Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

I take MSM, and it does help me. It reduces inflammation in the body, but one must take it every day and over long term to notice results. It is not a miracle cure, what it does is makes everything in your body work better, and as I said, helps reduce inflammation. It is good for both humans and animals, the veterinarians recommend its use for my pets, also.

I buy the bulk power and take it with my powdered Vitamin C, as they work together synergistically. There are no toxic effects, so no one has anything to lose by trying it. Like anything, it may help some and not others. If one wants to try it, it's best to start with small doses and work up to larger doses to find out how much to take for individual best results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATMAN1 View Post
Reporting in. Just finished first month of continuous MSM intake. Average 3.3 grams per day for the first month. I have terrible toe nail fungus. My son calls my nails "tales of the crypt" nails. After one month of taking MSM, there is clear nail grow on all my toes. Also, about three days after I started taking MSM for the knee, i broke my thumb. I had very little pain except if I made the mistake of actually trying to use the thumb to hold something, in which case, the pain was very intense. I don't think this was the placebo effect as someone suggested. I broke bones before and they throb, but this time the pain was very easy to deal with

Starting second month of MSM. Currently taking about 5-6 grams a day. No side effects now.
Good for you! Sulfur is one of the most anti-fungal minerals, and being essential to many enzyme reactions it does affect a lot of different tissues.

The reason I believe it works on pain is because sulfur is needed to repair the myelin sheath of our nerves so NO placebo effect there, just the body using raw material available to it to do what it knows to do.

I have taken it but not consistently, I think I was taking too many things at the same time anyway. BUT I've used it topically as it's great for the skin, I've dissolved it in body lotion (one I got from Whole Foods), the cream I use on my face and a NaPca spray I also use on my neck and face. Incidentally, not sure if directly related or not but not long ago I noticed that a pain I used to get on my shoulder and my left thumb had stopped bothering me, since that wasn't my intent I think it was the MSM absorbed through my skin that did the trick.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,770 times
Studies, studies,studies...Can't anyone think for themselves anymore without referring so some mainstream sponsored 'study'. Quackwatch, Quackwatch, Quackwatch...As the name implies, an organisation of deregulated quacks and mainstream sponsored stooges.

If you believe it works - take it! It's that simple. Ignore the bashers who have been institutionalised by the system.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
Forgive my omission, Patton.
I took MSM for joint pain but felt no better while using it. I experienced no lightheaded feelings. However, I have amazing benefits with glucosamine.
Everyone seems to be unique as far as side effects go. Sulphur is naturally found in the body and in food so side effects should be rare unless too much is consumed.
Personally, I prefer alpha lipoic acid, which is a form of sulphur and has the advantage of many proven health benefits.
I agree about glucosamine. The GNC brand of Glucosamine 750 Chondrotion 600 works.........very well and I feel so good. I have Oesteoarthritis and I feel like I did when I didn't have it. No pain and flexible joints.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Has anyone tried this supplement? If so, how did you feel after taking it for a few days?
This post caused me to do a little googling and what I learned, I liked. It looked like it could be a help in several problems that I have so I got a bottle.

My main problems are chronic constipation, toenail fungus, and arthritis in my fingers. I had a ganglion cyst in one of my fingers that kept filling up with fluid and then I needed to drain it like a blister or it would get too big and tight and would hurt. I did this 1x/week for several weeks and then had it removed by a plastic surgeon the other day but the darn thing almost made a liar out of me--it took over 2 weeks this time and wasn't as full and tight as before. I had been taking MSM during that couple of weeks but I still elected to have it removed. Otherwise, can't tell much diff in the arthritis as it hasn't really been causing me pain lately. BTW, ganglion cysts accompany arthritis and hopefully this will prevent it from coming back--always a risk you take when you have one of these things removed.

It will take time to see if it will help the toenail fungus but I will mention that I have tried just about everything and I have been consistent with those things, like teatree oil and ketoconazole cream and piggy paste. I'll update on that later and I'm still building up my dose--you are supposed to start at about 500-750 mg and up the dose each week till you get to about 4-5 grams a day. It is a form of bioavailable sulphur is my understanding.

The best part though is that my chronic constipation has resolved itself almost immediately. I have tried almost everything I could think of: more water, more fiber, more fruits and veggies, Mg citrate supplements, herbs, you name it I have tried it. And now things are. . . normal. Wow. I'm going to stay on it and see if the effect is permanent and whether it has any effect on the toenail.

My understanding is that it's not as much a cure-all as it is a nutrient that we're often missing or low on in our diets and just like getting more vitamin D is helping people with many symptoms, this will also help with many basic body processes.

Oh yeah, and this site seemed to have some good info about it: msm information

Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 PM

Stepka, I learned a few years ago by watching the show "Know The Cause" that by the time we develop tonail fungus it means we already have it inside, so it's good that you plan to keep up with MSM as it's antifungal. However, iit's probably not enough and you may need to take other measures (like a starch and sugar-free diet) because arthritis may also be related to that. Here's an article that might interest you: Fungal Arthritis « Dr. Jeffrey McCombs, DC

Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
This post caused me to do a little googling and what I learned, I liked. It looked like it could be a help in several problems that I have so I got a bottle.

My main problems are chronic constipation, toenail fungus, and arthritis in my fingers. I had a ganglion cyst in one of my fingers that kept filling up with fluid and then I needed to drain it like a blister or it would get too big and tight and would hurt. I did this 1x/week for several weeks and then had it removed by a plastic surgeon the other day but the darn thing almost made a liar out of me--it took over 2 weeks this time and wasn't as full and tight as before. I had been taking MSM during that couple of weeks but I still elected to have it removed. Otherwise, can't tell much diff in the arthritis as it hasn't really been causing me pain lately. BTW, ganglion cysts accompany arthritis and hopefully this will prevent it from coming back--always a risk you take when you have one of these things removed.

It will take time to see if it will help the toenail fungus but I will mention that I have tried just about everything and I have been consistent with those things, like teatree oil and ketoconazole cream and piggy paste. I'll update on that later and I'm still building up my dose--you are supposed to start at about 500-750 mg and up the dose each week till you get to about 4-5 grams a day. It is a form of bioavailable sulphur is my understanding.

The best part though is that my chronic constipation has resolved itself almost immediately. I have tried almost everything I could think of: more water, more fiber, more fruits and veggies, Mg citrate supplements, herbs, you name it I have tried it. And now things are. . . normal. Wow. I'm going to stay on it and see if the effect is permanent and whether it has any effect on the toenail.

My understanding is that it's not as much a cure-all as it is a nutrient that we're often missing or low on in our diets and just like getting more vitamin D is helping people with many symptoms, this will also help with many basic body processes.

Oh yeah, and this site seemed to have some good info about it: msm information
I cannot fathom this, but I believe I may have toenail fungus as well, in one big toe? Damned if I know where the heck that came from if it IS toenail fungus. I had been dosing it with Ionic Silver early on, but I don't think I stuck with if for long enough, I believe it's a long term thing to remedy? It's not a problem though, and as I said, I treated it several months ago and seemed to stop it in its tracks, now I think it may be on the comeback trail. I'll continue my treatment again for longer this time maybe and see how things pan out.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked as to how the heck I ended up with this?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:07 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, I read your post. And I asked you to clarify - has anyone taken it for what? If someone took it because they had a broken foot, what answer would you expect to see from them? If someone claimed to take it for Hodgekin's Lymphoma, and they didn't feel any better after a few days, would you be surprised?

It isn't likely you'll feel -anything in particular- after taking it a few days, because it serves no particular nutritional function and has an extremely low toxicity rate.
He's asking people that take it - so why are you even responding to this thread?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, I haven't taken it. Nor would I. It's a solvent, and there have been many claims by companies that manufacture and sell the stuff, that it can treat, or cure, anything from chronic pain to cancer, vaginal yeast infections. hair loss, depression, vision loss, joint inflammation, snoring, and a host of other diseases, disorders, and medical issues. There are no actual studies to support -any- medical claims. However, there were two studies that suggested it -might- be useful against osteoporosis, but the studies were unable to come to any conclusions about it.

There's no reason why anyone -would- take it, which is why I asked what you were expecting anyone to be taking it for.
Okay, you've made yourself clear. You wouldn't take it and don't think anybody else should either. Thanks for you input.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Okay, you've made yourself clear. You wouldn't take it and don't think anybody else should either. Thanks for you input.
I think some people post just to elevate their count, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements