Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM

22 posts, read 34,876 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 y/o single male that will be moving to St. Louis in August (2010) to attend graduate school at Washington University. I will be looking to rent a 1-2 BR apartment close to the University. I was wondering what neighborhoods would be good? I would prefer to be within walking distance to some coffee shops/cafes/restaurants but value safety, and quiet more than anything else. I also would like to be as close as possible to the University while not sacrificing too much in the way of quiet, safety, and some activities. From what I have gathered thus far, Demun and Clayton areas sound appealing...especially Demun. Just looking for some advice..thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
I would add the area north of WashU to your list--Skinker/Debalievere. Tons and tons of grad students live there. Lots of condos and places to rent. My friend lives down there now and I like it a lot. Very likely cheaper than Clayton as well.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:30 AM

thanks, I will look at those areas as well. One concern-is it a much louder area due to the higher student population? I will be doing lots and lots of research and writing at home and would like to potentially limit that as much as I can

Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 AM

37 posts, read 121,759 times
Skinker-DeBaliviere is a great recommendation.

It's safe, walkable, lush, and has beautiful architecture. It's also just south of the burgeoning East Loop district and has not one but two Metrolink (light rail) stops within its boundaries, either of which will take you to the door of Wash U. (You could, of course, also walk--it would be no more than a 15 minute walk from any part of the neighborhood and much less than that if you live close to Skinker).

Also, if you really want to save money, look to Dogtown. Apartments can be found for much cheaper than Skinker-DeBaliviere or DeMun (or elsewhere). Yet the neighborhood is still very much safe and walkable. It also has a small but growing business district centered on the intersection of Clayton and Tamm. Recently, a Tex Mex joint on Clayton and a sandwich shop on Tamm opened. The International Tap House in Chesterfield was considering a move to a prominent but empty building in this business district, but the rumor on that move is that they're now looking at Soulard.

Still, Dogtown is cheap, young, and is pretty quiet--except on St. Patty's day, where a city already reeling from Mardi Gras gets a second dose.

The housing diversity of Dogtown can't be beaten, either. You can get a circa 1904 1 bedroom apartment in a large, multiple unit building on Oakland; or you can rent a small frame bungalow to have all for yourself. Options are plentiful.

If you choose Skinker-DeBaliviere, you're just north of Forest Park as well, near the History Museum and popular jogging path.

If you choose Dogtown, you're just south of Forest Park and have easy access to the nation's best (and free of admission!) Zoo.

Good luck with your search!

If you need photos or more specific assistance, let us know!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks alot for all the valuable suggestions. How would you recommend I go about searching for apartments in these neighborhoods? The generic 'rent.com' type sites are not particularly helpful. I've seen nice apartments through Philip H. Barron realty, however, an online review from a further tenant totally ripped them. Obviously I will go out there and spend a few days looking probably in May but I am just not familiar with the best way to search for apartments in those areas? Should I hire a realtor in St. Louis to help me or would that be a total waste of money?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 AM

37 posts, read 121,759 times
I wouldn't bother with a realtor...unless you're going to buy a house.

For rentals, Craigslist is still the way to go. There are also certain management companies that might help you in your search (St. Louis Investment Realty aka Threshold, for one).

Here is that link:

Threshold Investment Properties

Here's a sample of Craigslist, though:

Metrolink, huge 2-bed, gated parking, pets, Wash U, coin laundry (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/1623264015.html - broken link)

That particular one doesn't have a very good kitchen by my tastes, but the location seems great.

That one is actually in DeBaliviere Place, just east of Skinker-DeBaliviere, but right by the Metrolink.

BTW, to find a specific neighborhood, go to Craigslist property search and type in their search bar: Dogtown, Skinker, DeBaliviere, DeMun, put in your top rent and you're a go!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Keep up the internet research, use craigslist to get a good idea of what's available where for what price, and keep a list of buildings and neighborhoods to check out when come visit. Once you're here for a few days, drive around the areas you are interested in. You will see plenty of "for rent" signs with phone numbers to jot down. Walk around the areas that really appeal to you, ask the locals what they think of the area. Maybe check out some local spots like coffeehouses and bars and see if they are to your liking.

And of course come back here if you have any other questions or concerns

Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,281 times
The obvious places for a Wash U grad student to look for an apartment in the area:

Welcome to Quadrangle Housing (http://www.offcampushousing.wustl.edu/index.asp - broken link)

Apartment Referral Services (http://ars.wustl.edu/home.asp - broken link)

A lot of first year grad students rent from Quadrangle (Wash U owned apartments) which has apartments in the Loop, Skinker/Debaliviere and CWE. Some move further out after the first year once they know the area better (to save money and/or for more space) but many continue to rent through Quadrangle who owns a ton of property in the area. I think they do tend to be a bit more expensive than non university owned properties, but it is also easier to get on the campus network, and you get more university amenities. The second link is an apartmental referral service run by the university where the landlords have to pay to be added to the "approved" list and get checked out by the university as well.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Good call on Dogtown too! Great area, lots of good restaurants. I don't think it's particularly loud in the Skinker-DeBaliviere area. It's definitely more grad students/young professionals than undergrads. My friend lives with an English PhD student and they don't have any problems.

I've always used craigslist to find rentals.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
Great suggs above but be sure to check out the Moorlands. I have tons of grad student neighbors.
It's very similar to demund.
Saint Louis/Clayton/The Moorlands - SkyscraperPage Forum

betweeen wydown, glenridge, hanley, and clayton rds
We have a Starbucks, a deli, dry cleaners, 2 cafes all easily walkable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis