U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,910,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
^What about Clayton, U-City, Richmond Heights, Brentwood, Kirkwood, Webster Groves. You only included areas known for their decline, (besides Maplewood)
With the exception of Webster Groves, all the places you mentioned have decreased in population as well. Here are the 1980 stats, followed by the latest figures (which are from City-Data):

Clayton: 14,306/ 12,556
U-City: 42,690/ 37,428
Richmond Hts.: 11,516/ 9,602
Brentwood: 8,209/ 7,693
Kirkwood: 27,739/ 27,324
Webster Gr.: 23,097/ 23,230

Another inner-ring place that actually increased in population in the past 20 years is the CDP of Glasgow Village. But generally, inner-ring suburbs lost population to the outer-ring.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,946 times
This is exactly why St. Louis county needs to look into the future 20 years and see that they will soon be experiencing an aging population, deteriorating infrastructure, and a decreasing population similar to what St. Louis City is experiencing now. All the more reason why the two should merger.
However I do see the movement back to the city core as gaining momentum with this new generation. I think there is a larger population segment that grew up in the suburbs and exurbs but doesn't necessarily want to raise their family there.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 PM

The city of St Louis has so much to offer, like affordable housing, access to arts and culture, great neighborhoods, the architecture, a rich history, etc.-- none of which is a secret to the many singles and empty nesters who have moved to the city from the suburbs in recent years. The truth is, the city's recent population gains can be largely attributed to the influx of childless people.
Most suburban folks refuse to live in the city because they'd have to enroll the kids in the city's inferior public school system. Put another way, the city schools are the single biggest deterrent to families considering a move to the city. And the district has been in trouble for a long time. It has been plagued by a steadily declining enrollment, sharp budget cuts, shuttered school buildings, a low teacher-to-student ratio, low test scores, and inadequate supplies.
If the city could someday, somehow improve its schools, and parents felt confident about sending their kids there, just imagine how quickly St Louis city's population might increase then.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:11 AM

2,876 posts, read 2,793,289 times
I'm in agreement. Most of my friends who live in the city say that if they had children, they wouldn't. My take was simple, send the kids to private schools. However, considering that there's a part of the population that has no interest in private schools, getting the cities public school system up to snuff would do wonders for the area.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 AM

938 posts, read 2,215,173 times
Not only do the poor public schools prevent families with a choice between the burbs and the city from choosing the city, they also prevent low-income city children with no other educational options from receiving a decent education. This (and many other factors) leads to the kind of poverty and crime that can be seen in north St. Louis.

The magnet schools seem to be helping...I volunteer in one of them and have been impressed with the work ethic of the students...but overall the poor public schools are just as much of a stumbling block to St. Louis becoming the city it should be as the city-county split.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I'm in agreement. Most of my friends who live in the city say that if they had children, they wouldn't. My take was simple, send the kids to private schools. However, considering that there's a part of the population that has no interest in private schools, getting the cities public school system up to snuff would do wonders for the area.
And not everyone can afford the high tuition of private schools.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 PM

8 posts, read 10,860 times
Here's a segway: I'm thinking of moving to Saint louis from the Bay Area,ca. How's the snake population in Saint Louis nieghborhoods?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 AM

270 posts, read 506,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May Garsson View Post
Here's a segway: I'm thinking of moving to Saint louis from the Bay Area,ca. How's the snake population in Saint Louis nieghborhoods?
haha, minimal. I found a gardner snake in the back of my brothers apartment in Dogtown, but that's about as bad as it gets. I imagine you could find some water moccasins near a stream every now and again...

Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 AM

183 posts, read 385,477 times
Quote:
As STLMetro said, there's not that many. My wife doesn't like snakes and we've seen one tiny garter snake in our front yard since August. If you are really worried about snakes, get a Dachshund. Our neighbors have 3 Dachshunds and they like to kill snakes.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:54 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,039,899 times
Quote:
Are you talking about literal snakes? I've never seen one, but I live in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis