Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,300,689 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used glucosamine chondrition with any success?

there's so many forms on the market, pills, drinks, etc, its confusing to know where to start. and since most claim to take 1-3 months to show any improvement, you make a significant investment (its not cheap), just to get started, not knowing if you're doing any real good.

I have severe arthritis in my lower spine, have had two spinal fusions, pain is coming back. doc says the fusions are ok, just the arthritis acting up. The can do another fusion, but I am not inclined to do so at this time. When a fusion is done, typically it transfers the presure further down the spine, so you wind up with pain in lower vetebra in a few years. Hey, at this rate, I could end up fusing my entire spine in a few years

Well,I thought I'd try some other remedies, so, anyone use the glucosamine chondrition and did it help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
I bought a bottle of pills when it first made a marketing splash. Didn't see any difference.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,911,597 times
I have really bad hips - arthritis issues were getting so bad and I was in my early 20's and not ready for a hip replacement so my Ortho doctor recommended Cosamin DS and it has worked so well. I didn't get the same results from the stuff I got from the health food store. It has helped so much that I was consistently running half marathons and full marathons with only minor pain. Best of all, it has been several years now and my doctor feels that I won't need a hip replacement for quite a while. I can't wait to start running again!

Old 06-19-2011, 06:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,628,186 times
The problem with chondroitin in the USA, is that there is no regulation as a pharmaceutical since it's considered a non-rx food supplement. It is supposed to be one of the safest alternative treatments for osteoarthritis on the market..

..assuming you can trust the manufacturer, who has no accountability at all. Chondroitin is processed from a variety of natural animal sources. There is no standard for this substance, one manufacturer can claim that there's 1000mg of pure shark chondroitin in each tablets, and it'd be nothing more than advertising, and you'd raise your hope and spend your money on what amounts to a horsepill of plain old calcium.

There was a thing on TV about this, I think it was either Discovery or Nat'l Geographic, about the quality standards of supplements. Chondroitin was one of the featured items and they were shocked to find some of these pills had no nutritional contents whatsoever and were -literally- sugar pills.

If you can find a reliable source (I wish I knew of one - might want to check with someone actually living in Europe since it -is- regulated there), it might be of help.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,300,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I have really bad hips - arthritis issues were getting so bad and I was in my early 20's and not ready for a hip replacement so my Ortho doctor recommended Cosamin DS and it has worked so well. I didn't get the same results from the stuff I got from the health food store. It has helped so much that I was consistently running half marathons and full marathons with only minor pain. Best of all, it has been several years now and my doctor feels that I won't need a hip replacement for quite a while. I can't wait to start running again!

Where do you get the brand you took?

Might try PetSmart, no kidding! the vet recommended it for our cat, he had such bad arthritis in his hind quarters he could barely walk. we got him a pet brand, seemed to help1

Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Where do you get the brand you took?

Might try PetSmart, no kidding! the vet recommended it for our cat, he had such bad arthritis in his hind quarters he could barely walk. we got him a pet brand, seemed to help1
I get mine on Amazon. I don't think you would like the liver flavor chewables at Petsmart plus they are overpriced!! I get the Cosequin DS for my senior dog also on Amazon. The Cosamin DS capsules are a bit gross - just to warn you, but I always drink mine with a flavored drink to make it a bit easier to swallow. They are manufactured in Canada so they have a lot stricter guidelines than we have here.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,979,635 times
I have taken it for about 10 years....off n on....my cousin turned me on to it....buy it in a bigbox type store...or pet food or farm supplies....get CHEAP....do not spring for that sold by 'celebrities"

It's well worth the investment.....it works....

And mine showed results in about 2 weeks....it isnt that you'll notice that you feel better....you will suddenly notice that you've stopped hurting

Old 06-25-2011, 01:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,239,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Thanks for the brand tip. I wanted to try it and went to Costco -- too many concoctions to pick from! I'll take your doctor's advice.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Thanks for the brand tip. I wanted to try it and went to Costco -- too many concoctions to pick from! I'll take your doctor's advice.
That is the problem...it is so overwhelming with the brands. But, I have seen results and my senior dog that was really slowing down due to arthritis has proven that it works too. She moves like she did when she was a puppy - just looks a lot older!

Good Luck! I hope you get the same results that I have. My experience has been saving money on that supplement only delays the positive results.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,086,857 times
I've tried it - a couple of different reputable brands - made no difference to me.

However I did have a dog with elbow dysplasia, and glucosamine/chrondritin was one of several things I tried for him...he was a performance dog so I did everything I could, from different supplements to swimming to physical therapy so I never knew precisely what was working, I just kept doing all of it!

However, the few times I ran out, I definitely noticed him getting a bit stiffer in his movements, and the orthopedic vets he saw all endorsed glucosamine/chrodritin. I've also given it to other senior/arthritic dogs.

I'm very aware of the placebo effect (both experienced and observed) but between my own observations and pretty overwhelming anecdotal evidence, it may well work and won't hurt. I also recommend using a good brand....I used a liquid formula for both race horses and dogs from the farm store, or syn-flex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements