Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,740 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I may be taking an administrative job that is located on Bellefontaine road. I'll be going on a site visit first, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm walking into. Any hints are appreciated.

What are the chances of finding a safe, nice place to live in the Bellefontaine road/area? Any recommendations (me and my 75 lb mutt)? I've tried doing some searches, but haven't called an agent yet. I'd love to get some St. Louis natives' opinions.

My internet searches for the area have turned up things like 'combat zone' and then also some hints that areas are being refurbished, and that there are some older, safe neighborhoods. I really want to avoid a nightmarish commute (already doing that in FL).

If I buy, I'd be a first-timer, 65k income range. I'm from FL, so my perspectives are skewed on home prices, anything (well, except CA and NY city) seems cheaper.

Am I naive to think about living in this area of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 AM

27 posts, read 174,162 times
Default Working there is fine, live elsewhere.

Hello, I guess we are trading places per se. I am moving to Jax from St. Louis.

I have a friend that lives in Florissant (west of Bellefontaine Rd.) in the Lindsay Rd. (west of Lindbergh Blvd., North from McDonnell Blvd, West of I-270) and it is a well established area with all the conveniences of shopping, bike trails and parks. the house was a 3bd/2bth on cul-de-sac for $130, 000. Commuting to Bellefontaine Rd. from there is very convenient, all freeway more or less.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,740 times
Default Thank you

Thank you for replying, Kpasa! Good luck with your Jacksonville move.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,369 times
I would have to agree Florissant is a great area to live in and it's just 5 min. away

Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,006 times
Default Welcome FLonthemove......

HI FLonthemove,

Bellefontaine Neighbors is history rich town located just 20 minutes from The Gateway Arch and Downtown. For more information, you can view the city's website: [url]http://www.cityofbn.com/ourtown/[/url]
[cut]

Best Wishes,
Melissa :-)
[cut]

Last edited by Marka; 09-15-2006 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: no advertising on the forum please

Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 23,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLonthemove View Post
Hello,
I may be taking an administrative job that is located on Bellefontaine road. I'll be going on a site visit first, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm walking into. Any hints are appreciated.

What are the chances of finding a safe, nice place to live in the Bellefontaine road/area? Any recommendations (me and my 75 lb mutt)? I've tried doing some searches, but haven't called an agent yet. I'd love to get some St. Louis natives' opinions.

My internet searches for the area have turned up things like 'combat zone' and then also some hints that areas are being refurbished, and that there are some older, safe neighborhoods. I really want to avoid a nightmarish commute (already doing that in FL).

If I buy, I'd be a first-timer, 65k income range. I'm from FL, so my perspectives are skewed on home prices, anything (well, except CA and NY city) seems cheaper.

Bellefontaine Neighbors is an older established area of St. Louis. Currently there is not a lot of new home construction and the homes for sale in that area "older". There are some surrounding communities, i.e. Black Jack, Florrisant, that would be in close proximity to where you work (10-15 minutes). Both of these communities have a lot of newer homes and are building new subdivisions.

Last edited by pcrawford; 10-12-2006 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: unintentional advertising

Old 10-15-2006, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 23,018 times
Hi,

Where on Bellefontaine Rd. is your job? I know the area well because I grew up near Bellefontaine Road.

There are a lot of new homes being built in the area as well as some really nice established neighborhoods. Florissant is a nice area as well.

Good luck on your move!

Old 10-16-2006, 04:24 AM

13 posts, read 99,401 times
I grew up in what was then called Spanish Lake, east of Bellefontaine Road. It became a sea of small houses for lower-middle class families to live. It was safe and life was good. The houses are still there but the flavor of the neighborhood is totally changed. Now the crime is high, the drugs flow and it seems anything goes.

If you take highway 270 over the river into Illinois, a short commute will take you to a booming area called Edwardsville, IL. The housing is a bit pricey but you get that safe feeling when you close your eyes at night. And the schools are great.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:41 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,535,962 times
agree with the above poster. That florissant, black jack, bellefontain rd. area is not someplace you will want to set up shop in. Head across the river to Edwardsville, Collinsville or Fairview Heights (though Fairview Heights is a bit longer drive than the other 2) and you will be in a very nice area that is expanding so your house value will in all likelihood keep rising.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLonthemove View Post
Hello,

Florissant is a neat and great place to live with lots of history, but also many newer homes being built in the last few years, which has helped property values rise 23% from 2004-05 as evidenced by this article http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...9/ai_n14830882. There is a beautiful section of town called Old Town with some buildings dating back to the 1790's and early 1800's, and many improvements are being made in the city the last few years that I have witnessed which is helping to redevelop some shopping centers that were outdated.

Everything you need is there, I think there are like 9 or 10 grocery stores in the city, where ever you live in the city will be close to what you need the city just won an award for best new shopping center in Missouri with the new Shoppes at Cross Keys. The city has 18 parks, there is a beautiful park on the Missouri River named Sunset Park which they are renovating to include a nature area, camping grounds, a nature lodge, and even a marina. There is a new bike trail running through the city that eventually when all the work is completed will connect the River and Sunset Park to the heart of Florissant which is Old Town. There are two Civic Centers in the city, each on the opposite end, which have indoor pools and great workout rooms.

It is very conveinant to where you will be working only about a 5-10 minute commute I would say, just hop right onto 270 and you'll be there in a flash, because most of the traffic in that area of 270 in the morning will be commuting the the opposite way from Illinois into Missouri your commute should not be a problem.

Florissant is about as safe as you can get, in fact one of the safest cities in America for its size. The most recent crime statistics in 2005 Florissant had a crime index of 135, which ranks up there with places like Chesterfield that other St. Louisans consider to be very safe, and if you look on the city website http://www.florissantmo.com/local/current/crime.htm (broken link) you will see that crime has even decreased more in 2006 which is amazing consider how low it already was in the past.

I encourage you to look into Florissant and dont be turned away by people with false misconceptions of the area, at least give it a try and a look, its probably the closest and best place to live with where you will be working. It is a friendly community and great place to live. Just my opinion.

Last edited by StlMick829; 10-26-2006 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: addition of sources
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis