Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM

345 posts, read 1,639,262 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: rude
Actually, doctors are quite knowledgeable about the value (or lack thereof) of supplements. They just do not have the time to sit with a patient and try to convince him that taking a "supplement" will not undo the damage of super-sized meals, tobacco, and too much alcohol. And once the health care "reform" package goes into effect, you may see an actual physician once in your life. There aren't going to be enough of them to see all of the newly insured patients. You will see a nurse or a physician's assistant instead.[/quote]

haha, I knew that was coming. I know exactly what the chemicals in cigar tobacco do, good and bad. I, like most others, continue on with my life and do the things I like to do. The only difference is that I have learned how to clear poisons from the body BEFORE they have a chance to do any harm using minerals, herbs and vitamins. I also work out a lot.

I have been smoking cigars and drinking for 30 years and at 50 have NEVER been even close to having any health problems other than broken bones, gunshot wounds, and slight male pattern baldness

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-08-2010 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM

37,030 posts, read 41,087,048 times
[quote=Rhino127;14950292]haha, I knew that was coming. I know exactly what the chemicals in cigar tobacco do, good and bad. I, like most others, continue on with my life and do the things I like to do. The only difference is that I have learned how to clear poisons from the body BEFORE they have a chance to do any harm using minerals, herbs and vitamins. I also work out a lot.

I have been smoking cigars and drinking for 30 years and at 50 have NEVER been even close to having any health problems other than broken bones, gunshot wounds, and slight male pattern baldness[/quote

The cigars may still getcha!

Gunshot wounds? There has to be a story there!

As for the hair: Rogaine!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Before the Internet medical professionals hated when the patient went to the library to research the illness that the doctor told them they had.

I guess back then doctors hated the library.

Doctors' knowledge is frightfully limited, especially when it comes to the chemistry of supplemental medications.
Actually, doctors are quite knowledgeable about the value (or lack thereof) of supplements. They just do not have the time to sit with a patient and try to convince him that taking a "supplement" will not undo the damage of super-sized meals, tobacco, and too much alcohol. And once the health care "reform" package goes into effect, you may see an actual physician once in your life. There aren't going to be enough of them to see all of the newly insured patients. You will see a nurse or a physician's assistant instead.[/quote]

Actually, I didn't at all consider that remark about me smoking cigars "rude". It is a fact that I smoke cigars and Suzi made a valid point.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:25 PM

[quote=suzy_q2010;14950487]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
haha, I knew that was coming. I know exactly what the chemicals in cigar tobacco do, good and bad. I, like most others, continue on with my life and do the things I like to do. The only difference is that I have learned how to clear poisons from the body BEFORE they have a chance to do any harm using minerals, herbs and vitamins. I also work out a lot.

I have been smoking cigars and drinking for 30 years and at 50 have NEVER been even close to having any health problems other than broken bones, gunshot wounds, and slight male pattern baldness[/quote

The cigars may still getcha!

Gunshot wounds? There has to be a story there!

As for the hair: Rogaine!
There is more danger here on Citydata than cigar smoking repercussions

Rogaine blocks testosterone. I happen to like my manly attributes.

and the gunshot wounds............. another thread.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, doctors are quite knowledgeable about the value (or lack thereof) of supplements. They just do not have the time to sit with a patient and try to convince him that taking a "supplement" will not undo the damage of super-sized meals, tobacco, and too much alcohol. And once the health care "reform" package goes into effect, you may see an actual physician once in your life. There aren't going to be enough of them to see all of the newly insured patients. You will see a nurse or a physician's assistant instead.

Actually, I didn't at all consider that remark about me smoking cigars "rude". It is a fact that I smoke cigars and Suzi made a valid point.
[/quote]

I'm puzzled, too, rhino.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
"if you eat well you don't need to take vitamins" Really ??

What about when we are forced to smoke someone else's cigarette through second hand smoke?

What about the poisons in our drinking water?

What about the benzene we are exposed to when we pump gas.

What about the formaldehyde that emanates from the cheap garbage furniture everyone is buying these days?

What about the BPAs that people drink every day along with their bottled water?

What about the neurotoxins like MSG, Fluoride and Aspartame that people think are good but are actually killers.

What about doctors passing out drugs like candy that cause multiple side effects that are worse than the symptoms they are initially attempting to cover up.

In these times of toxins and poisons in our food, water and air YES we DO need supplements to combat these killers.

The problem that I have is that the supplement manufacturers do not have to prove that their products actually do anything helpful; they just have to be safe, that is, do no harm.

With vitamins, whatever water soluble vitamins your body does not use are washed out. Take megadoses of vitamin C and all you do is make very expensive urine. Too much fat soluble vitamins, like vitamin A, and you can get toxicity from the vitamin itself, since the excess is stored, not eliminated.

The only people that should not take aspartame are those who have a condition called phenylketonuria, because they cannot metabolize it --- and there is a warning on the bottle. The amount of flouride in water is not dangerous; the biggest effect of flouridated water has been to put some dentists out of business.

As far as things like cigarette smoke, benzene, and formaldehyde are concerned, obviously we'd like to avoid them as much as we can, but the supplement manufacturers need to back up their claims that there products might help with any adverse effects from those substances.

As you are aware , I am anti-tobacco. Have been since I had to live with two parents who were smokers. Never have put a cigarette between my lips. Avoid second hand smoke like I would a rat covered in plague infected fleas. But I know of no supplement that would undo any damage from my past exposure to it.

I want clean air and water and support anything that can be done to make them as clean as possible.

As far as medication is concerned, yes they can have side effects. Only the patient and the physician can determine for each prescription whether the benefit outweighs the risks. My older son was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 13. He was treated with multiple drugs, any one of which could have killed him. He had to have his brain and spinal cord irradiated. Without the treatment, he would have died. He finished his treatment (that took four years of chemo), graduated from high school, got into his first choice college, graduated in four years, and now has a master's degree, a good job, and a three week old daughter. Without those drugs, he would have been dead before his fourteenth birthday.

Edited to add: aspartame is aspartic acid, an amino acid. You get more from meat than from artificial sweetener.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-08-2010 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: add comment about aspartame

Old 07-08-2010, 02:20 PM

[quote=Rhino127;14952638]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

There is more danger here on Citydata than cigar smoking repercussions

Rogaine blocks testosterone. I happen to like my manly attributes.

and the gunshot wounds............. another thread.

OK, forget the Rogaine. Lotsa sexy bald guys out there.

I see you are in DC. Are you with one of those alphabet agencies? Where's the GSW thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements