Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Bad headgaskets were prevailent in the 2.5 NA (normally aspirated) motors from the early 2000's through about 2006. After that they corrected the issue. The XT (Turbo) versions had a different head gasket and never experience the same issues. The H6 or 6 cylinder models also were immune to the head gasket problems.
My son's 2005 XT has 85K on it and he drives it like he stole it most times. No issues with HG failure. Two CV boot repairs (left and right), rear wheel bearing replacement (on Subaru's dime), replaced PS, alt and air belts and regular oil and tire changes are the extent of the repairs thus far.

Agreed that if AWD is not high on your list of needs there are better MPG people haulers out there.
Sorry to (continue to) take this a bit off topic. I had a 1999 wagon until a couple of days ago. I never had a head gasket problem but it was a possibility.

"The first group is the 1st generation 2.5l engine found predominantly in the 1996 to 1999 Outback, Legacy G.T., Forrester (up to mid year 1998) and Subaru Impreza R.S. This group usually, will develop an internal head gasket leak ultimately resulting with an overheating engine."

Subaru Head Gasket Problems Explained. - Seattle Subaru Repair

I loved that car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sorry to (continue to) take this a bit off topic. I had a 1999 wagon until a couple of days ago. I never had a head gasket problem but it was a possibility.

"The first group is the 1st generation 2.5l engine found predominantly in the 1996 to 1999 Outback, Legacy G.T., Forrester (up to mid year 1998) and Subaru Impreza R.S. This group usually, will develop an internal head gasket leak ultimately resulting with an overheating engine."

Subaru Head Gasket Problems Explained. - Seattle Subaru Repair

I loved that car.
Thanks for correcting my post. I was shooting from memory (always a bad thing at my age). I thought the 2.2 motor was pre-2000. I knew it was the early 2.5's and the NA motors only.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Great choice if he wants high ground clearance, good utility, and good all wheel drive. They are comfortable, and there is a decent dealer network in a lot of remote cold weather climates. I think Subarus (Outback, Forester, Impreza wagon especially WRX) are great cars for people who like adventuring. The all wheel drive is a big bonus where I live, because my state is full of national forests and lots of areas that aren't easily accessible with a standard car. I bought a Forester a year or so ago, because I have two European cars and they just don't have any ground clearance, or traction in bad weather.

Keep in mind anything with a back seat is a potential family car. Subarus are everyone cars in more severe climates. I have heard all the "family car" bull**** from people when they learn that one of my cars is a Forester. Most of these people don't care about adventuring, the outdoors, or things like that.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
He lives in Phoenix I don't think he needs awd. I heard awd systems are more maintenance and go through tires alot faster
They don't go through tires faster. Maintenance costs could be higher (there are more parts).

Unless your friend takes all of his road trips south of I-10, he is probably driving at high altitude some of the time. There are a lot of areas of Arizona--some of the most scenic and memorable--that experience heavy rain and snow, and all wheel drive comes in handy on forest roads. It's not necessarily a requirement, but it opens a lot of doors. I had a great trip up 89A through Oak Creek Canyon in a blizzard. The warning signs said that chains were recommended. Not necessary. Another drive on I-17 on sheet ice with cars off in the median and ditches all over the place. This type of thing isn't unusual, especially on the back roads.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
I'd get a XV Crosstek if I was a single guy:

The 2014 Forester is also going to be a nice car, worth looking at it if he wants a quick vehicle (XT has 250HP).

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Single guy wants a Subaru why not a BRZ?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,393 times
Outbacks are great cars. Plenty of space, adventure capability, and reliability.

Only downsides are that they are incredibly common, and incredibly boring. WRX wagon is immensely more fun to drive with a little less space.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post

they are incredibly common...
I rarely see them.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
They don't go through tires faster. Maintenance costs could be higher (there are more parts).

Unless your friend takes all of his road trips south of I-10, he is probably driving at high altitude some of the time. There are a lot of areas of Arizona--some of the most scenic and memorable--that experience heavy rain and snow, and all wheel drive comes in handy on forest roads. It's not necessarily a requirement, but it opens a lot of doors. I had a great trip up 89A through Oak Creek Canyon in a blizzard. The warning signs said that chains were recommended. Not necessary. Another drive on I-17 on sheet ice with cars off in the median and ditches all over the place. This type of thing isn't unusual, especially on the back roads.
It's AWD and you still have to replace all four tires at the same time, so a larger upfront incurred cost instead of replace the front or rear tires separately on a FWD vehicle.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,189 times
Subarus are the most overrated brand of cars.

They can't hold a candle to Toyota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru