Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:38 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,365,836 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a new car and I'm considering the Subaru Impreza or Outback. I'm living in Los Angeles but plan to move back east to possible Ithica NY or Amherst, MA.

- I need something that is comfortable to drive. The seats have to be good to support my back, otherwise, I'll have trouble.

- Also need something that is reasonable on gas mileage. Not sure what these cars get. Does anyone know first hand?

- Also need hatchback or wagon for storage, since I'll be throwing all my stuff in the back.

Thanks for the feedback,

Greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 03:55 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,936,108 times
Subaru's are excellent cars. We have a 2007 Subaru legacy and it is hands down the best car we have ever owned. Performance, ride, AWD, sportiness, everything about the car is absolutely outstanding. Although we have the Subaru Sedan, I believe the Wagon is basically the same car.

Good Luck.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
I've considered them at different times, but I just can't seem to be sold on them.

Yes, they seem to be built well and have good safety features and all that, but they still seem to ask a lot of money for what they are, and the resale doesn't seem to make up for it......I gues they just don't have the demand of some other vehicles.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:16 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
I like Subies; word has it they are quite practical vehicles in 4 season country.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:13 PM

11,547 posts, read 52,903,008 times
I worked on these cars for my customers during the 80-90's, and they were pretty sturdy, reliable, and dependable 4 season climate cars which were easily capable of delivering several hundred thousand miles of service without too much expense.

The models from 1995 onward were substantially improved over the earlier series for comfort, performance, features, and handling. They did include the prior sturdiness, too.

With the exception of some stumbles with their motors in the 2.5 liter series in the late 1990's, the cars have had an exceptional durability at minimal cost. Since you're looking at buying a newer model, these issues are long past being a concern to you.

We live pretty far out in the country now in a severe winter climate zone in Wyoming, and depend upon our 1995 Legacy Wagon (200K miles) and 1997 Legacy Outback (185K miles) as basic transportation. Both of them are superb winter snow and black ice handling cars ... and are only equipped with all season rated tires. I can drive the Outback anytime I could otherwise drive my '96 Dodge 2500 4x4 ... and our rural mail carriers almost all use the right hand drive mail carrier model of the Subaru's from the late 90's ... all with very high mileage now on them.

Our minimum commute is 30 miles each way, with about 12 miles of country dirt roads to get to the interstate highway. The '95 averages 31-32 mpg with my wife driving, averaging around 65-70 mph on the highway, about 50 on the dirt roads. The '97 generally gets about 27-28 mpg driven on the same routes. We took a trip last week to Lander WY, and got 29+ mpg cruising 75 mph (with cruise control) on the interstate highways and a bit on the 65 mph state highways in a well loaded down car (camping gear, etc.), the '97.

I have friends with 2002-2005 Outback models ... all seem to get around 27-28 mpg with their cars ... doesn't matter if it's the Legacy Outback or the (smaller car) Impreza Outback. They have virtually identical motors, transmissions & drivetrains. None have had any serious difficulties with the cars.

The "value" of a Subie in the marketplace varies greatly across the USA. The NewEngland states, Rocky Mountain region, and the Pacific Northwest command a premium market for these cars in the secondary marketplace. Areas without a true 4 season climate don't seem to value them so much ... so they trade for a lot less in the Southwest or Southern states.

While you aren't considering a used Subaru, ... I wouldn't be afraid of buying one with 100K miles on the odometer as long as it checked out OK, was straight, and had been maintained according to factory specs ... oil/filter changes, coolant changes, diff/trans fluid changes. The consumables for these cars aren't too expensive ... tires, brakes, filters, timing belt/tensioner ... as they tend to go for fairly long intervals. I bought mine with at least that mileage on them, confident that I'd get another couple hundred thousand miles of service out of them. Perhaps that helps put these cars in perspective for you as a new purchase.

To have the AWD handling, you will give up a little in comfort, gimmicks, and fuel economy/performance compared to other FWD Asian cars at a comparable price point. If you don't need the AWD for your location, then the Subie may not be your first choice .... If you do, I haven't seen any other AWD car that matches it for lowest life cycle cost of operation. Volvo, Audi, and MB make some very nice AWD cars/wagons ... but they come at a premium purchase price and cost a heck of a lot more to keep on the road ... and may not be as sturdy and durable as the Subie.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,365,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I worked on these cars for my customers during the 80-90's, and they were pretty sturdy, reliable, and dependable 4 season climate cars which were easily capable of delivering several hundred thousand miles of service without too much expense.

The models from 1995 onward were substantially improved over the earlier series for comfort, performance, features, and handling. They did include the prior sturdiness, too.

With the exception of some stumbles with their motors in the 2.5 liter series in the late 1990's, the cars have had an exceptional durability at minimal cost. Since you're looking at buying a newer model, these issues are long past being a concern to you.

We live pretty far out in the country now in a severe winter climate zone in Wyoming, and depend upon our 1995 Legacy Wagon (200K miles) and 1997 Legacy Outback (185K miles) as basic transportation. Both of them are superb winter snow and black ice handling cars ... and are only equipped with all season rated tires. I can drive the Outback anytime I could otherwise drive my '96 Dodge 2500 4x4 ... and our rural mail carriers almost all use the right hand drive mail carrier model of the Subaru's from the late 90's ... all with very high mileage now on them.

Our minimum commute is 30 miles each way, with about 12 miles of country dirt roads to get to the interstate highway. The '95 averages 31-32 mpg with my wife driving, averaging around 65-70 mph on the highway, about 50 on the dirt roads. The '97 generally gets about 27-28 mpg driven on the same routes. We took a trip last week to Lander WY, and got 29+ mpg cruising 75 mph (with cruise control) on the interstate highways and a bit on the 65 mph state highways in a well loaded down car (camping gear, etc.), the '97.

I have friends with 2002-2005 Outback models ... all seem to get around 27-28 mpg with their cars ... doesn't matter if it's the Legacy Outback or the (smaller car) Impreza Outback. They have virtually identical motors, transmissions & drivetrains. None have had any serious difficulties with the cars.

The "value" of a Subie in the marketplace varies greatly across the USA. The NewEngland states, Rocky Mountain region, and the Pacific Northwest command a premium market for these cars in the secondary marketplace. Areas without a true 4 season climate don't seem to value them so much ... so they trade for a lot less in the Southwest or Southern states.

While you aren't considering a used Subaru, ... I wouldn't be afraid of buying one with 100K miles on the odometer as long as it checked out OK, was straight, and had been maintained according to factory specs ... oil/filter changes, coolant changes, diff/trans fluid changes. The consumables for these cars aren't too expensive ... tires, brakes, filters, timing belt/tensioner ... as they tend to go for fairly long intervals. I bought mine with at least that mileage on them, confident that I'd get another couple hundred thousand miles of service out of them. Perhaps that helps put these cars in perspective for you as a new purchase.

To have the AWD handling, you will give up a little in comfort, gimmicks, and fuel economy/performance compared to other FWD Asian cars at a comparable price point. If you don't need the AWD for your location, then the Subie may not be your first choice .... If you do, I haven't seen any other AWD car that matches it for lowest life cycle cost of operation. Volvo, Audi, and MB make some very nice AWD cars/wagons ... but they come at a premium purchase price and cost a heck of a lot more to keep on the road ... and may not be as sturdy and durable as the Subie.
Thanks so much for all the great info. What about comfort? Do you find the seats comfortable? I recently bought an '05 Toyota RAV4 and had to turn around and sell it because the seats were barbaric. Now, like never before, I am very focused on seat comfort.

Greenie

P.S. I'm glad to hear they are durable. I can probably buy a used one here in Los Angeles and then sell it on the east coast if my needs change.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:32 PM

11,547 posts, read 52,903,008 times
I find the seats in my highline '97 Outback to be very comfortable for a day's worth of driving (I'm a rep), far better than the original seats in my '95. In fact, I took the original seats out of the '95 and replaced them with seats from a higher spec model than mine ... but they still aren't as nice as the leather/heated seats in my '97 for lumbar support.

That said ... seat comfort is a personal judgement call. Best for you to test drive a couple of the cars for awhile and decide for yourself. Be aware that there are different interior packages in these cars and the high line or optioned out models definitely have more adjustments and better construction.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I find the seats in my highline '97 Outback to be very comfortable for a day's worth of driving (I'm a rep), far better than the original seats in my '95. In fact, I took the original seats out of the '95 and replaced them with seats from a higher spec model than mine ... but they still aren't as nice as the leather/heated seats in my '97 for lumbar support.

That said ... seat comfort is a personal judgement call. Best for you to test drive a couple of the cars for awhile and decide for yourself. Be aware that there are different interior packages in these cars and the high line or optioned out models definitely have more adjustments and better construction.
Sunsprit is correct: ergonomics are subjective.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:02 AM

4,271 posts, read 15,213,164 times
I never really thought much about Subarus when I lived in Texas (which was pretty much all my life) - didn't really know anybody who drove them. Then I moved to NY and I saw Subarus EVERYWHERE. Apparently it has a good reputation in the east coast. I was totally confused why but I think they are good cars for the winter months or something.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:35 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I never really thought much about Subarus when I lived in Texas (which was pretty much all my life) - didn't really know anybody who drove them. Then I moved to NY and I saw Subarus EVERYWHERE. Apparently it has a good reputation in the east coast. I was totally confused why but I think they are good cars for the winter months or something.
Yes, they are EXCELLENT cars for winter driving, especially when equipped with snow tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru