Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 AM

29 posts, read 100,096 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating from Cali to STL, but lived in Chicago for 8 yrs, so know what Midwestern weather is like.

However, I've been told by some STL residents that the weather in STL is "so much better" than Chicago, because it's not nearly as cold in the winter.

Is that true?

How about the summer? Looks like it's a bit hotter than in Chicago (yikes!)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,851,170 times
The winter isn't near as brutal, it definitely gets cold but nothing compared to Chicago.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM

183 posts, read 631,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestplacetolive View Post
Considering relocating from Cali to STL, but lived in Chicago for 8 yrs, so know what Midwestern weather is like.

However, I've been told by some STL residents that the weather in STL is "so much better" than Chicago, because it's not nearly as cold in the winter.

Is that true?

How about the summer? Looks like it's a bit hotter than in Chicago (yikes!)

Thanks.
It's true for the most part. To give you an idea of my personal experiences with weather, I've lived in Hawaii; Ohio; Syracuse, NY; and New Hampshire. So I've experienced about all extremes of weather and Saint Louis weather is really pleasant.

This winter we had a couple of weeks at the beginning of January that was a lot colder than normal, but that was when the entire country fell into a cold snap. I just moved here on the last weekend in July from Ohio and I've noticed a big difference even though it's only a little further south of where I was in Ohio.

As far as summer, this past summer wasn't all that hot. Depending on what part of Cali you are coming from, I think you would like St. Louis weather more.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,580,146 times
we have an equal amount of all four seasons. I love the variety.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:17 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,937,733 times
Summers can get brutal. Except for national cold snap of last week, winters here are pretty mild.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 PM

50 posts, read 151,001 times
In general, I would guess 5-10 degrees warmer than Chicago year round.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM

74 posts, read 181,425 times
Quote:
we have an equal amount of all four seasons. I love the variety.
I would disagree with this. I do think that St. Louis gets a taste of all four seasons, but I feel that St. Louis weather is dominated mostly by the summer heat and winter cold, with a short amount of moderate weather in between summer and winter. What I think makes Midwest winters worse than they should be is the wind. Wind chill factors can make it feel considerably colder here than it is at times up North. Also, humidity is a factor. Humidity makes winters colder and summers warmer. In terms of snow, we usually get it pretty easy here though compared to other places. As a comparison, I've spent time near the equator and time Alaska and places in between. When we arrived in Alaska, we expected to freeze. To our surprise, it actually felt warmer in Alaska compared to here. Even though the actual temperature was lower in Alaska, the dryer air along with the lack of any wind chill made it feel as though it was warmer.

For people that do like to at least experience a little bit of all four seasons, St. Louis can be a great place for that. Fall can be a beautiful season around here with all the trees changing colors. I think that the downfall of St. Louis weather is that we experience the extremes in both summer and fall, whereas most areas have a harsher winter with a milder summer, or visa versa (or a completely moderate climate with neither a harsh winter or summer). We can see below zero temps in the winter, and above 100 temps in the summer - you won't find that kind of extreme swing in temperature in too many other places.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,580,146 times
Really? I think we are dominated much more by the in between months/seasons of spring and fall. I've lived in the south where summer stretches from April to November.

It's only uncomfortably hot here for a few weeks in July and August (generally speaking) and brutally cold here in late December and All of January.

For me a humid winter is way more comfortable than a dry one. For example, the dryer cold is brutal on your lips and skin and causes nosebleeds.

Is it that windy here? With all the trees, buildings and hills it's a far cry from Chicago or the great plains.

Look, I never claim the weather here to be paradise as we do have our extremes. I just like the variety of seasons, equal or not, as each day brings something new.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 PM

74 posts, read 181,425 times
Quote:
Is it that windy here? With all the trees, buildings and hills it's a far cry from Chicago or the great plains.
Yeah, that's why I said the Midwest and not St. Louis specifically concerning the wind ;P I spend a good deal of time in the Metro East area (which is still a part of the St. Louis area) and it can be extremely windy over there (and usually is).

Quote:
Look, I never claim the weather here to be paradise as we do have our extremes. I just like the variety of seasons, equal or not, as each day brings something new.
Don't get defensive, it's just a discussion - not an argument! That's great that you like the variety of seasons, though. We do have variety here. I personally enjoy a more moderate climate (i.e. one that doesn't swing so far to both extremes), and I also prefer warmer weather over colder weather, so my posts concerning the weather here aren't going to be particularly upbeat. I do enjoy spring and fall. Spring carries with it a very strong feeling of renewal and rebirth, and fall is just beautiful around here. I hate hate hate the cold weather though, and I would love it personally if we could just skip winter all together, hehe. I could do without the ice and snow. I'd rather just vacation to see snow once a year instead of having to drive in it and see it get all nasty and dirty as the days pass. It just becomes an annoyance after a few days. Snow is beautiful though, and fun to play in!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 AM

81 posts, read 326,247 times
I lived in the Chicago area for over 30 years, their winters are far worse than St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis