Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Subarus a Regional Vehicle
Yes 42 68.85%
No 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
They're a good value, and not bad to drive.

Only had the opportunity to ride in 3 or 4 of them. If I ever go again, I am bringing a kidney belt. The only worse ride-quality vehicle I was ever in was an old gf's one-ton pickup with no load in it. The interiors are chintzy, lots of interior noise, and I won't state what the car of choice is for some fraction of society.

JMHO.

Personally, I think there are about a dozen or so better choices.

I like the Forester quite a bit. Although I'm not sold on the looks, I can really appreciate the sure footed qualities, practical exterior dimensions, gigantic sunroof, easy height to get in and out, and the utilitarian interior. (I have lived with a few of them for a couple weeks as rentals). Some Subaru models are still available with a manual transmission, which earns the entire brand plenty of points with me. Too few manuals anymore.

With respect to being regional, it kind of seems that way. When I think of Subaru, I think "daily driver" and "bad weather". I don't see a whole lot of them here in the valley (Phoenix area), although there are several dealers. There are plenty of them in the high country only a short distance to the north. Many of them in my neighborhood near Lake Michigan too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
If a v8 losses 30% so does a 4banger.
Not if it has a turbro charger, which the previously mention Subarus do.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Lots of Subarus in Austin. All kinds - Forester, Outback, Impreza, WRX STI, etc.
Was coming here to say this. It seems to be a college town thing, Subaru's having replaced Volvo/Saab as the faculty car of choice. Though Honda seems to be another favorite of the faculty at the school where I work.

I noticed that Ann Arbor had a ton of Subaru's when I lived there even though they are in the heart of big 3 country. Of course this was back in the 90's before seemingly every car was offered with AWD. I wonder if it's any different now.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM

400 posts, read 849,471 times
I'm from Vermont and Subaru is huge here. Rav4 4wd, CR-V rwd and 4wd pickup trucks of all types are pretty common but I'd say the Outback is probably the most common vehicle here, with plenty of legacies, foresters and some imprezas as well. The AWD penalty isn't much and given our main roads are poorly taken care of and a lot of people have barely passable dirt driveways they are quite popular.

Volvos and with AWD are actually pretty common as well, but they're a much more expensive option if you want and AWD wagon first and a luxury car not so much. Frankly I'm surprised those vehicles are as popular here as they are given their expense. I don't care for European makes much but I never even set foot on the lot after I briefly surveyed their prices.

I'd definitely say they are regional though. I make good use of the AWD because of the winter and my driveway but there is no way I'd buy one if I lived in a place it rarely snowed. AWD does add expense and a loss of fuel economy and all thinks being equal I prefer simpler drive train designs over more complex.

I heard subaru was planning an increased focus fuel economy to try and branch out of their niche markets. I think they'll need to offer FWD cars myself if they want to be more of a full line brand because IMO AWD is something you buy because you'll make good use of it, not something you buy just for the hell of it.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, and 37 MPG for an AWD vehicle is still QUITE GOOD.
Indeed. At a good price, too.

I've got a 99 Forester, and the MPG is ok but not great. 20 or so in city driving. However, when the pavement is slippery, or on dirt roads, it's quite sure-footed, and we remember why we have it.

I had the last 2wd subaru produced as well - a 93 loyale - and it was slow as a turtle but quite reliable and very good in snow, despite being 2wd. I'd be eager to see Subaru produce 2wd cars again.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Not if it has a turbro charger, which the previously mention Subarus do.
Some do some don't
and so do some v8' and I6's while some don't.

So if a 375hp v8 loses 30% at 12 thousand feet it still has more hp than a subie at any altitude.
I think you were better off comparing it to a non turbo equipped 4 banger.

Even with a turbo you see a loss at altitude but it is mitigated by the turbo.

ps
At altitude, having a turbo is better than not having a turbo. Much like at sea level :-) .
Whether a turbo performs the same at altitude as at sea level depends on the type of boost control it has. The turbo compresses the intake gasses. What matters is how this compression is controlled.
_Relative _ Boost: One way the turbo compression, or boost, can be regulated is by adding B to the ambient pressure, A. B is fixed. The induction pressure is I = A + B.
Eg. 1, B = 8 psi, A = 15 psi (sea level), so the engine is getting gasses at 23 psi.
Eg. 2, B = 8 psi, A = 12 psi (on top of mesa), so the engine is getting intake gasses at 20 psi.
In this mode of regulation, the turbocharged engines will suffer performance loss with altitude, just like a conventional induction engine.
_Absolute_ Boost: Another way of regulating turbo boost is by adding whatever charge is necessary to the ambient intake air to compress it up to I where as before I = A + B, but now I is constant, and the boost, B is controlled to compensate for changes in ambient pressure, A.

Last edited by snofarmer; 04-20-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I think a lot of people here seem to think that AWD is not useful except in poor traction situations.

Many of the world's best cars are AWD and not expected to be driven in poor weather. Four driven wheels provides better traction in all conditions and can deliver enhanced handling. They can be safer by controlling understeer/oversteer.

I would consider a Subaru because they are good vehicles. AWD is just a plus.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Was coming here to say this. It seems to be a college town thing, Subaru's having replaced Volvo/Saab as the faculty car of choice. Though Honda seems to be another favorite of the faculty at the school where I work.

I noticed that Ann Arbor had a ton of Subaru's when I lived there even though they are in the heart of big 3 country. Of course this was back in the 90's before seemingly every car was offered with AWD. I wonder if it's any different now.
Could be a college town thing. But I think it is mostly an activity thing. Lots of Foresters in Austin have Yakima/Thule racks on them. Usually bikes, but sometimes kayaks. And the WRX cars are just for performance. I would love to have a WRX STI WITHOUT A STUPID SPOILER.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Some do some don't
and so do some v8' and I6's while some don't.

So if a 375hp v8 loses 30% at 12 thousand feet it still has more hp than a subie at any altitude.
Sure, my I6 turbo diesel truck has more HP and bucket loads more torque, but it's still slower than my Subaru because it weighs more than twice as much.

How many v8 come with turbo's straight from the factory? Turbo's on V8 as just not as common as on Subaru's.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
I lived in Helena Montana for fourteen years.
Subaru's are everywhere in that city. and overall are used on an impressive scale in Montana.

I owned a 95 Legacy sedan when I was there.
On my block alone I knew of four families that had one besides myself.

It seems the inland and Pacific Northwest has a love affair with Subaru.

I now live in Allentown, PA.
There's a Subaru dealer in town but I don't see too many of them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru