U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:33 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,432,292 times
Question St. Louis Cooperage Co. questions????

I have an old, old copper paperweight from 1934 in the shape of a barrel marked St. Louis Cooperage Co., which makes sense since cooperage is a barrel for beer. But what kind of beer did the St. Louis Cooperage make barrels for?
I'm guessing Anheuser-Busch, but I could be wrong; however, hoping someone on this board had a great grandfather or grandfather who worked there and can give me some more information on St. Louis Cooperage Company.
Much thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Dang...nobody on here is from an old St. Louis family that worked there????

Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 PM

165 posts, read 247,876 times
Also try the good folks at the urbanstl.com forums or, alternatively, email Michael Allen of ecoabsence.blogspot.com.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,125,123 times
It could be ABInBev, Lemp, Griesedick (lol what a name), or Falstaff.

Seriously - call Schlafly. They have a nice exhibit of St. Louis Brewing History in the Bottleworks building, and are likely to be more personable and enthusiastic in answering your query, in compairson to a certain swill macrobrewery at Arsenal/Broadway.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,028,439 times
I have a book I got at Schlafly about St. Louis brewing history. It's got a few pages about every brewery that ever existed here and it doesn't leave much out. I will see what I can find when I get home tonight.

Don't bother with google though...the first result I got was this thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
It could be ABInBev, Lemp, Griesedick (lol what a name), or Falstaff.

Seriously - call Schlafly. They have a nice exhibit of St. Louis Brewing History in the Bottleworks building, and are likely to be more personable and enthusiastic in answering your query, in compairson to a certain swill macrobrewery at Arsenal/Broadway.
FYI: Griesedick was a name when I worked in Houston in 1984 of some fellow at the top in a major oil company (like a President). I have no idea how they pronounce it, but the guy who gave me his name pronounced the first part as "Greasy-"....well, you get the joke I'm sure. Wouldn't you change that one if that was yours...good grief...!

I gather Schlafly is a brewery?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:55 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,125,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
FYI: Griesedick was a name when I worked in Houston in 1984 of some fellow at the top in a major oil company (like a President). I have no idea how they pronounce it, but the guy who gave me his name pronounced the first part as "Greasy-"....well, you get the joke I'm sure. Wouldn't you change that one if that was yours...good grief...!

I gather Schlafly is a brewery?
Schlafly (STL) and Boulevard (KC) brew the BEST beer in Missouri. The other micros (O'Fallon, Augusta, Tin Mill, et al) are a close second. ABInBev is around 79th place.....

Old 04-27-2010, 07:01 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,028,439 times
Sorry TootsieWootsie but I took a cursory look at my book last night and couldn't find anything on any Cooperage Company.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 AM

1,518 posts, read 1,976,372 times
Here is a map of their facility. Appears to be adjacent to the AB brewery. From my quick glance at the map it appears to be where I-55 is now. Damn highways did more damage than good around here but that's a whole nother conversation.

Missouri Digital Heritage : Collection : Item Viewer

Let us know what else you dig up.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Thank you so much for the help all, and thank you, moorlander, for posting that link!!!! I so very much appreciate solving this mystery and it proves St. Louis Cooperage was affiliated with Anheuser-Busch.

Now I am wondering if some Budweiser fan would be interested in purchasing this copper paperweight from there as for it's historical value? If not, I saw it throughout my childhood and will just keep it.

Again, thanks for all the kindness, folks on the Missouri board!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis