U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 AM

711 posts, read 1,215,201 times
Default Where in South county can I find what I'm looking for?

As a precursor - we are currently looking to RENT, and wanting to BUY in a year.
We have been in the St Louis area since September 2007.

We lived in Fairview Heights, IL from September 2007 - April 2008
We currently live in Dogtown and have lived here since April 2008, so coming up on 2 years.

Now we are facing a predicament. We planned on staying in the city because my son could easily get into the magnet school only 2 blocks away as SLPS has had 100% neighborhood placement since 2006. However, we are now faced with TERRIBLE landlords who we wanted to move away from any way, but now they are selling the house so we don't have a choice. So, it's time to move again, and we think it would just be best to head to the county now. If you don't have kids, you can't imagine how stressful it is to make these decisions. If you have kids and you also can't afford $900/mo for a Catholic school (when you aren't Catholic), you know exactly what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, it's time to move. I was wanting Maplewood / Richmond Heights / or Affton, but my wife is sick of the 100 year old houses and how they are (in some cases) a LOT of trouble (our 105 year old house we are in right now has had a ton of problems in the 10 months we've been here), and how many/most of them are tiny 2 bedroom homes (at least in our price range) and very outdated. We found a 3 br in Richmond Heights and I was sooo excited, but then the living room was probably 12x9 feet, which couldn't even fit our furniture.

So any way, I am wanting to know where I can look in south county to find 3 bedrooms for $900 and down. I don't want to get more than 20ish miles from the city. I have been keeping a close eye on Craigslist, but there is almost nothing on there in our price range, so Id like to narrow it down to a couple of towns that I cna just drive in. I'd prefer to stay within the 270 loop. Any help is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,912,430 times
Sorry to hear you leaving the city but at least you plan on staying close. I think if you are just persistant enough you will find something in south county that will meet your needs. The problem is that you are renting (at least that's what it sounded like) versus buying, and south county is more of a buyers market, unless you are wanting to live in a shady apartment complex.

So my honest opinion is that if browse craigslist, drive around neighborhoods, and talk to some people you might find something you like. In south county the quality of the school distrticts are as follows: Rockwood > Lindbergh > Mehlville > Affton > Bayless > Hancock Place. I might be forgetting one...but you will find in south county prices follow that pattern. When I was house hunting a year ago, I noticed how the school district had a massive effect on price. We found tons of really nice houses in Affton, Bayless, Mehlville and then the only decent houses in our price range in the higher districts were big time fixer uppers. I think all the districts are fine except for Hancock...it has a pretty bad rep.

Maplewood/Richmond Heights would be another place to look with a decent school district...comparable to Bayless and Affton I would say. I think you will find what you are looking for...good luck!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 PM

325 posts, read 501,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
If you have kids and you also can't afford $900/mo for a Catholic school (when you aren't Catholic), you know exactly what I'm talking about.
WOW! What school are you looking at? My parish school, St. Margaret of Scotland has an excellent school and their 2009-10 Tuition for Non-Catholic Families:
Number of Children Annual Tuition Monthly Payment (10 months)
One child $4110 $411.00
Two Children $6930 $693.00
Three Children $8775 $877.50
Four or more Children $10600 $1060.00

Tuition at St. Katherine Drexel for non parish families
Non-OLS/SSM Parishioners
One Child - $5,060.50
Two Children - $7,023.50
Three or more
Children - $7,590.00

Have you checked into any of the charter schools? or Soulard School?

BUT...if you must move to south county, stay in the Lindbergh school district.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:53 PM

hrm. My tuition chart did not come out so well...

Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 PM

The $900 was a slight exaggeration (for the most part any way, I know several people who pay $800+ a month), and the "you don't have to be Catholic to go to Catholic school" is pure bunk. I've checked multiple schools, and you will indeed be told that your child will be taught Catholic teachings.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I've checked multiple schools, and you will indeed be told that your child will be taught Catholic teachings.
well sure. I mean, they are Catholic schools.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktCakes View Post
well sure. I mean, they are Catholic schools.
Thank you for cutting out part of my post to try and make me look like an idiot. The comment was that everyone tells me "Well you don't have to be Catholic to go there!" whenever I tell them I don't want to send my son to a Catholic school. It's BS.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:31 PM

I wasn't trying to make you look like an idiot. come on, now. But, yes I am surprised when non-Catholics send their children to Catholic schools and get upset that they are being taught the Catholic faith. The only reason I quoted parish school tuition is because you brought it up in your original post as if it was an option except for cost.

anyway, the Lindbergh school district is excellent and your child should get a very good education there. Mehlville and Afton are hit or miss.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,192 times
The Maplewood Richmond Heights schools are among the best in the area. The High School students just came in second in the WYSE competition (Worldwide Youth in Science & Engineering) behind Trinity Catholic. The Elementary school's chess club just took 1st place in the 6th and under division in a regional tournament, and the Early Childhood Center just added a brand new GORGEOUS wing. I recommend watching their 14-minute video called the Report Card to the Community.

Plus, the area borders City limits, so you won't be traveling far. Good luck with the move!

Tom

Old 02-18-2010, 03:00 PM

303 posts, read 533,439 times
I do not know if I would say Maplewood Richmond Heights schools are "among the best in the area", but I would say they are improving, very progressive and very innovative. They definitely do not have the test scores and density of top performing students that the neighboring Clayton, Brentwood or Webster schools have, but they also cover a more diverse population that have different needs. The benefit for you of their "lower desirability" is their matching lower price! Yes, many MRH homes are older, but there are also a scattering of infills and newer construction, but those may unfortunately be out of your price range. Frankly, you can also rent 3BR Brentwood Forest condos for around $1000 or so (when you can find them), and although those are older buildings, many have been kept fairly up to date, depending on the owners. I just did a quick Craigslist search and found a 3BR Brentwood Forest unit for only $800/month. That's either a really great deal or a really bad looking condo!

Brentwood Forest Condo (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/1599069823.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis