Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
An "A" ticket would be a Crosstrek equipped with the 2.0 boxer diesel that Subaru sells in Europe, along with X-Mode being put on the option sheet. The diesel Forester sold in Europe gets around 40 mpg on the highway. I suspect a diesel Crosstrek would best that by at least 10%.

The Crosstrek is being marketed to the younger crowd that wants an affordable AWD SUV with some backcountry capability, but the Subaru misses the target by not offering X-Mode as either standard or available in it. If I fault Subaru for anything it is for just about hitting the mark with a lot of the vehicle models--but not quite hitting it solidly enough in the bulls-eye to have a runaway winner of a vehicle. I will admit that the 2014 Forester models with X-Mode come close.

As for the Prius, it's an all-around very, very good car. The only drawback that I've found with it is that it is a little noisy in the cabin on the highway, especially for a hybrid car (maybe saving weight by going light on sound insulation?). I've always thought that Toyota could have a runaway winner variation of the Prius if they would put taller tires on it and re-engineer the suspension to give it 8" of ground clearance and equip that variation with all-wheel-drive. It would probably still top 43-45 mpg in combined fuel economy and would make for a true all-weather excellent mpg hybrid. Yeah, the Crosstrek is coming with a hybrid model, but it's not the latest hybrid technology and its fuel economy is not enough better than the non-hybrid model to justify the extra cost. From what I've read, Subaru is sticking their toe in the water to test the hybrid market for Subarus. If its good, they will likely put the latest Prius technology (licensed from Toyota) in the next version of the Crosstrek. That would be pretty neat, too.

All said, I wish Subaru would offer a boxer diesel/CVT powertrain in their US vehicles. I'd buy one of those.

thanks for your update, I'm going looking on Sat. but not interested in the Prius anylonger. It will be either a honda or a Subaru, and I do like the forester. Was hoping to get a left over, but the crosstreks are selling out quickly. I'm not pleased with the Crosstrek, as far as gas milage now, especially after getting 35 MPG with the car I know have, 44 MPG Highway.

One thing about a Prius, no, two things, they are a cheaply made car with a very good engine in it, crash tests were poor. Also, after five years, the batteries will have to be replaced which will cost a lot of money.

So, its probably now going to be a Honda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

One thing about a Prius, no, two things, they are a cheaply made car with a very good engine in it, crash tests were poor. Also, after five years, the batteries will have to be replaced which will cost a lot of money.
Well, not right on either count. The Prius C did poorly in some crash tests, the regular Prius did fine. As for the batteries, that's an urban legend that just won't die. Even the earliest models of the Prius with older battery technology have not had any massive battery failures. In fact, battery failure has pretty much been a non-issue with all Prius cars. Yeah, the batteries may wear out after 250K-300K miles, but what is the powertrain in most any small car going to look like at that mileage?

Old 11-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Well, not right on either count. The Prius C did poorly in some crash tests, the regular Prius did fine. As for the batteries, that's an urban legend that just won't die. Even the earliest models of the Prius with older battery technology have not had any massive battery failures. In fact, battery failure has pretty much been a non-issue with all Prius cars. Yeah, the batteries may wear out after 250K-300K miles, but what is the powertrain in most any small car going to look like at that mileage?

hmmmmm.

ok, so, you also don't see any computer problems as of yet? I dunno, I think in another 5 - 10 years, hybrids, will be the in thing....however, presently, everything goes to the computer, and you probably know what that may bring. For me, I just don't think a hybrid would be the ticket? Plus, why is it, so much more expensive?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:06 AM

^People I know have Prii that they have driven over 200K miles without any battery/electrical problems. The electrical system on the latest generation Prius appears especially well-built. I can remember when "old-schoolers" bashed electronic fuel injection technology when it started to become common 30 years ago. "I'll stick with the old reliable carburetor," they said. Well, EFI proved to be way more reliable with way better drivability than a carbureted vehicle ever was. I think the same is coming true for hybrid technology.

I will admit that not all manufacturers have been as successful with hybrid technology as has Toyota. So, I qualify my endorsement of hybrids to the Toyota technology.

As for the cost--well technology, no matter what kind, costs money. Priced any current model diesels with all the latest emission control technology? Ouch. With Toyotas, there is also the fact that they are selling every hybrid that they can build. I'm sure the hybrids are now being priced to what the market will bear, as well as to help Toyota recover years and years of development costs.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
^People I know have Prii that they have driven over 200K miles without any battery/electrical problems. The electrical system on the latest generation Prius appears especially well-built. I can remember when "old-schoolers" bashed electronic fuel injection technology when it started to become common 30 years ago. "I'll stick with the old reliable carburetor," they said. Well, EFI proved to be way more reliable with way better drivability than a carbureted vehicle ever was.

I will admit that not all manufacturers have been as successful with hybrid technology as has Toyota. So, I qualify my endorsement of hybrids to the Toyota technology.
Oh boy, now it's back to the drawing board, think I'll look at the Prius again? (sigh)

So, the Prii C is the best?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 AM

Reason I'm' being so gun shy is b/c I bought a brand new ford fiesta 2 1/2 years ago. God, that car gets good gas milage, however, it's been in the shop more then I'd like to admit. New Clutch, new trans, and it still makes the metallic gringing noise when temps get down to 35 - 40. It's had so many things wrong with it....I will never ever buy another American made car again. I always had grand am's before, and they were wonderful....but....

So, now I'm really scared....

Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
so when you say regular Prius, what do you mean?

There are so many models out there?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
so when you say regular Prius, what do you mean?

There are so many models out there?
Prius (regular Prius).

Prius C (a smaller car not built on the regular Prius chassis). It is a "tinnier" vehicle, does not have good crash test results, and gets no better fuel economy than a regular Prius. Toyota only offered it to have a hybrid at a lower price point, a mistake on Toyota's part, in my opinion.

Prius V. A "cute-ute" enlarged version of the regular Prius. More cargo room--slightly lower fuel economy, but the powertrain is the same as the regular Prius.

Plug-in Prius. A regular Prius with an external charging option. Likely as good as the regular Prius, but priced too high to be competitive with the regular non-plug-in Prius, unless one does all short distance in-city commuting in a place with low electric rates (think Seattle).

By the way, the Fiesta is really more European than American. It is based on a model built by Ford in Europe for several years prior to being introduced into the US.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:51 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
I think a Crosstek is really an image car. Basically, it is geared toward an outdoorsy individual.

Have you considered a regular Imprezza? Also, the Honda Insight is pretty cheap and gets decent gas mileage.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
jazzlover

By the way, the Fiesta is really more European than American. It is based on a model built by Ford in Europe for several years prior to being introduced into the US.
I know, and that is one of the reasons I purchased it, however, they are having a whole lot of problems with the drive trains, in the Fiesta and the Focus....not to mention, all the other problems I've had with it....I've heard that Ford, doesn't really care about they're American Customers, b/c they mostly do business in Europe....and to be honest, that was proved by me. They just didn't care. I'm telling you the milage it gets is great, but all else fails....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru