U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:24 PM

442 posts, read 1,902,693 times

Advertisements

I need to know everything there is to know about Florissant. Schools, shopping, churches, house prices, restaurants, etc. What is the crime rate? Is this a desireable STL burb????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 PM

238 posts, read 225,296 times
Florissant is a nice suburb. It has an excellent school district and a wide range of housing available in it. I haven't gotten to the section about Florissant on my web page, but you can call me if you like and I will be happy to tell you what I know.

Bob

Old 06-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Blue collar or white collar?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:14 PM

115 posts, read 437,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
Blue collar or white collar?
I'd say blue. Probably not the best school district either. Not especially desirable in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:13 PM

What about shopping and the area--- Old Jamestown Road-- I think? Is the area around the Target nice?

Old 06-08-2007, 12:32 AM

115 posts, read 437,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
What about shopping and the area--- Old Jamestown Road-- I think? Is the area around the Target nice?
I don't know about that particular spot. But I'm not sure I'd recommend that area in general.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM

14 posts, read 36,341 times
Florissant is a city of mainly ranch style homes built in the 60's and 70's that have been well maintained, for the most part. The city requires a code inspection on each house prior to its being listed for sale to ensure that the "do-it-yourselfer" does not pass on too many electrical issues to the next owner. It is often hit by storms, being on the northern part of St. Louis and situated between two rivers...so watch the roof.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 PM

38 posts, read 239,235 times
I live in Florissant.......No bad storms in the last oh.....6 years. But about 7-8 years ago we had a whopper of a hail storm that damaged LOTS of property.....On the plus side......Roofs and siding is replaced........Florissant has a lot of Blue collar workers....But lot of white collar workers too......You mentioned the area near Target......The one on Lindbergh Blvd right?

Not bad....I shop at the Aldi's grocery store there every week......It is a decent part of Florissant.....But there are better parts (the parts that use the Hazelwood schools) I never really cared too much for the Ferguson/Florissant School District. Although I guess there the High School would be Hazelwood Central...Which is in the middle of the other two high schools (West and East) in terms of quality and location. I am not familiar with the elementary schools there....But I am familiar with plenty of other elementary schools.

Were you looking at the apartments right near there....or a house?

As far as city inspectors....That ain't no lie. They are strict. You must have your home inspected for an occupancy permit. If you change the major details on the permit, you gotta get a new inspection. Case in point, My mom and dad bought a house in Florissant in the early 70's. They lived there and raised my sister and I for pretty much all our lives there. They moved, but kept the house (it was almost paid for). Since they didn't have to have an occupancy permit (grandfathered in) when my sis and I tried to get utilities in our names (we were adults by then) we couldn't do so without an occupancy permit. Even though the house never changed ownership. They inspected and my parents had to do some wiring work, as well as other safety related repairs (lights above basement stairs, handrails, etc) before we could 'legally' move in. But the odd thing was that we were living there all along.

There are lots of convienent stores in Florissant along Lindbergh Blve (Hwy 67). But the mall off of Jamestown Rd. is DEAD....If you are looking for a mall, your best bet is the freshly built (3yrs old or so) St. Louis Mills in Hazelwood off of 370 which would be about 15 minutes or so from that Target. Northwest Plaza (the next closest mall) should also probably be avoided mostly for the crime, but secondly because the crime in the past has driven away all the good stores. The Walmart that is closest there is not one of my favorites (I usually go to the 24 hour store in St. Charles. since it is nicer, a touch closer to my end of Florissant and not nearly as ghetto-ish as the Halls Ferry one is.)

Florissant is a predominatly Catholic city. But there are also many other churches around too. (even a Buddist Temple). Lots of choices even within your religion you should easily find one that fits your family.

There are quite a few houses I have seen for sale recently....prices vary....low end is around 100xxx high end is way higher for new construction. But in general good decent houses.

What else can I tell ya? If you want pics of an area in Florissant, I am usually close enough by that I could snap a few for you.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliestformula View Post
I live in Florissant.......No bad storms in the last oh.....6 years. But about 7-8 years ago we had a whopper of a hail storm that damaged LOTS of property.....On the plus side......Roofs and siding is replaced........Florissant has a lot of Blue collar workers....But lot of white collar workers too......You mentioned the area near Target......The one on Lindbergh Blvd right?

Not bad....I shop at the Aldi's grocery store there every week......It is a decent part of Florissant.....But there are better parts (the parts that use the Hazelwood schools) I never really cared too much for the Ferguson/Florissant School District. Although I guess there the High School would be Hazelwood Central...Which is in the middle of the other two high schools (West and East) in terms of quality and location. I am not familiar with the elementary schools there....But I am familiar with plenty of other elementary schools.

Were you looking at the apartments right near there....or a house?

As far as city inspectors....That ain't no lie. They are strict. You must have your home inspected for an occupancy permit. If you change the major details on the permit, you gotta get a new inspection. Case in point, My mom and dad bought a house in Florissant in the early 70's. They lived there and raised my sister and I for pretty much all our lives there. They moved, but kept the house (it was almost paid for). Since they didn't have to have an occupancy permit (grandfathered in) when my sis and I tried to get utilities in our names (we were adults by then) we couldn't do so without an occupancy permit. Even though the house never changed ownership. They inspected and my parents had to do some wiring work, as well as other safety related repairs (lights above basement stairs, handrails, etc) before we could 'legally' move in. But the odd thing was that we were living there all along.

There are lots of convienent stores in Florissant along Lindbergh Blve (Hwy 67). But the mall off of Jamestown Rd. is DEAD....If you are looking for a mall, your best bet is the freshly built (3yrs old or so) St. Louis Mills in Hazelwood off of 370 which would be about 15 minutes or so from that Target. Northwest Plaza (the next closest mall) should also probably be avoided mostly for the crime, but secondly because the crime in the past has driven away all the good stores. The Walmart that is closest there is not one of my favorites (I usually go to the 24 hour store in St. Charles. since it is nicer, a touch closer to my end of Florissant and not nearly as ghetto-ish as the Halls Ferry one is.)

Florissant is a predominatly Catholic city. But there are also many other churches around too. (even a Buddist Temple). Lots of choices even within your religion you should easily find one that fits your family.

There are quite a few houses I have seen for sale recently....prices vary....low end is around 100xxx high end is way higher for new construction. But in general good decent houses.

What else can I tell ya? If you want pics of an area in Florissant, I am usually close enough by that I could snap a few for you.
Thank you so much for the input and information. This is what I needed to know, and yes, pics would be great if not too much trouble. I am looking more for housing than an apartment. Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:14 AM

81 posts, read 340,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliestformula View Post
But the mall off of Jamestown Rd. is DEAD....If you are looking for a mall, your best bet is the freshly built (3yrs old or so) St. Louis Mills in Hazelwood off of 370 which would be about 15 minutes or so from that Target. Northwest Plaza (the next closest mall) should also probably be avoided mostly for the crime, but secondly because the crime in the past has driven away all the good stores.
This bugs the heck outta me.....yeah, Jamestown isn't as busy and the 'upscale malls' like the Galleria but I've been there twice now since moving back to this area and the JC Penney Outlet is WONDERFUL (there was one in the Mills Mall near Dallas that I frequented) and although the mall is small, the stores that ARE in there are ones I would browse in and be more likely to buy something (bookstores, bath and body etc) than the larger malls that have stores I have absolutely no use for. Same with Northwest Plaza. If I need something at a mall, that one is closest to me and I've never felt ill at ease or in any danger there. But then again, I don't frequent ANYWHERE after dark by myself--I don't care where I am! But I do most of my shopping all along the Rock Rd. and am much more comfortable in that area than Brentwood, which is closer to me.

We do go to the Mills occasionally, as it is a good 'touristy' mall....lots of stuff to amuse my son while also letting me browse. LOL.

Maybe it's living for so long in a much larger city.....I HATE crowds and if I can go somewhere without tripping over people or waiting in line for hours, I'm all for it. Plus, I worked at the Dallas Zoo for all 15 years we lived in Texas AND lived in that area for five of it (go check the Texas forum....according to them, Oak Cliff is worse than h*ll).....NOT the most desirable area to be sure, but we had wonderful neighbors, great little restaurants and I never felt in danger of my life. But it bugs me when people 'blanket' areas of town as undesirable to live because they're not as affluent in general than others.

But just my humble .02!!

-Rhonda
Olivette, MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis