U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 18,209 times

Advertisements

I am an incoming medical student at SLU this fall. I am currently in the process of searching for a place to live, but I am not really familiar with the various neighborhoods.

I have heard that the Central West End, LaFayette Square, and Soulard are the most popular neighborhoods for the medical students. What are the pros and cons of these neighborhoods? Which is the safest, relatively speaking? Are there any boundries in these neighborhoods that you wouldn't cross over (e.g. I'm sure there is probably a north boundry of the CWE that wouldn't be overly safe to overstep)? Which neighborhoods have the best nightlife and restaurants?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Unless you don't feel comfortable helping out a Cubs fan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 29,445 times
Hello there!

Well, I think each of these neighborhoods would be good for a young student to live in...they each have a lot of good restaurants/bars and fun things to do! There is a different vibe to each area, though. Soulard and Laf. Square are two of the historic neighborhoods in the city. Soulard is where the city's Mardi Gras celebration takes place each year, so that may be a plus (or a minus) for you? It has a French quarter, blues music kind of feel to it, with tons of great restaurants and bars, lots to do at night, and a nice dog park too!

Lafayette Square is more Victorian looking with it's huge mansions around it's park...fun area with a lively night scene though, too! And the CWE is a more hip/trendy area that, again, has great places to eat/drink and things to do at night.

As for safety, I feel that they're all somewhat similar in that regard, and most of the crime involves theft (maybe more in the CWE than the others?) So, in my opinion, you would take away most of those issues by simpy locking car doors or not leaving a bike outside, etc.

Good luck, and welcome to St. Louis! These are all great areas, and I hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 28,557 times
Default places for a student

Aside from the CWE, Soulard and Lafayetter Park, you should consider the Tower Grove Heights/Oak Hill/Tower Grove South and Shaw neighborhoods. All are near Tower Grove Park, there are plenty of rentals in established neighborhoods (Shaw and Tower Grove Heights have lower crime rates than the three you are considering), and you are convenient (walking distance) to schools/hospitals/food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or