Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
---------
Now, going back to Subaru: what I would like to see someday is a normally aspirated Subaru V6 motor that produces around 270 HP and burns regular unleaded, coupled to a 6-speed manual transmission. I have no idea why Toyota scratched their V6 from the 2013 Rav 4. The 2014 Forester is now a lot more interesting than the newer Rav 4 offerings, and unlike some of the reviewers have complained about the bland interior, to me it looks real nice and does not distract me when driving it. Some automobiles have all kinds of distracting lights and gadgets that get on my nerves.
Subaru will never release anything with a V6 because they only make flat "boxer" engines That being said, they have a flat 6 engine, but it doesn't fit in the Forester engine bay I don't think. Plus it's not a real great 6 cylinder anyway, they might abandon it because they get better results from their turbo fours.

I think Toyota scratched the V6 because it was just too much engine for a compact SUV.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, so I still don't get what the issue is with a turbo.
Well, maybe I can clarify a couple of things, but mostly having to do with me and turbo motors where I live:

a. According to all the advise I hear about turbo motors and warming the oil before driving the car-this includes advise from Subaru. In order for me to accomplish such I would have to wait a lot longer than 15 minutes before I drive it in the middle of the winter, simply because even a normally aspirated engine takes a long time to warm the oil barely enough. But I still can drive this one even if the oil is not warm enough. Since I am cheap , there is no way I am going to drive a new vehicle that has a turbo motor. Even my GMC Sierra's 350 motor, after idling for 15 minutes, takes about 15 to 20 minutes of driving on the highway at 50 MPH to start putting out warm air. The first 15 minutes of idling barely defogs the windshield, because the AC does not come on to remove moisture when the preset temperature from the factory (usually around -26 degrees for some automobiles).

b. At -38 and colder everything around you (outdoors) is covered with ice fog. The ice fog is so thick on the road that you can barely see the tail lights of the car in front of you at night. Even during the day you can't see more than a car length or two ahead of you. It means that you want that windshield completely free of frozen moisture inside the car.

c. The Subaru turbo motor and most of others burn super unleaded fuel. A gallon of regular unleaded costs anywhere from $3.65 to nearly $4.00 per gallon. Also, since all the half-shafts and wheel bearings' grease turns quite thick when the temperature is very low, this in turn puts a heavier drag on the motor (more fuel use).

The turbo motor is supposed to provide more power and at the same time use less fuel than a normally aspirated motor, and that's fine I guess. But for me it makes not sense to use such a motor where I live because I would still have to buy more expensive fuel, and I would only be saving some of this fuel in the very short summers we have in the interior of Alaska. Now in the lower-48 States I see no problems with it. In here I would have to baby it too much.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-27-2013 at 11:11 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
I am probably going to get the new XT, depending if the Legacy or Outback get the same 2.0T.

Just need a push button start and it will have most of the goodies.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
What's the attraction of push-button start?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM

219 posts, read 658,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, maybe I can clarify a couple of things, but mostly having to do with me and turbo motors where I live:

Well there we go! I'll call up History channel and Discovery and tell them I have an idea for a new Alaska based Reality TV series. This one will focus on the hard and dangerous lives of people starting their cars in Alaska. It's sure to be a hit.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What's the attraction of push-button start?

One small fob, leave key it in jacket/pants/purse. Just nice to never have to get out a key when getting in your car.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Lesbians rejoice!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM

The old Forester was the official lesbian vehicle. I think the Outback has now taken over that role.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
Well there we go! I'll call up History channel and Discovery and tell them I have an idea for a new Alaska based Reality TV series. This one will focus on the hard and dangerous lives of people starting their cars in Alaska. It's sure to be a hit.
Believe it or not, most automobile and aircraft manufacturers perform cold weather tests of their products in Fairbanks. So for us a TV series is a waste of time, since there is nothing dangerous about it
Mercedes Sprinter vans reach Fairbanks

Aircraft:
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...fe682d9d6.html

But I am willing to cold-weather test a brand new Forester for Subaru and save them a whole bunch of money. All I would request is for them to offer me a brand new Forester, free of charge. I can test the new turbo motor for four winters in a row and see how it performs.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-28-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Subaru will never release anything with a V6 because they only make flat "boxer" engines That being said, they have a flat 6 engine, but it doesn't fit in the Forester engine bay I don't think. Plus it's not a real great 6 cylinder anyway, they might abandon it because they get better results from their turbo fours.

Is the 6 cyl in the Subaru Outback the flat 6 cyl? Are you saying it's not that great? I was just looking at the Outback and liked the idea that it had a cyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru