Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2017, 07:57 AM

251 posts, read 229,553 times

Advertisements

Hi All!!

I am just about to get a 2018 forester. It will be my first Subaru... I am going back to the dealer this weekend to try to finalize ( I hope ) the deal. I am still leaning towards leasing just one more time mainly because this forester is a 6 speed manual and if it would be hard to sell if I bought it at least I can turn it in and walk away and get another car. I also am somewhat sticker shocked and will have a 360 payment if I buy vs the 272 a month if I lease.

I want to try the manual transmission, its 1300 less than a automatic and since retiring I dont drive alot.

I have a few questions hoping you dont feel I am being nosey?

how do you like your forester

reliability?

did you lease or buy?

I am curious what you paid and what your payments are.....

if you leased, did you put any money down? and what is your monthly payment?

if you bought it, what did you wind up paying for your forester?

do you have "dealer fees" where you live?? we do here and there hefty!! 799!! all that is profit and extra profit.. These dealers here will not budge on it none of them.. ( Florida) do other states have these dealer fees??

lastly, any advice to get the best deal possible?
Attached Thumbnails
forester owners  hope you read this-screenshot-fff2017-11-23-9.58.42-am.png  

Last edited by mdc1022; 11-23-2017 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 08:01 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,896,254 times
We bought our 2017 Forester late last year. We are Consumer Reports subscribers and used their version of TrueCar to price the car we wanted at the price we wanted to pay. Several local dealers responses by email. We picked the best offer, went to the dealer, put a deposit and picked up the car a few days later with exactly the options we wanted at the agreed on price. The onl6 surprise were the floor mats and cargo net they threw in at no cost. This is the only way we buy cars.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:20 AM

23,019 posts, read 18,357,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
Hi All!!

I am just about to get a 2018 forester. It will be my first Subaru...

I want to try the manual transmission, its 1300 less than a automatic and since retiring I dont drive alot.

I have a few questions hoping you dont feel I am being nosey?

reliability?
I bought my first Subaru (1999 Forester) new and its still my only car, so about 17 years old. It's spent its life in the rain, mud, and snow of AK if that tells you anything. 5 speed manual (yes, with a stick shift). Didn't haggle too much as I knew what I wanted and bought what was available. The car is reputable and in demand so no one is going to give it away. At the time in 1999, there were only two colors on the lot...red and red. I chose red. Traded in a Isuzu Trooper with a failing internal engine oil seal for it.

The only maintenance issues I've had with this car so far (other than routine stuff) has been replacing rear wheel bearings and trouble when the power window lifters freeze solid. I wish they still made manual crank windows. The head gaskets were known to fail once in those years but mine has 110,000 miles on the original. Original clutch. The key remote failed long enough ago that you can't get batteries for it now. The carpet has holes in it from too many years of shoe ice cleats. Runs just fine, fantastic snow and ice car, no fancy dash gadgetry to break, just a solid dependable driver especially with new Nokian winter tires on it. Around here people call them metal mountain goats. The local delivery and taxi services all use them. All that being said, if you don't drive in snow, ice, or a lot of rain you won't appreciate the AWD much and your mileage will be a bit better in a 2WD vehicle.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-28-2017 at 02:39 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 04:19 AM

628 posts, read 828,315 times
My son bought a 2017 Forester last month he paid 24,900 for the premium with CVT and its well equipped with many optional features offered with the premium trim the dealer had no dealer fees but there are some other dealers in the area with the dealer fees the best advice to find a great deal is to search on the internet for the best price for a vehicle with the options you want he used TrueCar for his vehicle when he was searching for it however his was a demo vehicle so he saved a bit of money as they were selling it for a 2018 demo vehicle

Old 11-28-2017, 07:45 AM

13,654 posts, read 12,310,989 times
The manual will actually be easier to sell secondhand.

Sounds backwards, but they make few of them so people look for them.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:15 PM

251 posts, read 229,553 times
today I did get the forester we picked the Venetian Red Pearl 6 speed manual we feel we did well as we traded in our charger and we got the subaru for 21,150 and they paid off the charger in full with no roll over of any negative equity ( or so they show it on paper) I put 0 money out of my pocket all start ups and first payment was made by the dealer ( we leased ) They also gave us the fidelity new car service plan as no charge, that should cover all maintenance for the term of the lease. I really cant complain, we got the subaru for very close to the payment as the charger and we didn't put any money out of pocket. The dealer said it was below cost which looks like is $21,547. We leased because being retired I need to watch the budget and prefer to start over in 3 years especially with the manual transmission model, If we dont get what we want for it when in 3 years we will just turn it in. the payment is significantly less leasing so for now we are ok with it besides, this is our first subaru.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,723,084 times
Enjoy the new ride! My parents have been very happy with their Forrester.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:49 AM

23,581 posts, read 13,786,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
......I have a few questions hoping you dont feel I am being nosey?

LOVE IT! 2002, 150+ K miles, and still going strong! Getting 25 mpg on the highway, just as when I bought it!

Quote:
reliability?
Top of the mark!

Now, I will say that I have done major repairs over the years to keep it that way such as a valve replacement around 100K that ran close to a grand, and two wheel bearings.

Quote:
did you lease or buy?
Buy.

Quote:
I am curious what you paid and what your payments are.....
As I recall, for it was over 10 years ago when it was paid off, $3K put down, $800 in the trade in, a 10 grand balloon payment, and I think $200-$300 for 47 months. Base cost of the car was around $20K before accessories.

Quote:
do you have "dealer fees" where you live?? .........
I don't recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru