Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1971 View Post
I have decided that I want a '16 Forester. Problem: the dealership where I have been looking called my work and the switchboard operator paged me stating I had a call from Subaru on line 2. Then several of my coworkers asked about it and I said I was looking at Foresters.

All of a sudden people I work with, including some I barely knew were advising me not to buy a Subaru because people would think I am gay. I am a single female, not in a relationship at this time.

I guess I missed this memo but several people referred to Subarus as "Lesbarus" or asked, "Why do you think they are called Lesbaru??

Some even mentioned that if I meet a guy and he finds out I drive a Subaru he won't be interested.

Subarus are not common in the state where I live, in fact I will have to order one.

Is it really uncommon for a heterosexual singe female to drive a Subaru?
Either that is a joke, or it is stupid.

That Subaru is a lesbian car has a little truth to it, but is mostly a popular joke.

Either way, don't give this kind of "advice" any weight in your purchase decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
I just purchased my 2016 quartz blue Forester today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Either that is a joke, or it is stupid.

That Subaru is a lesbian car has a little truth to it, but is mostly a popular joke.

Either way, don't give this kind of "advice" any weight in your purchase decision.
Once again a person posts based on the first post and fails to read what has been going on.

The OP made her purchase yesterday. End of story. Then you tell her...

Old 09-08-2015, 07:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
I think you work with some very peculiar people.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Hah in Colorado many would question your manhood if you did NOT own a Subaru. Owning one here means you like to go in the mountains and ski, hike, basically anything outdoors. At least that's the message it conveys here
That's funny... when I bought my first Forester, one of my employees was looking at it through the window for quite some time, admiring it. Finally she shook her head and said, "That car just doesn't look right without a canoe on top or a bike rack on the back."

Old 09-08-2015, 11:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
We live in the liberal mid-Atlantic. A couple years ago a recently widowed friend asked if we'd ever heard this stereotype, because Subaru was one of the cars she was considering.

We'd never heard it before, but a quick Google search confirmed that it's a very widespread idea. Just Google Subaru lesbian car and see.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Good luck with the new car Jen, get yourself a kayak and a bicycle to go with it and spend next summer car camping in the National Parks

Old 09-09-2015, 11:06 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
We live in the liberal mid-Atlantic. A couple years ago a recently widowed friend asked if we'd ever heard this stereotype, because Subaru was one of the cars she was considering.

We'd never heard it before, but a quick Google search confirmed that it's a very widespread idea. Just Google Subaru lesbian car and see.
An idea believed and spread by ignorant, bigoted, narrow-minded people.

IMHO.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
It's hard to believe this trope is still around and is seen as a negative by your co-workers.

Certainly, Subaru did pursue the gay market many years ago as part of its strategy to appeal to niche markets as it couldn't compete with the big boys as a relatively small automaker. Subaru marketed to the gay community well before many other major corporations did so (hence having product placement in the long-gone Showtime series about lesbians in LA, 'The L Word,' and using Martina Navratilova in ads) and was known for being a good place to work for LGBT people.

Gay-Friendly Cars: Is Subaru Number One? - CBS News

http://www.awpagesociety.com/images/...Case_Study.pdf

But this was just one of the niche markets they were going after, like cyclists and others leading an active lifestyle. These days Subaru's no longer as much of a niche vehicle and is just one of many companies that market to the gay, as well as other, communities.

Enjoy your Forester. I'm on my second Subie and will probably buy a third.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Must depend on where you live. Around here there are more Subarus than you could count, but this is a mountainous, outdoorsy region. I've never heard of the issue the OP is talking about.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:41 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
I appreciate that, and I truly felt silly even asking such a question. But I can't even describe how adamant the people were about this subject. Employees from other departments were parading in my office to state this information once word spread throughout the company. Everyone had such a strong opinion on the subject.

And I am not one who follows fashions or trends or cares what small-minded people think. But sheesh, it is like the only topic of conversation at our company now.
Geez.

I hope the type of work you do isn't critical, bc they sound like a really immature bunch of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru