U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,231,745 times

Advertisements

My sister's High School band teacher accidentally committed a crime. He made the same mistake and took the students out-of-state (to Illinois). Haha. Of course he brought them right back to Missouri.

Coincidentally I checked to see what my dad was doing and he was talking to someone on the phone about the highway and East St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:34 AM

3 posts, read 33,879 times
Yea if u not from East saint then don't come!! I was born&&raised here && I'm lettin u kno, NEW COMERS ARE NOT WELCOME!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:26 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,257,556 times
Don't worry...I imagine visiting East St. Louis is quite low on pretty much everyones to-do list.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOoSTL View Post
Yea if u not from East saint then don't come!! I was born&&raised here && I'm lettin u kno, NEW COMERS ARE NOT WELCOME!!!
Like anybody WANTS to go there?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 AM

270 posts, read 569,827 times
What is all this hoopla? I just found this post. A few comments based on my experience:

1) Poor neighborhoods have higher crime rates in general
2) Black Americans commit violent crimes at a rate many times higher than white Americans. That's not racism, that's a fact that you can look up in the FBI crime victimization reports.
3) Here you have an intersection of two high crime groups: Black Americans and Poor Americans. It would be mad to assume you wouldn't have high crime there.
4) Let's not get insane. It's not the most dangerous place in the world by far. Have you guys ever been to sao paulo, Brasil or poor area of Rio hell for that matter there are probably a couple of areas in San Jose, Costa Rica that are even more dangerous. In the US we have unrealistic standards for judging how dangerous something is.
5) You won't likely get victimized just driving through. Let's get real here folks. Without getting out of your car you're not likely to be a crime victim. Just don't be dumb enough to stop or get out of the car if you see someone acting suspecious
6) Don't assume everyone from nearly all black areas is a racist. This is just as dumb as assuming everyone white in Arnold is a racist. Although many are in both cases, many are not and would prefer to live in an integrated community but circumstance has kept them there (can't afford to move, take care of relatives in the area, living with family, it's close to work and they get more room for the money, etc).
7) Don;t listen to little boys on the Internet talking about who is welcome where. I'm sure those are 14 year old white boys typing from Mom's basement lol
8) No one should be eating an McDonalds. Ever looked at the nutritional facts? Even the salads are loaded with fat. There's not more than a handfull of things that are even remotely healthy to eat there.
9) People saying you can't talk about a place unless you plan to fix it are really overdramatic. There's this little thing called Freedom of Speech most US citizens learn about.
10) The strip bars are really overrated. Yes, you can see a naked woman. Sometimes they are even attractive. However, at any of them in Wash Park (outside of Flynts and Hollywood) I can assure you that you will run for the hills once you see the women lol

Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,909,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOoSTL View Post

with the crime rate and reputation of East St Louis, who in their right mind would want to come ?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Like anybody WANTS to go there?
It's always on my list while in StL. Best views of the city!

EStL is not that bad. There is nothing there. There are parts of North StL City that make EStL look quite nice.

Sure, it's high crime, especially for a non central city with a small population. But there are so many places much worse across the country and in metro StL.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

EStL is not that bad. There is nothing there. There are parts of North StL City that make EStL look quite nice.

Sure, it's high crime, especially for a non central city with a small population. But there are so many places much worse across the country and in metro StL.
I know, my daddy was born there.......I just HAD to tweak Mr. Gangsta-wannabe!

Old 10-09-2009, 11:29 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,909,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

------" many places much worse"--

True, but when a friend of mine became a stainless transport tank salesman he was only warned about 1 city despite he covers the midwest and travels thru Chicago, Cleveland, Gary Indiana, St Louis.

His boss only mentioned East St Louis when he said to drive the company car on the rim til he finds a safe looking,well lit, service station. ( if need be) before getting out and chjanging a tire in East St Louis.

Strange he never specifically mentioned the others.

My friend puts East St Louis at the bottom of his lists.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:38 AM

5,643 posts, read 13,604,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
------" many places much worse"--

True, but when a friend of mine became a stainless transport tank salesman he was only warned about 1 city despite he covers the midwest and travels thru Chicago, Cleveland, Gary Indiana, St Louis.

His boss only mentioned East St Louis when he said to drive the company car on the rim til he finds a safe looking,well lit, service station. ( if need be) before getting out and chjanging a tire in East St Louis.

Strange he never specifically mentioned the others.

My friend puts East St Louis at the bottom of his lists.
I'm guessing the places a stainless tank salesman goes aren't exactly paradises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or