Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,226 times

Advertisements

Clayton more diverse than Ladue? Not so sure about that one. There are probably more Asian and international students at Clayton because of the proximity to Wash U, but fewer African Americans from what I've read on Greatschools.net. Socio-economically, I would argue that Clayton is less diverse. Very few kids getting that "free and reduced lunch" in Clayton. Entry level homes within the Ladue school district are far less expensive than those in Clayton, so there is a modest mix of lower-middle and middle income folks in Ladue schools. Even though they are neighbors, Clayton is more urban, small lots, densely populated-- Ladue is more suburban, large lots, sparsely populated. Both are very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 57,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
How much money are you looking to spend on a home? What kind of neighborhood do you like? Is public transit important to you? Do you want public schools or would you prefer private? Where will you be working? How long of a commute are you comfortable with?
Home cost- around $160-$220K ( 3 bm/2ba)
Or we may rent for 6-9 months, before settling on an area. ( townhome/ condo while researching options. We would like to be able to walk to entertainment- Parks, Playgrounds, Grocery, or to get dinner. Like diverse dinning.
Working- in Chesterfield-( dont mind a 30-40 min commute.) Public trans, not too important.
Schools, are # 1- for us. They can either be Private, Magnet, or quality Public.
Would do Less home cost-$150-180 and send to private school. Or a bit more $ and do Public schools. Like the old character homes-
Is Dogtown - and diamond in the rough? And would I need private or Public schools?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,541 times
Well, $160-$220k for a 3br/2ba house will not get you much of anything in the top county districts (Clayton, most of Ladue, much of Kirkwood). You could also find a 3br house/condo in Rock Hill/Webster/Brentwood in that range but a house in that range would be an older, smaller 3BR home, not one of the newer or renovated ones. That area is definitely more walkable than out in Parkway or Rockwood for example, and has more of that old character you would probably prefer. However, now is a great time to buy if you are not selling, so you may find a good deal on a home that is not in top condition, especially if you don't mind a bit of sweat equity fixing things up. If you are okay with a 3BR with only 1 or 1.5 baths you will have better luck looking amongst those older mid-county homes in that price range (or for a 3BR condo in Brentwood Forest for example). There are also older, smaller homes in the Ladue district in that price range in the northern part of Olivette.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimotwinmom View Post
Home cost- around $160-$220K ( 3 bm/2ba)
Or we may rent for 6-9 months, before settling on an area. ( townhome/ condo while researching options. We would like to be able to walk to entertainment- Parks, Playgrounds, Grocery, or to get dinner. Like diverse dinning.
Working- in Chesterfield-( dont mind a 30-40 min commute.) Public trans, not too important.
Schools, are # 1- for us. They can either be Private, Magnet, or quality Public.
Would do Less home cost-$150-180 and send to private school. Or a bit more $ and do Public schools. Like the old character homes-
Is Dogtown - and diamond in the rough? And would I need private or Public schools?
Dogtown is city, fine, safe, has some new tear downs at the top of your price range or just above it, as well as some older homes, hit or miss on restoration. It's a mix of middle class families and young professionals, older neighborhood. You would do better here in terms of walking to some things as you would in some of your county options in your price range.

Rockwood has a good school district and may have more things closer to your price range.

You aren't close in price range for most if not all of Clayton, Ladue, etc...WUstu87's mentions are worth a look, even Glendale occasionally may have something in that range too.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:21 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchemtoddkc View Post
We have considered, Ladue, West County, Kirkwood, and Town/COuntry.

Clayton and U-City are falling apart thanks to the "Metro Link" and the Galleria mall is simply rabble for patrons. We were afraid for our lives there a couple of times over the holiday.
T
You obviously don't get out very often. What a disgraceful post! These comments are meant for the garbage on the Stltoday.com forums. This is simply NOT true.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,644 times
Seriously? Clayton remains very upscale. I've never once felt unsafe in the Galleria, let alone "afraid for my life."

Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,532 times
Quote:
This is an old post, but we are also trying to decide on a district, house etc. We would like to live in a large home (over 4500 sq feet) with at least 5 bedrooms, pool and room for an office. We are enting in U-cty while deciding on our more permanent location. Our oldest is in K at Flynn Park...which is NOT AT ALL the desired feel for us.

Clayton and U-City are falling apart thanks to the "Metro Link" and the Galleria mall is simply rabble for patrons. We were afraid for our lives there a couple of times over the holiday.

Any thoughts on schools in Kirkwood, Town/Country? HOw about "The College School"?

T
Easy there Chicken Little, it's just a snow storm.

You don't get out much at all, have to agree with moorlander. Clayton is "falling apart," lol. Right.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,532 times
Quote:
I am telling you what we are experiencing. It is not personal. We need a more family friendly environment than these areas. We are trying to find a larger home, with a big yard, pool, land (an acre or so) and great schools. I can not find this anywhere in the U-city/Clayton area. Also, while we enjoy the convenience of the "city" we are a little frustrated by some of the property crime, in ability for our children to run out the front door to play and general safety. The houses in these areas that we have looked over are much older in general.
Yep, in then your car will be broken in to or your house will be broken in to in Maryland Heights, and you will move to Wentzville. Then when Wentzville starts to run down, where will you go?

Sorry, not being a jerk, but this is the trend. It's all hunky-dory moving as far west as you can until the next elitist decides Wentzville's crime is "out of control" and then the further west you go, or you start migrating back east.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times
Quote:
This is an old post, but we are also trying to decide on a district, house etc. We would like to live in a large home (over 4500 sq feet) with at least 5 bedrooms, pool and room for an office. We are enting in U-cty while deciding on our more permanent location. Our oldest is in K at Flynn Park...which is NOT AT ALL the desired feel for us.

Any thoughts on schools in Kirkwood, Town/Country? HOw about "The College School"?

T
If you are afraid in Clayton, of the Metrolink, and a mall in Richmond Heights/Brentwood, then I suggest moving as far west as you can afford.

By the way, the thought of the most expensive city in Missouri (Clayton) being "downhill" because of the "metro link" (why the quotes?) is absolutely hysterical. You haven't been here long have you?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM

419 posts, read 1,332,571 times
As far as public schools go, strictly speaking ratings... Clayton is by far the most superior public school in the city. I graduated from Ladue (though a LOT longer ago than Rick) and feel as though I received a well-rounded education and was more than prepared for college. I would NOT say that Clayton is more diverse than Ladue. I would actually say the opposite. Regardless, Ladue and Clayton both have phenomenal reputations that do follow you when you enter college. At least if you attend a school near St. Louis.

At least 15+ years ago when I was in high school, Clayton had a MUCH better college prep program than Ladue with an open campus/college class type schedule for students to teach them time management for when they went on to college. Ladue had "free hours" and classes that only met a couple a days a week for the same reason. Though students were still fairly policed. Is it the same now? No clue.

That all being said, do I think that the education, reputation, and district/area amenities of both Clayton and Ladue are that far superior to the education my children are receiving at Parkway West ? Not really.

Do your research and look at test scores, teacher credentials, and expenditures for each district and then each specific school. We have AMAZING public schools in St. Louis! Just do your research!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis