Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 PM

96 posts, read 91,933 times

Advertisements

A week ago my 15 Subaru Forester XT was relocated to another spot about 3-4 blocks away (less than half a mile) because I didn't get the notice of a filming in the area in time. I'm in the Forest Hills area and from what I see and hear, NYPD tows the cars and relocates them. I know that they don't have flatbeds. So far my car has no problems that I'm aware of. The Forester XT has three modes. The I mode helps conserve fuel and is the slowest throttle response of the 3. When I'm on I mode and going about 20MPH to 30MPH, the engine is not as smooth now. Letting go of the gas and getting back on the gas pedal I felt was smoother before the relocation of my car. The RPM is under 1500 btw. Is it in my head or is there a slight damage to my car? What potential damage could be done to my car if it was improperly towed?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 10:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
I don't know of the specific damage that could happen, I'm not a mechanic or even close to it but I would imagine it would have to do with the differentials. I know that Subarus have to be flatbeded or towed with a dolly under the other wheels so I would demand a record of the tow. The tow company should have it and because it would have been a more expensive tow it should reflect any special conditions of that tow as the company would be able to collect more money because of it.

You should talk to an expert about towing AWD cars- good luck.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Normally no. But you can always see a mechanic who can actually check it if you want.no one here knows if it in your head or not.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:08 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
When the NYPD relocates a car, it's not a tow and impound where the owner would pay the towing fee and for any ticket, merely the city relocating the vehicles for a specific purpose. I can guarantee that the vehicle was not moved via flatbed because I have seen tow trucks hook up vehicles to move them, and it's just the regular garden-variety city tow trucks that usually make the rounds, not the heavy duty trucks or flatbeds. The tow trucks are supposed to have dollies for AWD vehicles, and I think the city has a couple of flatbeds, but they are rare.

There could have been wear on the center differential due to an improper tow, but I do not know how much damage could occur in three to four blocks in Queens. Was the parking brake on? I might take the vehicle to see if there is an issue that a Subaru mechanic could diagnose, a problem.

I know someone who had an Audi transmission go bad because the vehicle was towed improperly, as it was a quattro, but that was a private tow company and the insurance company paid for the repairs. When it's the city, you may have to claim against your own insurance for any damages, and then the insurance company will attempt to recover damages from the city, since that's not an easy proposition to do on your own, especially if the damage is reported more than a week after the fact. The city would likely try to disclaim any responsibility for damages because the claim was not immediately reported. It would be key to know which tow truck towed your vehicle, such that it could be determined whether or not it had AWD dollies that were used with your vehicle.

Good luck, and I hope that no damage was caused by the tow, but given how I have seen vehicles towed, i.e., with reckless abandon, and AWD vehicles being improperly towed in Manhattan, it's possible that your vehicle sustained damage.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-30-2014, 12:28 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Well, smaller automobiles aren towed these days, but loaded on flatbed car-hauling trucks. You said that the haulers didn't have flatbeds; but can't think of a way of towing a locked car with the transmission on "park." Was your car unlocked?

Other than that, this applies to your Forester:
http://www.cars101.com/towing.html#t...0a%20motorhome

Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 AM

224 posts, read 456,515 times
Ray, if they hooked the front the center diff would allow the rear tires to roll, unless the ebrake was on.

OP, if it was only moved a mile in traffic, your center diff is fine. If they towed it on the highway 30 miles w/ the rear tires on the ground I'd be worried.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:01 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Have you called the city to find the records related to your tow?

Have you consulted your owners manual about towing the car?

You should get these questions answered before you continue this thread.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:43 PM

998 posts, read 1,236,978 times
YES ... http://www.subaru.com/owners/resourc...ls/search.html

go to section 9 - 13.

Your Forester should only be flat bedded ... or for short distances it can be towed with all four wheels on the ground. It should never be towed on the rear wheels with the front wheels in the air, or on the front wheels with the rear wheels in the air. Many Subaru owners have stickers on their windshield (front and back) that says damage will result if not towed properly, and you (the towing company) will be responsible for damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru