U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
 
Location: North Baltimore ----> Seattle
6,473 posts, read 10,100,148 times
Reputation: 3073

Advertisements

Our 99 Forester gets about 20 city and 25 highway. Great car, can't recommend it enough. Very capable on cruddy forest roads also so long as you have good tires on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 PM
 
14,724 posts, read 32,114,663 times
Reputation: 14110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I looked at an 04 Forester XS the other day and was wondering if the MPG would be similar to the one that you have. What year is your Forester? I have heard many accounts of differing MPG for these vehicles with some getting less than advertised and some getting more.
Since MPG is so variable based on factors that are unique to each situation like driving style, traffic and terrain, it is hard to really figure it out and the anecdotal info you get may not be applicable to your situation.

However, there is a neat "trick" to helping you get a good estimate. Observe the current fuel economy in your vehicle and then compare that to what the combined rating is for your current car. Take the percent difference there and apply it to the combined rating of the car you are looking at buying, it will give you about as reasonable a guess as anything you are going to divine from peoples anecdotes online.

Example...

I drive a 2010 Chevy Malibu LT. My car is rated at 26 MPG combined by the EPA. You can get this number for any car off the EPA website. I calculated my actual fuel economy as being 24.6 MPG combined. Figure this number out by filling tank and then driving regularly. When you buy fuel next time, divide the miles you drove by the number of gallons you pumped in to fill the tank again. The more data you have, the more accurate the estimate.

So, 24.6 divided by 26 gives me a difference of -3.4%.

When I look at another car that gets say 33 combined, I could reasonably assume that my actual fuel economy would be ~31.9 (33 * -3.4%).

This number tends to hold up pretty well (within an MPG or two) and I use this method for helping fleets do fuel budgets when they buy new vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:35 PM
 
Location: IN
19,345 posts, read 32,235,519 times
Reputation: 11445
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Since MPG is so variable based on factors that are unique to each situation like driving style, traffic and terrain, it is hard to really figure it out and the anecdotal info you get may not be applicable to your situation.

However, there is a neat "trick" to helping you get a good estimate. Observe the current fuel economy in your vehicle and then compare that to what the combined rating is for your current car. Take the percent difference there and apply it to the combined rating of the car you are looking at buying, it will give you about as reasonable a guess as anything you are going to divine from peoples anecdotes online.

Example...

I drive a 2010 Chevy Malibu LT. My car is rated at 26 MPG combined by the EPA. You can get this number for any car off the EPA website. I calculated my actual fuel economy as being 24.6 MPG combined. Figure this number out by filling tank and then driving regularly. When you buy fuel next time, divide the miles you drove by the number of gallons you pumped in to fill the tank again. The more data you have, the more accurate the estimate.

So, 24.6 divided by 26 gives me a difference of -3.4%.

When I look at another car that gets say 33 combined, I could reasonably assume that my actual fuel economy would be ~31.9 (33 * -3.4%).

This number tends to hold up pretty well (within an MPG or two) and I use this method for helping fleets do fuel budgets when they buy new vehicles.
Thanks. I will save that info. It is kind of hard to get an accurate measure of fuel economy when I am buying a used car because you can only drive it for so many miles before you make a decision the purchase or not. EPA MPG calculator for the vehicle is 19 city and 25 highway which seems quite low for a flat four cylinder engine. I don't have the budget for the new Subaru's which get an advertised 37 mpg highway (Impreza).
I think I am just going to shop for more fuel efficient alternatives at this time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Butler County Ohio
875 posts, read 1,759,984 times
Reputation: 552
Default Tahoe VS Subie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Come again?
Jeep Patriot has generally gotten pretty poor reviews. Not so for the Subaru Forester overall. Gas mileage for the Subaru is better. It's also mostly what I see in snow country (lots of them).
Thats funny !
And is what I thought also

I think both are good vehicles, I think it depends on how much you need to spend to buy the Forester. Also dont forget insurance.
If you need to spend big bucks, you can buy alot of gas for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 15,851,303 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
I drive a 2005 tahoe..I love it except for the gas mileage. My gf and I are huge outdoorsy folks who climb, hike, backpack and camp and we are constantly carting our dog around with us. The gas is just getting expensive in my tahoe...it has given me literally NO problems and is paid for. But I'd probably be able to sell it and get an '05-06 forester and have some cash left over.

Is the forester a nice car? would it be worth it? Is the gas mileage THAT much better?
Why do people do this?

They own a car that is paid for ,and has been reliable, but they panic over gas prices. In doing so they totally ignore the TOTAL cost of owning ANY vehicle which gas prices is but the smallest component.

This issue is better solved by driving what you already own in a different more efficient manner. Remember the wasteful way you drive your present vehicle will be the same wasteful way you drive anything else. So fix your driving habits to always drive for maximum efficiency using what you already own.

After all you can't expect different result by doing the same thing over and over can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 AM
 
Location: IN
19,345 posts, read 32,235,519 times
Reputation: 11445
I couldn't pass up a mint condition 04 Forester XS with nearly all service records. This is a great vehicle for the snow belt. Two questions. 1) It doesn't come with a remote keyless feature, but can you buy one from a dealer or supplier? 2) Where is the trunk lock feature for the hatch on this vehicle. Is it by the power lock button? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
 
1,395 posts, read 2,095,274 times
Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Why do people do this?

They own a car that is paid for ,and has been reliable, but they panic over gas prices. In doing so they totally ignore the TOTAL cost of owning ANY vehicle which gas prices is but the smallest component.

This issue is better solved by driving what you already own in a different more efficient manner. Remember the wasteful way you drive your present vehicle will be the same wasteful way you drive anything else. So fix your driving habits to always drive for maximum efficiency using what you already own.

After all you can't expect different result by doing the same thing over and over can you?
I was the complete opposite...gas was going up and I bought yet another Jeep. Mind you, my Cherokee got around 11-13 when I drove it around town and back/forth to work, my new Grand gets around 20. I've gone as low as 16 combined, but between weekend driving and my commute to work in rush hour, i float between 19 and 20. However, I ride a motorcycle 5-6 months out of the year, so gas doesn't really bother me so much, plus we have a Camry. I love my Jeep, and I bought it for more or less the OPs reasons for his Tahoe...I wanted the space and utility, but I wanted something with TRUE all wheel drive and not the BS that most cars/wannabe SUVs come with now. My old one had regular 4x4 and it was a beast in the snow and driving on sketchy roads/service roads, i'm hoping the GC is just as capable, if not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM
 
400 posts, read 658,929 times
Reputation: 473
I agree with Grandpa Pipes personally. Gas mileage should definitely be on your mind when buying a vehicle, but for most of us it actually doesn't add up as a reason to change cars.

Aside from a decent enough boost in gas mileage there isn't really a lot that a Subaru Forester is going to get you versus your Tahoe. Both vehicles meet your needs. You say you like the Tahoe. I have a Subaru I like a lot and really do not care for Tahoes at all...but in your situation I'd just drive the Tahoe until it started to give me a lot of trouble and then buy a newer Subaru then. I honestly don't think you'll really end up saving much if any money in the end and I HATE shopping for cars, especially used ones.

It'd be a little different if you had a long commute and were looking to trade your Tahoe for an econobox but that doesn't sound like the case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:42 PM
 
774 posts, read 1,835,596 times
Reputation: 718
We have an 09 forester. With slightly more aressive tires the forester is extremely capable and will go 90% of the places my TRD Tacoma will go.

It gets 24 mpg around town and 29 mPg hwy which is better than its EPA ratings. After 69k miles it's been trouble free and it gets driven a LOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 15,851,303 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
We have an 09 forester. With slightly more aressive tires the forester is extremely capable and will go 90% of the places my TRD Tacoma will go.

It gets 24 mpg around town and 29 mPg hwy which is better than its EPA ratings. After 69k miles it's been trouble free and it gets driven a LOT.
Not to take away from the Subaru cars but a well kept Tahoe is every bit as good & reliable car to own. Post that hint that a Subaru is somehow a "better" car are just wrong. it's a good car but not a "wonder" car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top