Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected. We also have a Tribeca (along with a 2002 WRX) with a 5/spd auto and it is also biased 45/55, but I thought the older 4 speed autos where much more front drive biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I stand corrected. We also have a Tribeca (along with a 2002 WRX) with a 5/spd auto and it is also biased 45/55, but I thought the older 4 speed autos where much more front drive biased.
Used to be that you could pretty much count on the non-turbo 4-cylinder autos to be FWD-biased. I don't think it's quite so clear-cut any more.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Some people don't want to put up with a clutch on their only car. I'm one of them, hence 2014 Forester XT instead of 2013 WRX. Forester XT will get better gas mileage anyway.
Sorry for the late reply.

And I agree, the Forester XT is an excellent alternative for people who favor an automatic transmission, it's more compliant as well and certainly more utilitarian.

So I agree 100%, it's a good thing Subaru also makes the Forester XT. Personally I'm a bit bummed the upcoming XT will not be available with a manual 6-speed, because frankly, I'd get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
The GTI has offered an automatic option for a long time (a dual clutch) and the manual transmission is still standard.

I totally disagree. A dual clutch completely outperforms a manual transmission. So unless you truly find a clutch pedal to be "fun" there's no reason for a manual.

I suppose you think Formula 1 cars are pointless then?
I do indeed greatly prefer a manual transmission, it works more seamlessly for me. (And yes, that's a subjective opinion) I have driven the GTI with a DSG and I didn't like it too much, it's not tactile enough and not integral enough to the driving experience.

And yes, outside of their very limited scope of driving on perfectly paved racetrack at very high speeds, F1 cars are completely useless. But more important than that, I don't drive an F1 car, I drive a street car, and if I ever do get to drive a car on a track, I doubt my skills will get to a level where I'll need a DSG to make up for my slow shifting.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalRescue View Post
Cause i dont know how to drive manual plus idk if id like to worry about shifting all the time.
If you learn how to do it, you will never worry about shifting all the time.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If you learn how to do it, you will never worry about shifting all the time.
There are plenty of good reasons out there to not want to drive a clutch pedal, from a lack of physical capability to a traffic-filled commute that would be a pain. Ultimately the only reason that counts and the one you have to respect is "I don't want a clutch pedal."

I know how to drive one. I still don't want to worry about it. My commute would be MURDER if I had to mess with a clutch every day. Do I like the engagement? Yeah, but if it means dealing with a clutch, the frustration in stop-and-go traffic isn't worth it, I'd rather deal with a DCT or CVT.

I don't particularly care for automatics unless Mazda builds them.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
At least the Forester gets a held back engine. It doesn't deserve to have the full tilt engine mated to an automatic. Go for the manual. Subaru built this car and put a manual transmission for a good reason. You won't be disappointed. The WRX STI with an automatic feels neutered at best.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
You're aware the STI doesn't come with an automatic, and has never come with an automatic in the US?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
There are plenty of good reasons out there to not want to drive a clutch pedal, from a lack of physical capability to a traffic-filled commute that would be a pain. Ultimately the only reason that counts and the one you have to respect is "I don't want a clutch pedal."

I know how to drive one. I still don't want to worry about it. My commute would be MURDER if I had to mess with a clutch every day. Do I like the engagement? Yeah, but if it means dealing with a clutch, the frustration in stop-and-go traffic isn't worth it, I'd rather deal with a DCT or CVT.

I don't particularly care for automatics unless Mazda builds them.

I can kinda see not wanting to deal with a clutch, but really I don't even notice that I drive an manual anymore. It's like breathing.

Even when I lived in LA, and dealt with LA traffic, it wasn't a big deal. I never wished for an automatic. Granted the shifter in my Civic SI (at the time) was really nice feeling, so that might have had something to do with it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
You're aware the STI doesn't come with an automatic, and has never come with an automatic in the US?
Moderator cut: Name calling It's called the A-Line and it's available in Japan. I've been over there (and even used to live there) and have driven it during my last visit. Try again.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 01-10-2013 at 08:15 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM

458 posts, read 1,248,510 times
Quote:

This is exactly why I got the DSG transmission in my GTI. It's my only car so it's my daily driver. If I was simply using the car for fun I would probably have gotten manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85
I do indeed greatly prefer a manual transmission, it works more seamlessly for me. (And yes, that's a subjective opinion) I have driven the GTI with a DSG and I didn't like it too much, it's not tactile enough and not integral enough to the driving experience.
You are certainly entitled to that opinion and I would not dispute that with you.

Sorry to hear you did not like the DSG, personally I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85
And yes, outside of their very limited scope of driving on perfectly paved racetrack at very high speeds, F1 cars are completely useless. But more important than that, I don't drive an F1 car, I drive a street car, and if I ever do get to drive a car on a track, I doubt my skills will get to a level where I'll need a DSG to make up for my slow shifting.
My point was they didn't build the car for people to have fun shifting gears. Hence why many other cars in the same class offer automatic options, often in the way of a DCT. They are affordable performance cars. Putting an auto in one is a far cry from making it "pointless".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru