U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM
pth pth started this thread

274 posts, read 306,723 times

Advertisements

I drive a 2005 tahoe..I love it except for the gas mileage. My gf and I are huge outdoorsy folks who climb, hike, backpack and camp and we are constantly carting our dog around with us. The gas is just getting expensive in my tahoe...it has given me literally NO problems and is paid for. But I'd probably be able to sell it and get an '05-06 forester and have some cash left over.

Is the forester a nice car? would it be worth it? Is the gas mileage THAT much better?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM

18,464 posts, read 25,008,997 times
I bought a newer 4-Cylinder Forester (2010) and love it. I'm getting around 22mpg with combined city/highway driving and around 26mpg on long trips. I would imagine the savings would be significant (around $500 per year) over the Tahoe's 15mpg given the numbers in the links below.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/noframes/21515.shtml (broken link)
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/noframes/22584.shtml (broken link)

Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 AM

3,185 posts, read 3,561,418 times
Stay away from the turbocharged Foresters from '06-'08. Turbo Subarus from that period have an infamous (literally every car) failure in the secondary air intake system that will cost you $1800 minimum to replace every 50k-70k miles. Feel free to google it, it is a well known frustration that is driving many people away from Subaru as a company because of their lack of recall or corrective action.

Other than those turbo ones, I've heard great things about foresters. I'll never buy a Subaru again, but you could very well be happy with one. Make sure you do an extensive test drive!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 AM

14,724 posts, read 32,051,384 times
I think the decision of what to get to replace the Tahoe would in some ways be impacted by exactly how "outdoorsy" and "adventury" you are. Plain and simple the Tahoe is a much more capable offroad vehicle than a Forester. If the extent of adventure is driving up a dirt/gravel fire road or something like that, any number of smaller AWD S/CUV's might be good choice. If you are routinely going over rougher terrain, then you might be better off looking elsewhere (4Runner, Xterra, etc.) or just keeping the Tahoe.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think the decision of what to get to replace the Tahoe would in some ways be impacted by exactly how "outdoorsy" and "adventury" you are. Plain and simple the Tahoe is a much more capable offroad vehicle than a Forester. If the extent of adventure is driving up a dirt/gravel fire road or something like that, any number of smaller AWD S/CUV's might be good choice. If you are routinely going over rougher terrain, then you might be better off looking elsewhere (4Runner, Xterra, etc.) or just keeping the Tahoe.
Thanks for the responses everyone, they are really helpful!

Most of our outdoors driving involves forest service, dirt, gravel, steep mountainous roads to reach trailheads or climbing destinations..in other words, terrain that a forester would be totally capable of handling. I just like the idea of having storage space, room for the dog and gear..as well as a moderately fuel efficient vehicle

Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Stay away from the turbocharged Foresters from '06-'08. Turbo Subarus from that period have an infamous (literally every car) failure in the secondary air intake system that will cost you $1800 minimum to replace every 50k-70k miles. Feel free to google it, it is a well known frustration that is driving many people away from Subaru as a company because of their lack of recall or corrective action.

Other than those turbo ones, I've heard great things about foresters. I'll never buy a Subaru again, but you could very well be happy with one. Make sure you do an extensive test drive!

yikes. I knew there was a reason I liked the '05s better haha

Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM

9,586 posts, read 9,520,689 times
My wife had a Forester and loved it. You could also check the Outback wagon and compare the space. My son and his girlfriend are driving a Subaru wagon to trailheads, campsites, etc. with their 85 pound malamute and they seem to like it.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,144,551 times
How much gear are you hauling how big are these dogs? I think the Forester is a great vehicle and I like the Outback wagons as well. But the Tahoe has tons of space and the option of adding more with roof mounts and tail gate baskets etc. Also, Tahoe is a Chevy and you can find a Ford or Chevy dealership just about any where. My wife bought a SAAB once and it broke down at her Father's place in a small Arkansas town. The nearest SAAB dealership was in Dallas! So she sold it and bought a Tahoe. We've had two Tahoe and only one problem which involved rebuilding a transfer case. I partly mention that story since Arkansas has a lot of Outdoor activities.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:57 PM

14,724 posts, read 32,051,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Also, Tahoe is a Chevy and you can find a Ford or Chevy dealership just about any where. My wife bought a SAAB once and it broke down at her Father's place in a small Arkansas town. The nearest SAAB dealership was in Dallas!
This factor really can't be overlooked. If you are heading into some remote areas, it pays to have a vehicle that anyone can work on and find parts for. In LARGE areas of the country, the only places around really are Ford and GM dealers. Even in less remote areas, it may be very hard to find mechanics and parts for something like a Subaru and most places are not going to have the proper diagnostic tools.

I found your problem right HAR...your pistons are sideways.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 PM

7,291 posts, read 11,870,258 times
Apart from other issues (i.e. if your current ride was unreliable or on its last legs), it's usually not better financially to trade any car for a car with better mileage, strictly for the purpose of getting better mileage. You would be buying an unknown, and already own/know your car. The aforementioned dealership network is important also, especially if you live life off of the beaten path. Back east, maybe not an issue because cities are so close together. Out west, it could present a major issue.

IMO, you're probably better off sticking with what you have and paying the extra gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru