Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:09 AM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
Marksman84 says:
"Schools - yeah, no pun intended, but do your homework before choosing. County beats City every hand."

Not true. The magnet school system within the STL public school system is competitive w/ any public, private or parochial school system in Missouri. Metro Classical High has the highest combined (Algebra I and English II) MAP scores in Missouri. The second highest MAP score in St. Louis County is Parkway West High (where my kids have attended - one graduated last year, the other is a junior now) at #34.
Top 10 Best Missouri State High Schools - MO School Rankings

Looks like you need to do your own homework.

inahandbasket
Key word - magnet. And anyone with any background in statistical analysis knows that MAP scores can be skewed, particularly in a less-than-honestly governed system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
Yes Metro is a gifted magnet school, but that doesn't mean it is impossible or even necessarily difficult to get your kid in, as long as they are gifted. It is not as easy as moving to a suburban district, that's true. But it is still the best public high school in the St. Louis area, and in fact all of Missouri. Newsweek did a list last year where Metro ranked #97...in the nation.

America's Top Public High Schools - Newsweek.com

I'm not sure what your point is about MAP scores being scewed. Are you saying SLPS confiscates the student's sealed responses to the test, then changes their answers to be right and then submits it to the state? Sure it's possible they've been doing that in the 15+ years they've been consistantly ranked as one of the best. But it's more likely that it's a top notch school full of bright kids and a strong faculty.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Key word - magnet. And anyone with any background in statistical analysis knows that MAP scores can be skewed, particularly in a less-than-honestly governed system.
Yes, the key word is 'magnet.' We agree: Metro High has great students who are serious about their studies.

The school doesn't have to skew their scores because they don't have to account for a population of mainstreamed mentally or learning disabled students.

Metro High has the ability to dismiss academically under performing students:

Admission into Metro is competitive. You can be proud of yourself for the accomplishments and qualities which gained your acceptance into Metro. We have every hope that your accomplishments will continue. Remember, upon admittance into Metro, you committed to keeping your grades up, or to ceding your spot at Metro if you were unable to do so, as per our Academic Probation policy, which is:
  • 2 F’s at the end of any semester, places you on Academic Probation for the following semester
  • 1 F at the end of that semester, and you may not return to Metro the following year
Metro Academic and Classical High School | General, Academic and Disciplinary Policies (http://slpshs.schoolwires.net/197720812152635977/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=56709 - broken link)

So who's doing the skewing, Mark?

inahandbasket

Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1121 View Post
I have a chance to move to the midwest area with my current job. I am married (early 30's) and will be traveling alot for work. My territory will include Louisville,Cinn,lex, Indy, St.Louis, Nashville and Chicago. I could live anywhere in this territory. I am from NYC and my wife is from Miami we are looking to lay down roots, buy a home and start a family. Looking for a place that is a great place to raise a family and has a low cost of living, etc... From what I have read about St. Louis it seems pretty nice and would be centrally located for my work travels. Any recommendations?

Robert - I urge you to continue researching the St. Louis area. There's a wide variety of urban vs suburban vs rural neighborhoods to fit your needs on both the MO and ILL side of the metro. Be sure to note the low cost of living, minimal traffic, convenient highway/growing mass transit options, free attractions.

St. Louis would make a great home base for you and your family.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 AM

13 posts, read 41,703 times
Thank you all very much for your input, my wife and I plan on visiting later on this month........

Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,108 times
Wow, I'm happy to see all of you talk up my school. A few things I wanna say about it though.
School
-First of all, it is not a gifted school, rather a competitive, magnet school.
-Located on 4015 McPherson in the Central West End.
-Features an open campus where students can pretty much go anywhere they want (~10 good eating options in walking distance)
Getting In
(I'm pretty sure this is pretty much the admission process)
-Getting into Metro is a process that includes a lottery system.
-In order to even make it to the lottery you have to have good test scores and fairly good grades.
-If you make it past the first cut-off your name'll go in a lottery - you'll need some luck.
-If your name is drawn in the lottery and you meet all requirements, you're in
*(A minority student has a better chance of getting in over a white student with similar scores)*
Student Body
-About 320 students (big freshman class this year).
-Around 10% of freshman are not quite up to par and aren't allowed or choose not to attend Metro the next year (this is a fact).
-Very diverse student body.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times
Welcome to stl. This would be a great place to put down roots. it is relatively cheaper than many cities in the midwest. The real estate is very reasonable. you will get your money's worth. it will take some getting used to after living in bigger cities but this would be a great place to have kids and raise them. My personal preferance is Chesterfield a suburb. You have shopping, and are probably 20 to 30 mins from everywhere and you are not that far from the airport and it is newer housing and with the real estate market down you would really get some steals right now.
good luck........

Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,210 times
Based on your initial post and price range, I would look for a city-suburb near I-64/40 or near I-44 for easy access to the city. These would include but are not limited to Brentwood, Clayton, Webster Groves, and Kirkwood. South City in certain parts would be good too if you are into city-life character. I have no idea about schools, as I am a transplant w/ no kids.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 PM

34 posts, read 108,457 times
We moved from San Diego, CA and love St. Louis. I lived in NYC before that. St. Louis is a great family town and very community oriented. Great place to raise a family. Very affordable. The coasts are too much of a grind. I make more money here than in San Diego and housing prices are at least 50%-75% less for the same thing.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 14,842 times
I agree. We moved here from Baltimore and really like the communal feeling, as well as the room to breathe in St. Charles County.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-12-2010 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis