Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 AM

15 posts, read 43,540 times

Advertisements

It looks like we are going to be transferred from Charlotte to St.Louis, so I have a couple questions.

What do your local newspapers and tv news channels have to say about the real estate market in your area?

Our current area is very transient as well, but really has a concentration of New Yorkers, Floridians and Califorinia folks. What does St. Louis have?

I cannot seem to find any neighborhoods that have a community pool/tennis courts. Obviously do to the weather, but what do you do if you want these amentities? Join a country club, the ymca???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:08 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
I'm sure there are plenty of foreclosures around, but St. Louis has a very stable real estate market. It never bubbled like it did in other parts of the country so it never fell as hard during the recession. You can still find some, of course.

St. Louis isn't as transient, with a good majority of our population being local born and bred. But there are still plenty of transplants. Nearly everyone I work with is a transplant from somewhere else, including Charlotte, and they seem to like it here. Then again, they have someone like me directing them to the fun places to live and hang out .

There are a ton of different cities and towns in the region that offer some sort of rec plex that has the tennis courts and pools you are look for. A friend of mine travels 30 minutes to the Heights rec plex in Richmond Heights. You often don't need to live in these communities, but just be prepared to pay a higher monthly fee. Here in the city proper, we have an excellent park system for outdoor rec, but you'd have to join the Y or somewhere else to get an outdoor pool. Or you could come over to my house!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:26 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,365 times
I know 4 couples who have recently moved here from Charlotte. Welcome!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:06 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,692 times
My neighborhood seems to be a lot of transplants, what kind of area are you looking for? City, suburb?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Lake Saint Louis has a pool, tennis courts, two private lakes, private club house, horse stables and a golf course. LSL also sponsors a swim team, water ski team, sailing amd paddling club, fishing association and other clubs. There are also a few private country clubs in the area.

There is a nearby rec plex and ymca in O'Fallon for off season.

Since there are a lot of transplants in the area, it is very transplant friendly.

Family homes are running in the $220's (make sure you buy a home within the CA boundaries if you plan on using the amenities. If I were to sell my house now I would probably take about a 15K hit. I think the market has bottomed out though, so it would be a good time to buy.

It is about 35 miles to downtown STL.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Wow, thanks for the replies. We are looking for a home in the suburbs. First and foremost, we need a great school area. We have three kids, one in elementary, one in middle school and one in high school.

My husband and I are making our first trip next weekend to get a feel for the area. Then we plan on other trip to look at houses. Then a last trip where the kids get to help make the final decision on the house and get to meet their perspective teachers/coachs. (Our oldest currently plays on her high school tennis team. Our middle child is all about baseball 24/7. Our youngest is into tennis and cheerleading.)

My husband will be working just outside of downtown.Traffic in our current location is just nuts!!!! Can you give me any ideas of where we might not want to live because of bad traffic?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
Traffic is no problem in St. Louis. It gets congested during rush hour for sure and we have the occasional traffic jam, but nothing really that crazy. For a nice family oriented suburb I think you'd be happy with St. Charles county and west St. Louis county. They are middle class to upper middle class areas with great schools, very safe, a bit conservative, and very family oriented.

I would check out Chesterfield, Lake St. Louis, O'Fallon, and St. Peters. All of those areas are between 30-45 minutes from downtown.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:59 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,692 times
There are a lot of neighborhoods that have their own pools, community centers, etc. What is your price range? The Clayton and Ladue school districts are some of the best, but pricey. Next I would go with Kirkwood, Webster Groves and Rockhill. All good school districts with decent commutes to downtown. A little further out are Chesterfield, O'Fallon and Lake St Louis. All good communities with good schools.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:30 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,365 times
I was born in the Royal Acres neighborhood in Des Peres. They have a neighborhood pool. Parkway School District is superb and homes are prop priced in the 2-300s. (guessing)
link to entrance to the neighborhood
royal acres st. louis - Google Maps

My sisters lives in this neighborhood in Kirkwood and they have a nieghborhood pool
royal acres st. louis - Google Maps

Many of the suburbs have community centers.
For example
Des Peres
Des Peres, MO - Official Website - The Lodge
kirkwood
Pool
Ballwin
The City of Ballwin
fenton
Official Website of the City of Fenton, MO
clayton
City of Clayton Center of Clayton
Richmond heights
Richmond Heights MO - Official Website - THE HEIGHTS

or you could just join a local swim club
Just use the google to search for st. louis swim club

Old 04-23-2010, 02:29 PM

As far as housing, as much as I love an established neighborhood, I dont want to have to update a lot. I have noticed in many homes, in many price ranges (and I looked at many higher priced homes just to prove the theory), that the 80's home decor still lives on! LOL I also like the more open concept of a kitchen with a seating area and a hearth room, which is what we have now. So I am looking at the newer homes with at least 4 bedrooms. Any suggestions???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis