Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa09 View Post
My wife and I currently live in the North Hampton area with our 17 month old. We are renting a house and looking to buy. We love St. Louis Hills. We intend on sending our kids to a non denomination school in the future but were wondering if our little guy would get left out because he's not Catholic. I have already been asked multiple times by people in the city about "what parish I go to." Is this something that will be an issue in the future?

The more younger (and hopefully reasonably educated) people you meet in St. Louis, the less you will be asked this ridiculous, proselytizing nonsense.

My response to this dumbass inquiry quotes the great former Minnesota Governor - and ex-Navy Seal - Jesse Ventura - "Religion is a crutch for weak-minded people."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 PM

74 posts, read 182,148 times
Quote:
Sick. Couldn't imagine 3 states I'd like to live in less.
Wasn't exactly a choice at the time. I was in the military. I've also spent a good deal of time in South America and Japan. You take the good with the bad I guess. I've lived in other states besides these (including California - don't you live over there somewhere?) but I was only referencing the ones potentially in the bible belt area.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,051 times
I think part of this has to do with how intwined Catholicism is with the local culture of St. Louis which dates back to its founding which is rare among cities in the US. Does this really happen in other cities in regards to Catholicism or is it just here?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:52 PM

I've not been to Boston, but I would guess it's worse there. Might just be a misconception.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I think part of this has to do with how intwined Catholicism is with the local culture of St. Louis which dates back to its founding which is rare among cities in the US. Does this really happen in other cities in regards to Catholicism or is it just here?
I've heard the same about New Orleans & Cincinnati. I feel like it has more to do with geographic location rather than the actual church. They're asking what parish you live in, not what church you go to, or who your pastor is. It's very different.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've heard the same about New Orleans & Cincinnati. I feel like it has more to do with geographic location rather than the actual church. They're asking what parish you live in, not what church you go to, or who your pastor is. It's very different.
If it is that it somewhat is trying to see what social class or groups you are a part of in a means of profiling.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:47 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
If it is that it somewhat is trying to see what social class or groups you are a part of in a means of profiling.
well just because you live within the parish boundaries doesn't mean you go to that church or are associated with it in any way. I think the question is really trying to determine what part of town you live in. I just don't see why people wouldn't just ask what neighborhood or part of town you're from. Parish just seems like an odd question. Is it really common knowledge what parish boundaries you live in?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 AM

I think maybe in some cases it could be people trying to be snobby or something in some way. But most of the time, it's probably just a question to make conversation or out of curiosity. Many people around here seem to go to church (as they do in most other places), so I think people tend to just assume someone goes to church when they ask questions like that. I've had a number of university professors say things like "Remember that passage in the bible" or "Remember in church when" while making a reference to something in class. They say that because they just assume that every normal American they see in their classrooms is a Christian, which I think is a little short sighted. From what I can tell, fewer and fewer young people seem to be attending services or are even remotely religious. I'm often pleasantly surprised by the number of younger people who are starting to identify themselves with Eastern religious philosophies or ideals instead of Christianity these days - even in areas without much (if any) Eastern influence.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 PM

711 posts, read 2,106,972 times
You won't have a problem. I am a Baptist in a sea of Catholics and have never once had a problem about it. People don't care if you aren't Catholic at all. They will always try to feed the line that you don't have to be Catholic to go to Catholic school, but have always been understanding when I tell them I'm not interested. Expect no problems, Catholics are typically non-violent

Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,870,771 times
My friends/neighbors have never discussed religion, and I've definitely never been asked what parish I reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis