Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times

Advertisements

Can anyone reccomend any large (700+ members) or Mega Churches (1000+ Members) in the St Louis Metro Area? I'm thinking more protestant and/or non-denominational, perhaps something like a Saddleback Church in CA or Willow Creek in IL? No prosperity gospel stuff, please!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
PCA Churches - More Traditional
1 Kirk Of the Hills - Creve Coeur
2 Central Prespeterian - Clayton
3 Twin Oaks - Valley Park

United Methodist
1 Manchester UMC - Manchester

Non Denominational
1 St. Louis Family Church - More contemporary - Chesterfield

Old 02-19-2010, 01:06 PM

165 posts, read 451,331 times
I have a lot of family members that go to Destiny Church and really like it.

Destiny Church // St. Louis, MO

Old 02-19-2010, 01:23 PM

321 posts, read 1,003,281 times
Grace Church in Maryland Heights:

Grace Church | A place to begin, a place to belong!

I've only been there for the Drummer Boy shows at Christmastime, but that place is enormous.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
1000 members seems really small to be a megachurch. There are several churches in the area that have 8,000+ members, but they are all Catholic churches. There's a pretty big non-denominational church in St. Peter's called Chuch on the Rock, it definitely fits the mega-church category with 5,000 members.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 AM

105 posts, read 309,430 times
I was also thinking that 1,000 members seems to be a small to average church. I grew up in a small town of 1,400 people, and almost everyone belonged to the same church. (Catholic)

Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wustu87 View Post
Grace Church in Maryland Heights:

Grace Church | A place to begin, a place to belong!

I've only been there for the Drummer Boy shows at Christmastime, but that place is enormous.

My family and I (we are non-denominational believers in God) went to that performance one year and it was just amazing. It absolutely exceeded our expectations, specifically me as a drummer. It was the first time I ever donated to a Church.

The people at Grace Church were very friendly and down-to-Earth. They didn't act pious, hypocritical or stuck-up, which we've experienced with other church experiences.

If we ever start attending a church on a regular basis, Grace Church would be the one.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 PM

325 posts, read 850,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki03xlh View Post
I was also thinking that 1,000 members seems to be a small to average church. I grew up in a small town of 1,400 people, and almost everyone belonged to the same church. (Catholic)
1,000 members is a very large church. My church has 70 members. And that is just below median size.

Quote:
Q: What’s the size of U.S. churches?
A: The median church in the U.S. has 75 regular participants in worship on Sunday mornings, according to the National Congregations Study Welcome to the National Congregations Study site . Notice that researchers measured the median church size — the point at which half the churches are smaller and half the churches are larger — rather than the average (186 attenders reported by the USCLS survey U.S. Congregations - Key findings - Characteristics of U.S. Congregations ), which is larger due to the influence of very large churches. But while the United States has a large number of very small churches, most people attend larger churches. The National Congregations Study estimated that the smaller churches draw only 11 percent of those who attend worship. Meanwhile, 50 percent of churchgoers attended the largest 10% of congregations (350 regular participants and up).
Want to know more? Check the websites for the National Congregations Study at Welcome to the National Congregations Study site The US Congregational Life Survey (USCLS) website has statistics about congregations by religious traditions at U.S. Congregations - Key findings - Characteristics of U.S. Congregations

Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
But you should see Saddleback or some of OCs other Mega churches (Crystal Cathedral, Mariner's). I can't think of anything around here that compares.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
But you should see Saddleback or some of OCs other Mega churches (Crystal Cathedral, Mariner's). I can't think of anything around here that compares.
I currently go to Mariner's and was hoping to find something similar in STL. Mariners is like 8k+ members. I don't need a church with that many people, but would like to find a larger church with a similar tone and teachings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis