U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 PM

14 posts, read 22,032 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of west county bashing, especially Chesterfield. As a resident of Chesterfield (Wildhorse subdivision), I'm inclined to offer my opinions on west county, as well as your opinions. So here we go:

-Politics: West County is definetely a Conservative Christian stronghold. There are exceptions to the rule (myself- a proud liberal), but most are conservative, and if I may say so, somewhat narrow minded and bigoted. However, that does not mean that everyone here is a terrible person.
-Culture: while not the center of culture and diversity like the city, West County does have some local flavor to offer. Chesterfield has good local restaurants, such as International Tap House, Wildhorse Grill, Caitos Pizza, etc. Yes, there are mainly chain restaurants, but it is the suburbs.
-Attractions- I highly recommend Chesterfield city park, especially "The Awakening" statue (very cool). Also, a wide variety of outdoor recreation opportunitie (too many to list). The mall, movie theatres, lots of shopping/dining, Hidden Valley skiing/snowboarding, etc.
-Attitude- I realize that there is a lot of West County elitism, or perceived elitism. However, some of this is undue praise. I may sound like an elitist myself, but many areas of West County (i.e. Manchester, Ballwin, Ellisville, Eureka) are really not much different than St Charles or South County. The wealthy areas are Chesterfield, Wildwood, Clarkson Valley, Creve Coeur, and St. Albans (although not in Stl County, very close).

Final thoughts, sorry if this is going on too long:
Although it may not be your favorite place, West county is a great place to live- affluent, great schools, beautiful scenery (at least in Wildwood/chesterfield/st albans), stuff to do. And if I want to experience culture, I come to the city (which i think is awesome). But for a place to live, I'm good with Chesterfield. So there you go, have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 PM

36 posts, read 71,658 times
I'm a diehard city guy and would probably never live out in West County.

That said, excellent post!

We in St. Louis need to heal this division between city and suburbs. "City" shouldn't be a byword for festering pit of crime just as "County", and especially West County, should not be bywords for "Applebees-addicted Culture Vacuum".

I am glad you focused on West County in particular--it earns most of the venom. I'll add to your list, though.

-It's actually a lot more diverse than people give it credit for. Many white collar immigrants settle in West County.

-Chesterfield's Mayor was the spokesperson for Proposition A, a successful effort that will restore and expand St. Louis transit. This is good for us all.

-I second that it has beautiful scenery. The drive out to Eureka en route to Six Flags from the city is just gorgeous, especially for the Midwest. I don't know if the OP would consider Lone Elk Park West County (I do), but regardless it's an amazing park.

-Laumeier Sculpture Park is incredible!

Let's get over our differences and embrace what make us all great. I'm from the city and I love West County!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Hey, thanks for responding. I'm glad someone from the city can give some credit to West County, especially for the scenery. If you're ever looking for a scenic drive, take Wildhorse Creek Rd. west of Hwy 109. It's really beautiful.

Thanks again for responding. By the way, I do love the city. Ate at Buffalo Brewing Co. this weekend and watched the Cards game.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,178,695 times
AS an out of towner - How do you geographically define "West County" is it the area beyond I-270?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 PM

west of 270, north of 44, south of olive rd, as far west as st albans (edge of st louis county)

Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,215,359 times
City person myself (or technicallly city-burb person now), but as someone mentioned the I-44 route out to eureka has beautiful natural scenery, as does much of west or southwest county.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,324,788 times
The 'west county elitism' thing is pretty funny to me. As a transplant, it's hard for me to see what makes it so elite. Just looks like a bunch of standard suburbs that are very similar to the rest, to me.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:39 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,932,194 times
West County feels so All-American. If I wanted to show a foreigner the typical middle/upper-middle class lifestyle of White Americans, I'd take them to West County, specifically the Chesterfield Mall. I enjoy people watching; the people at this mall were so traditionally American to the core. That's the difference between the St. Louis area and most other cities. If you go to a suburban mall here in Memphis, or a mall in New Jersey, you can look at the people and know what part of the country you're in. In West County you really can't tell. It's just All-American culture through and through.

Last edited by Smtchll; 04-20-2010 at 02:54 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,301,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
West County feels so All-American. If I wanted to show a foreigner the typical middle/upper-middle class lifestyle of White Americans, I'd take them to West County, specifically the Chesterfield Mall. I enjoy people watching; the people at this mall were so traditionally American to the core. That's the difference between the St. Louis area and most other cities. If you go to a suburban mall here in Memphis, or a mall in New Jersey, you can look at the people and know what part of the country you're in. In West County you really can't tell. It's just All-American culture through and through.
That is also as much of a function of the St. Louis area being near several regional cultural boundaries than anything else.

And the idea of calling it a place of religious conservatism is amusing, mainly since in many parts of the country it would be considered moderate mainly due to being a different form. You don't hit any of that until either the furthest suburbs or even rural areas.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,044,999 times
West County has a lot going for it. The most money, the largest homes, the best schools, the best shopping. There is a reason it is the first stop for upper middle class folks moving to the region.

I work in Fenton (sigh) and drive through Lone Elk park at least once/week. Seeing the buffalo, Elk, Turkey, and Deer is a real treat.

The drive throught the Tyson Research area (44 from 141-West) is gorgeous.
The hill country of Wildwood and St. Albans is gorgeous.

I grew up in West County but see myself moving to city or staying in the inner ring burbs for the forseable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis