of a trainer?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
I know you are looking for an actual nutritionist...but Sports Nutrition Guidebook by Nancy Clark is an excellent nutrition reference (the author is a sports nutritionist). It has a lot of great info and changed the way I ate, which helped out a lot with my athletic performance. Plus, it is a much cheaper option.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Best nutrition advice: Follow a diabetic diet. Many performance sports governing bodies (ie: rowing, cycling) recommend that to their world-class athletes.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 AM

270 posts, read 855,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out. Do you know the average cost of a trainer?
I do not, but you can check out their website for information.

www.lifetimefitness.com

Old 12-10-2009, 06:06 AM

82 posts, read 246,684 times
try powerhouse gym...off of chippawa/watson....very knowledgeable staff/trainers.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Best nutrition advice: Follow a diabetic diet. Many performance sports governing bodies (ie: rowing, cycling) recommend that to their world-class athletes.
I hear people say this, but what exactly is a diabetic diet?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Are personal trainers also nutrionists as well? I'm trying to decide if I should use a program like Jenny Craig and just work out, or if I should hire a trainer that would give me a diet to follow to reach my goals. I really need to work on lowering my body fat percentage. I've gained about 15 lbs due to stress and need to get back in shape.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 AM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
Programs like Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, etc, teach you how to count rather than eat healthy. The only way to get in shape (including your weight goals) and stay in shape is through a complete lifestyle and diet change. You need to eat healthy, balanced diet and make sure your calorie intake matches your needs (whether losing or maintaining weight).

You may lose weight with a program...actually, you will lose weight if you follow them, but what most people do is end up gaining it right back because they return to their old habits when the program is over (and their old habits made them unhealthy in the first place). A permanent change to a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and healthy eating is the only way to stay healthy. That is why I highly recommend Nancy Clark's book...it teaches you how to eat healthy rather than count or eat prepacked meals. A personal trainer would be a good idea, as he/she can show you what exercises to perform, and then you can take over on your own after you know what you're doing.

I lost about 40 pounds and have kept it off for 4 years now by changing my lifestyle, and I have no desire to live the way I used to again. Diet counts for 90% of your weight loss, exercise is the other 10%. You can exercise for an hour and completely negate the calories burnt by drinking one milkshake or eating one pre-made gas station muffin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis