Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:54 PM

83 posts, read 733,818 times

Advertisements

I have read so much about the effectiveness of fish oil capsules in treating psoriasis, but I'm having a hard time finding any information on how much you should take to see results. Does anyone have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 06:52 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Probably need to attack it on two fronts.

First is to cut back on the Omega-6's as most people are way out of balance by consuming too many as they are pro inflammatory. They are in all baked goods i.e. Corn oils, Cotton seed oils, Saflowers oil etc..and also in grain products like Cereals, Breads, Cakes, Pies, Energy Bars and Oats/Oatmeal and also most Seeds and Nuts. Only the Evening Primrose is an anti inflammatory Omega-6.

Then consume the Omega-3's in Fish oils (Salmon and Krill), Flax oils and Walnuts.I think with Psoriasis i'd take 5 to 6 grams a day which is usually 2 or 3 soft gels with breakfast and again with supper should help tone down the inflammation.

Also the Herbs Curry/Tumeric, Boswellia and Ginger are very anti inflammatory.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:36 PM

Thank you Harry O. I was not familiar with Omega 6, but started doing some research on it, based on your recommendation. It sounds like good advice.
Besides for supplements, we try to increase our intake of Omega 3 through our diet. When eating salmon, does it really make much of a difference if you have farm-raised fish, versus wild?

Old 07-31-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALOVE View Post
When eating salmon, does it really make much of a difference if you have farm-raised fish, versus wild?
I always try to eat the wild kind...I like the ''Wild Alaskian Salmon'' in cans at the grocery store(s). Wild Salmon eat Plankton, Sea Algae, Krill, Invertebrates and Larval etc...which are all high in the omega-3's which in turn makes them so high in them. I beleive one serving of Salmon has 5 grams of the Omega-3's which is like taking 5 softgels......

If you study more of the Omega-6 fatty acids you'll see that they are needed for our health but since most consume SO much of them our ratios are like 20 to 1 over Omega-3 when it should be 2 to 1 or even 1 to 1 ratios. If you follow the Omega-6 pathways in the body they eventually get converted to Arachidonic Acids which are very pro inflammatory.....

Anyway hope that makes some sense to ya. A great read is ''Fats that Heal/Fats that Kill'' by Udo Erasmus which does a great job in explaing how Fatty Acids work in the human body.....

Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,204 times
Selenium..... E..... A......

Fish oil, unless it is pharmaceutical grade, contains mercury, and lots of it.

You can get Omega 3 from Flaxseed.

Selenium IS the cure for psoriasis. If you grind up a tablet and mix it with water and apply the paste to the affected area it will clear up within days.

you should also take it internally with A and E.

The last thing I would introduce is mercury as it competes with selenium for absorption

Try it . it works.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I have heard also that zinc can help with psoriasis.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I have heard also that zinc can help with psoriasis.
YES........................YES...................Y ES

ZINC

YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot zinc

too early in the morning, must go back to bed

good thing your around lilypad............reps for you

Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 AM

Just check the label for ''molecularly distilled'' as this takes out 99.9% of any mercury. We all have traces of mercury in us anyhow do to coal power plant emissions which inhabits the entire earth at trace levels but again check the lables on any fish oil products.

As for Flax as an omega-3 yes its a good source too for those concerned but it still has to be elongated from 18 carbon to 20 and 22 carbon to get DHA and EPA and while we all have this desaturase enzyme in us to elongate them not all persons do a good job at converting these so experiment with both and check labels and you'll be fine.

I take 10 grams of fish oil (Now Products) daily for about 10 years now and have absolutely no mercury toxicity symptoms of any kind. Including my fillings in my teeth.....

Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Dennis, do you have psoriasis and tried the selenium yourself? That's a remedy I never heard before, but will have my husband try it - he's the one with the psoriasis. He gets a little nervous when I bring him remedies I found on the internet - but that sounds pretty safe. And if he's leery about it, he can always try it on a small patch first. How much A, E and zinc should you take?

I will definitely check the label on the fish oil supplements - good tip, Harry O. And thank you for the information on the book. That sounds like a good read for all of us...

Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Selenium has long been a treatment for psoriasis. Remember the comercials for Selsun Blue Shampoo "helps treat Excema, seboria and psoriasis".

The ingredient in Selsun Blue shampoo that is active is Selenium, hence "selsun"

E..........1000 IU in the AM and 1000 with dinner
A..........25000 IU BETA CAROTENE or FOOD CAROTENE not the cheap stuff
AM and PM
ZINC......50 mg with food always, twice a day
SELINIUM.....100 Mcg AM.......100 Mcg with dinner Also a paste of a ground tablet and purified water, rub on the area and leave. (it smells awful)

Do not apply Vit E oil on the effected area as in will attracted allergens and irritants.

These treatments may take months to see results but they do work.

There are no side effects with the amounts above. Itchy, dry peely and inflamed skin is not fun, getting better is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements