Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 PM

325 posts, read 846,913 times

Advertisements

^
Hey now! I'm pushing 40!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:45 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,503,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktCakes View Post
^
Hey now! I'm pushing 40!
I'm just pointing out general trends I have seen. Just that there is a huge generation gap in attitudes where the views that have really held the area back are not present in younger generations. It could result in seeing some much needed changes that would work out in the long run.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,482,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
What I notice is that in terms of attitudes, there is a huge generation gap as well. The pessimists seem to be older than 30-35 while the optimists tend to be younger. It just seems like the younger adults tend not to have the destructive baggage that older people have. I have noticed most of the stereotypical St. Louis attitudes fall apart when you deal with people younger than 30-35 or so.

That is absolute bull****. My wife and I are 40 and are not only extremely active and in better shape than most 20-somethings here, we love interaction with younger folks because of the positive energy/dynamics. We hit many festivals of beer and music every year. And we are the first ones to call out the stupidity and ludicrousness of "Where'd you go to high school? What parish are you in? Do you know so and so?" blah blah blah. Maybe you're thinking certain pockets of stodgy, hyper-conservative 50+ somethings? You know, the same neighborhood, church, food, clothes, doctor, car make, etc. for 50 years?

Exactly what is the "destructive baggage" you are referring to?

Check yourself before labeling an age demographic. 40 is the new 20 .

Last edited by Marksman84; 04-26-2010 at 10:57 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,503,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
That is absolute bull****. My wife and I are 40 and are not only extremely active and in better shape than most 20-somethings here, we love interaction with younger folks because of the positive energy/dynamics. We hit many festivals of beer and music every year. And we are the first ones to call out the stupidity and ludicrousness of "Where'd you go to high school? What parish are you in? Do you know so and so?" blah blah blah. Maybe you're thinking certain pockets of stodgy, hyper-conservative 50+ somethings? You know, the same neighborhood, church, food, clothes, doctor, car make, etc. for 50 years?

I think you are right. I just was not sure where the dividing line is in attitudes. I am thinking its more post-babyboomer generation that is different and couldn't figure where the change is.

The destructive baggage I am referring to is the more insular, somewhat xenophobic nature that can pop up which you somewhat stated which is very destructive. It is no coincidence that things are showing better signs of improvment now that the older generations are moving on and younger generations are starting to gain power and not looking back at the past and trying to maintain a local economy on what it was decades ago which will only lead in a downward spiral.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,581,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
What I notice is that in terms of attitudes, there is a huge generation gap as well. The pessimists seem to be older than 30-35 while the optimists tend to be younger. It just seems like the younger adults tend not to have the destructive baggage that older people have. I have noticed most of the stereotypical St. Louis attitudes fall apart when you deal with people younger than 30-35 or so.
I agree

Old 04-28-2010, 01:28 PM

80 posts, read 158,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
^
You generalized the "ugly" STL people. I suggest you seriously think about moving out West County if you are that miserable.
I would love to move. If you knew the creeps we have had to live around you would understand.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post

I need to let it fly, and if you knew what we have had to endure from the locals (mainly neighbors) you would understand the anger and frustration.

I can't tell you how many times I have been asked the questions you are referring to. I call them weeding out questions. If one can't answer the questions correctly then you are an outsider, and very much treated poorly.

I've been asked many times what HS I attended. I'm in my 50's with two college degrees. What does HS have to do with anything? But I must say this; many who ask this question still possess the maturity level of a high schooler.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:24 PM

662 posts, read 1,042,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB123 View Post
I need to let it fly, and if you knew what we have had to endure from the locals (mainly neighbors) you would understand the anger and frustration.

I can't tell you how many times I have been asked the questions you are referring to. I call them weeding out questions. If one can't answer the questions correctly then you are an outsider, and very much treated poorly.

I've been asked many times what HS I attended. I'm in my 50's with two college degrees. What does HS have to do with anything? But I must say this; many who ask this question still possess the maturity level of a high schooler.
Yeah, I hate it two. I love tellling them my first high school (in Seattle) and the look they give is priceless!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,482,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB123 View Post
I would love to move. If you knew the creeps we have had to live around you would understand.
We agree with you, to an extent. There are a lot of "quirky" people here, mainly ones that act quite arrogant and elitist when they would pretty much get their @ss handed to them in several other cities/regions. This is from someone who has spent time in 38 of the 50 United States.

We don't hate it here, but we also ultimately want to move out West, to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico or Wyoming. We enjoy the sunny skies, the mountains, the clean/dry air, the active/healthy lifestyles and overall more positive and educated dynamic.

Having said that, while you're stuck here, surely there must be a hobby or activity that you enjoy and can join others in the area that share your interests. We joined running and cycling organizations and, not surprisingly, met some very nice and upbeat folks, many of whom are not natives and don't give two ****s about HS, church, zip code, baseball, pre-tax income, etc.

Try to hang out with younger and/or educated people as well, as there are fewer insular tools in that demographic, and you won't have to deal with the xenophobic paranoia.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Yeah, I hate it two. I love tellling them my first high school (in Seattle) and the look they give is priceless!
They don't know what Seattle means...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis