Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 03:08 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times

Advertisements

An STI is not about comfort. No pain no gain heh.

Do you get hand controls installed for the throttle and brake so you don't have to move your right leg either? The two pedals on the right require much more motion than the clutch on the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 03:51 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I've never heard of a Subaru that doesn't have a Boxer engine.

A Subaru without a Boxer engine is like a five-legged dog, it's just wrong.

When I read that I thought it had to be a mistake surely Subaru wouldn't use someone else's engine.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
I've never heard of a Subaru that doesn't have a Boxer engine.

A Subaru without a Boxer engine is like a five-legged dog, it's just wrong.
Lol, don't give them any ideas with the current lineup of Subaru commercials with dogs.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:53 PM

Yeah, they do flirt with 2wd on occasion like the SVX and now BR-Z. But it would be quite odd for them to have anything but a boxer layout.

Preferably with unequal length headers for that classic subaru rumble.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
An STI is not about comfort. No pain no gain heh.

Do you get hand controls installed for the throttle and brake so you don't have to move your right leg either? The two pedals on the right require much more motion than the clutch on the left.
Say what you will but manual clutches are old school and so 20th century.

Give me paddle shifters and we're good.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:27 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
After having a manual 07 WRX, I think a really nice dual clutch auto would be ideal. That manual was not bad, but it was so easy to stall the thing unless you gave it a healthy dose of clutch slip when leaving a dead stop... which of course is not the best thing for the clutch.

WRX has come a long way, but honestly, I am not enamored with the new ones. They have softened, and polished them a lot since the 07 I had, and they just do not have the same sporty feel through the steering and chassis. In class they are still excellent, but like every sports car it seems, they are isolating you more and more from the pure experience.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Say what you will but manual clutches are old school and so 20th century.

Give me paddle shifters and we're good.
Yeah they're almost on par with manuals now...but that CVT in the WRX costs you an extra $3500 while bumping the 0-60 to 5.8s.

That's a lot of extra dough to just be almost as good. Bumps it into a different class of competition too. A base manual is good competition for ~$25k cars. You have to step up to premium + $1200 for CVT which has you competing with ~$30k cars.

Last edited by notnamed; 02-17-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 09:44 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My wife & I were interested in the Tribeca it but I read some where that it was using a Ford engine in some year models. Not sure how true this is, if so we would pass because we love the boxer engine in our Forester too much. Can't find where I read that now..
The 3.0 in the Tribeca which evolved into the 3.6 in the 2nd gen Tribeca and now available in the current Outback is most assuredly a wholly Subaru designed and developed boxer engine. The 3.0 is a little lackluster on the torque side and is certainly not the most efficient engine out there but does the trick- I'm sure the extra torque in the 3.6 is most welcome but even that engine is a little down on power and torque compared to the competition these days.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:41 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The 3.0 in the Tribeca which evolved into the 3.6 in the 2nd gen Tribeca and now available in the current Outback is most assuredly a wholly Subaru designed and developed boxer engine. The 3.0 is a little lackluster on the torque side and is certainly not the most efficient engine out there but does the trick- I'm sure the extra torque in the 3.6 is most welcome but even that engine is a little down on power and torque compared to the competition these days.

Glad that you replied. How do you like it overall? It's bigger then the Forester & we can tow a tear drop with easy. 3500 VS 1500 towing rating. My wife & I LOVE the huge sunroof in the Forester & none of the other models, offer the huge sunroof. Does the Tribeca get the monster sunroof? If not then my wife won't even bother with it. We looked at the Cross trek but once we saw the tiny sunroof we stopped looking at it. Would like to know what you think about the Tribeca. The 3.6 seems to be your pick of engines.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:33 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24
After having a manual 07 WRX, I think a really nice dual clutch auto would be ideal. That manual was not bad, but it was so easy to stall the thing unless you gave it a healthy dose of clutch slip when leaving a dead stop... which of course is not the best thing for the clutch.

WRX has come a long way, but honestly, I am not enamored with the new ones. They have softened, and polished them a lot since the 07 I had, and they just do not have the same sporty feel through the steering and chassis. In class they are still excellent, but like every sports car it seems, they are isolating you more and more from the pure experience.
for the first part, granted Ive got an 03 WRX in manual, but Ive found it to be one of the easiest gas vehicles Ive driven with a manual. On flat ground, just let clutch out and it goes.

As for the new ones, overall I like them ok. The frontend is one of the best Subaru has done, but they made the backend very bland and boring. However, from everything Ive read, it's THE best driving experience in stock form of any WRX Subaru has made stateside, and also one of the best manual trannies they've put in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru