Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 04:26 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,490,803 times

Advertisements

Within the past 2 years we have spent $2500 on our 2002. Struts were expensive and we do bring in the car for oil change and such. The struts were done over a year ago and the past 12 months have been super cheap, just oil and such and no expenses. 60,000 original miles, we bought it new. Did the timing belt, water pump, etc. about 5 years ago. Keeping the car, just love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:32 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,832,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Within the past 2 years we have spent $2500 on our 2002. Struts were expensive and we do bring in the car for oil change and such. The struts were done over a year ago and the past 12 months have been super cheap, just oil and such and no expenses. 60,000 original miles, we bought it new. Did the timing belt, water pump, etc. about 5 years ago. Keeping the car, just love it.
How much were the strut replacement- did you do both front and back and were other suspension elements; bushings, rods etc.. also inspected/replaced if found to be worn or failing?

I have an ‘02 WRX with similarly ultra-low miles. I have also replaced all belts, water pump and filters and think that the suspension system needs to be attended to for the next 70k miles. Other than a few squeaks and rattles that I hope will be reduced with some suspension work it runs great and no problems!

I haven’t even replaced one light bulb in the car in almost 18 years though I know I should replace the dimmed halogen headlights by now.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:41 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,954,390 times
what's the mileage on that bugeye? My struts on my 03 WRX didnt start going out til around 140k miles. At that time, I did that, did both axles(one side had a torn boot, but figured might as well go ahead and do both), new inner/outer tie rods, ball joints. I also did front and rear strut mount for adjustability, as I was doing with a more aggressive handling setup, but you'd be ok without that, unless they were in need of replacing, which they probably arent. Also, doing the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings would make a world of difference and it's not that expensive.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:25 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,490,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
How much were the strut replacement- did you do both front and back and were other suspension elements; bushings, rods etc.. also inspected/replaced if found to be worn or failing?

I have an ‘02 WRX with similarly ultra-low miles. I have also replaced all belts, water pump and filters and think that the suspension system needs to be attended to for the next 70k miles. Other than a few squeaks and rattles that I hope will be reduced with some suspension work it runs great and no problems!

I haven’t even replaced one light bulb in the car in almost 18 years though I know I should replace the dimmed halogen headlights by now.

Sorry for the delay.
Please know that I am completely uneducated about the mechanics but will list for you the things done, per my bills (my husband knows more but I have not asked him to look at this question here):

At dealer (expensive, I know): date November '15
Converter CP F $1,106

At local (good) mechanic:

Strut assembly left $240, Right $240 (does not say front or rear)

Strut Assembly remove and replace, both (labor) $243

Wheel alignment $94

All above dated 8/16

Radiator (I have NO idea why it was replaced! Didn't ask, like a fool) $195
Fuel injection service $153
Control Arm/suspension Control arm $223
Ditto again $223
Ball joint $ 90
Control Arm Bushing $112
Ditto $112
Labor Control arm $252

All above dated 11/16

Alignment camber adjusting
Eccentric (rear)
Lateral Arm bolt
Stabilizer Bar link assembly $171
Lateral link (2x)
$148 each (2)

Labor for Lateral link assembly and stabilizer bar assembly $300
Wheel alignment $94

Dated 1/2017

Various things including:

Electronic ignition (Minor) tune $199

Dated 9/2017

I have left out a lot of smaller items such as "ignition wiers (?sp) set" etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru