Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM

17 posts, read 75,751 times

Advertisements

Are these good family haulers for two kids and eventually a dog in the suburbs of Boston (snow)?

Please give me details pros and cons.

I also like Volvo xc70, xc60, and xc90.

Annnd the new Ford Escape 2013 looks pretty good!

I wish a Jeep that looked like a Jeep would come out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
What makes u think they would not be good family haulers in the Boston area?
Obviously it will be good in snow. As far as a family vehicle it would depend non how much you plan to carry.
Consumer reports rates subies highly.

Last edited by minibrings; 02-26-2012 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 10:53 PM

Hello minibrings,

I wasn't suggesting that Suburus were not good in the Boston area. I was hoping to hear reasons why they were or were not good family haulers from owners or knowledabe individuals. I mentioned Boston because that's where it will be driven and I wanted to know how it handled in the snow, because it snows in Boston.

This was by no means meant to be an offensive post, so I am surprised and sorry that it upset you.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etakboy View Post
Hello minibrings,

I wasn't suggesting that Suburus were not good in the Boston area. I was hoping to hear reasons why they were or were not good family haulers from owners or knowledabe individuals. I mentioned Boston because that's where it will be driven and I wanted to know how it handled in the snow, because it snows in Boston.

This was by no means meant to be an offensive post, so I am surprised and sorry that it upset you.
Oh no no no,I wasn't upset, sorry, I just misunderstood your post.
I've only had foresters and they were good for family hauling. If you needed more space for hauling the new outbacks have ginormous interiors. So you'd have AWD AND room to carry combined.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,814,193 times
I'd go with the a new Outback with the 2.5/CVT. Perfect family hauler and gets 31MPG highway. The Forester's 4 speed automatic is outdated and is due to be replaced soon.

I'm probably going to go with the new 2012 Subaru XV Crosstrek once my lease is up. Basically an Impreza raised up, will get 30/36MPG. Just wish they had a diesel to deliver great MPG and some power....

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/xv-crosstrek/2013/2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-first-drive.htm (broken link)
l

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 AM

Thank you Minibrings and PokerMunkee for your input! Somehow I really like the looks of the Forester, but the Outback received # 1 for affordable wagons on US News reviews which is hard to ignore. Also 31 highway MPG is great. Eager to test drive both!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,814,193 times
I know lots of people with Subarus, they are dime a dozen around here in Colorado. Two co-workers have the new 2011+ Outback and love it. They are getting around 27mpg on average.

My issue with Subaru is their interiors. I was about to lease a new Legacy last year but got a Kia Optima instead. I couldn't get over that bluetooth, satellite radio, and a push button start weren't standard options in a $23K car. The dash also leaves a lot to be desired.

I hope they improve on this in the next couple of years, because I sure do miss AWD 2 days out of the month!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,477,564 times
I have 2 kids and a big dog. We have a Subie sedan and a minivan. For us, the Forester and the Outback are both too small. We may replace the Subie sedan with an Outback in the next couple of months. Or we may go with a CRV. However, we will keep the minivan because you can fit the kids, the dog and your stuff in a minivan.

My sister has one kid, two dogs and a Forester and she is in need of a minivan. The Forester is just too small on roadtrips. They even have the big car top carrier.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Had a Loyale which was very good in snow as it was real 4X4 and not All wheel drive,would have bought another one but they discontinued the model and the 4X4 system in favor of the Legacy and Impreza , had a Legacy for a while and didnt much like it as it was loud, and somewhat unreliable,uncomfortable and gas mileage sucked.For the expense one pays for the Subaru AWD system i never found it paid for itself on the once or twice a winter when it snowed enough to require AWD.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,823,962 times
I have been disappointed in our 2001 Subie Forester: repairs, rust... I have had better luck with Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. Check out the Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4. We have a Honda Pilot but that is larger than the CRV. The Toyota Highlander might be a good choice and they make a hybrid.
We live in southern NH and all these AWD SUVs will do well in our snow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru