Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,401 times

Advertisements

After over 10 years of living on the East Coast, I moved back to my hometown of St. Louis. I'm a lawyer, and I'll be looking for a job soon, but there's one little thing on which I'd like some clarity - I would love to get my hair locked, for so many reasons, from practicality (my hair can't take relaxers and I can't possibly exercise in this humidity without my hair getting really really kinky w/o a relaxer) to it just looks nice when it's well maintained, and I'm tired of fighting my hair, forcing it to do something it just wasn't meant to do. However, I know St. Louis is still pretty conservative - in DC where I was, it's really not an issue. I would really hate to have to choose b/t my hair and a job - if people had any idea what black women put themselves through just to conform to the ideal of straight hair, perhaps we'd be given more slack (sorry about the comment, but it's true).

So do you think I would have trouble finding a job with locs, or should I do the old bait and switch by getting locs after I got the job?

Thanks for any feedback...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 8,092 times
I work at Wells Fargo on Market and Jefferson Ave. and I know quite a few people with Locs.

I never had locs so I am not sure how hard it is. I know at least 10 people on my floor alone who has have locs or wear naturals right now.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
I've got a friend who works with me in a very conservative office--she does dreadlocks from time to time. I don't think it's an issue as long as it looks well maintained as you said. I honestly think it looks very nice and professional on black women.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,401 times
Thanks for your responses - I'm sure that everyone on this site is tired of hearing about how St. Louis can be so backward, but I'm just "testing the waters" right now - I simply wanna know the temperature here before I dive in. St. Louis is far better than it was when I left - it's like getting to know a completely different city...

Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
^
I think you will find that South City, Central West End, Downtown, U-City, etc are extremely diverse. I have several colleagues that wear dreads, you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: