Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,737,647 times

Advertisements

The Subie def. has a sound all it's own. The Evo's I've seen sound like Hondas with fart cans.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:25 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,309,492 times
To answer the OP and a couple of the responses:

No, it's not a 6 cylinder, it's a flat-4 (or Boxer, if you will), 2.0L or 2.5L, I believe most, if not all the WRX models sold in the US had the 2.5L, and yes, they are turbocharged.

The sound most people think of however (Subaru "burble"), does not comes from it being a boxer engine, not the turbo, but because it came equipped with unequal length headers, creating the unique sound. They briefly stopped using UEL's for some model years (incl. my 06, NA model, and for reference, earlier non turboed models did indeed have the same "burble"), but if memory serves me right, it was such an unpopular decision that they went back to UEL's, despite the equal lenght headers providing superior performance.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:01 PM

20,271 posts, read 37,040,759 times
How do you like this sound?

PURE ENGINE SOUND: Lancia Rally 037 Evo.2 Group B - YouTube

As for engine sound, the Enzo (4th video down the page), is the one most automakers look for:
http://www.michaelmccafferty.com/ferrarisounds.htm

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-28-2012 at 07:20 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 07:10 PM

20,271 posts, read 37,040,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
The Subie def. has a sound all it's own. The Evo's I've seen sound like Hondas with fart cans.
But the Evo can run circles around the Subaru, and it's cheaper

Watch the video reviews:
Subaru STI vs. Mitsubishi Evo vs. VW R32 - Comparison Tests

Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,958,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
To answer the OP and a couple of the responses:

No, it's not a 6 cylinder, it's a flat-4 (or Boxer, if you will), 2.0L or 2.5L, I believe most, if not all the WRX models sold in the US had the 2.5L, and yes, they are turbocharged.

The sound most people think of however (Subaru "burble"), does not comes from it being a boxer engine, not the turbo, but because it came equipped with unequal length headers, creating the unique sound. They briefly stopped using UEL's for some model years (incl. my 06, NA model, and for reference, earlier non turboed models did indeed have the same "burble"), but if memory serves me right, it was such an unpopular decision that they went back to UEL's, despite the equal lenght headers providing superior performance.
When the WRX was first brought here in 02 and through 05, they had the 2.0. They went to the 2.5 in 06(except for the USDM sti which has always had a 2.5).

And you are right about what makes them sound good...the engine design is part of it but the uel headers is the main reason.

And yes the na's with exhaust have the same type sound. I've owned both(currently own 03 WRX wagon), both with aftermarket exhaust and the na sounded just as mean.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:53 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
A cheap way to get that nice V8 sound..
Shonky and the SoundRacer V8 - YouTube

Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM

441 posts, read 1,484,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I have noticed this myself, especially when I've heard a modded WRX. Could it be because it is a horizontally opposed, or "flat" 4 cylinder, rather than a "V" or "I" configuration?

A heavily modded STi pulled up next to me while leaving a cruise-in a couple weeks ago and the exhaust rumble made me feel like I was being kicked in the leg.
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Listen close and you'll hear an old VW in there somewheres. All the Subaru opposing 4s have sounded like that. A lot of times they will even sound like they have dropped a cylinder. It's just more apparent with the WRX, probably due to increased compression, performance exhaust, and valve timing or overlap.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,309,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Listen close and you'll hear an old VW in there somewheres. All the Subaru opposing 4s have sounded like that. A lot of times they will even sound like they have dropped a cylinder. It's just more apparent with the WRX, probably due to increased compression, performance exhaust, and valve timing or overlap.
That's actually not true, my 2.5i, naturally aspirated Subaru does not have the distinctive "Subaru Burble", because it has equal length headers, the Subarus with Unequal length headers has the distinctive sound.

That's not to say that the Boxer engine has a different sound than straight-4's or V6 for that matter, but the main reason for the distinct sound Subarus are known for comes from the Unequal length headers, which causes funny things to happen with the exhaust pulse.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM

441 posts, read 1,484,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
That's actually not true, my 2.5i, naturally aspirated Subaru does not have the distinctive "Subaru Burble", because it has equal length headers, the Subarus with Unequal length headers has the distinctive sound.

That's not to say that the Boxer engine has a different sound than straight-4's or V6 for that matter, but the main reason for the distinct sound Subarus are known for comes from the Unequal length headers, which causes funny things to happen with the exhaust pulse.
To clarify, I'm not talking the note as much As the cadence of the exhaust. Even the old Ones with the spare on top of the engine had a hint of a VW.
Listen close and you'll hear it. Especially on acceleration.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,189,893 times
These cars will never be classified as "hot rods"......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.