Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times

Advertisements

I hate to admit this, but the only thing that works for me is the liquid Ny-Quil. I take a swig of it about 30 minutes before bed and I'm able to sleep. Melatonin doesn't work for me, neither does Valerian (and it STINKS), and Lunesta doesn't work either; in fact Lunesta just makes it worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:08 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,291 times
The sleep-inducing ingredient in Nyquil is doxylamine succinate. You might be able to find it by itself and avoid the other unnecessary ingredients.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM

574 posts, read 1,064,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
The sleep-inducing ingredient in Nyquil is doxylamine succinate. You might be able to find it by itself and avoid the other unnecessary ingredients.
Same as Sominex or other sleep aids over the counter.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
wow,I take Ativan 1 mg at night and have also taken Benadryl with it. Works like a charm! Also menopausal.....
I don't know if your Dr. told you this, but Ativan is suppose to be more addicting than Ambien but for me, the Ativan/Benadryl combo works best for me...even better than two Ambien. Just wish I could fall asleep and stay asleep. That is my problem.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Same as Sominex or other sleep aids over the counter.
Good to know; NyQuil is probably cheaper though. I'll look for it. Thanks for the tip (both of you)!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,499 times
Quote:
I don't know if your Dr. told you this, but Ativan is suppose to be more addicting than Ambien but for me, the Ativan/Benadryl combo works best for me...even better than two Ambien. Just wish I could fall asleep and stay asleep. That is my problem.
I know Ativan is addicting,but at 1 mg(will not go up)I doubt its that addictive,and easy enough to wean off,if thats possible. My Dr. said she
wasnt sure how one would wean off 1 mg of Lorazepam, Ambien does not keep me asleep,I get 4 hrs max our of Ambien. So the Ativan is it for me now,as NO sleep is NOT an option for me. The benadryl is overkill and I dont use it very often. Thanks for your concern,but as you well know,us meno ladies need to do whatever it takes. PS,I have been on higher doses of Ativan last yr,and just went right down to 1 mg,no probs. This is while I was on Paxil also,which I am now off of also. Oh, I also have Tinnitus,which makes it extemely hard to fall asleep without the aid of something. :/

Greenchili

Last edited by Greenchili; 09-22-2011 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 09-22-2011, 08:08 PM

Acetametaphine mixed with doxylamine succinate make me very tired and jumpy at the same time. Kind of makes my legs move uncontrollably. These are the ingredients in many cough and cold meds. Acetametaphine is in Sudafed which acts like a stimulant. Doxylamine is in Benadryl makes you sleepy. Mix the two together and you have a twitchy mess.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I know Ativan is addicting,but at 1 mg(will not go up)I doubt its that addictive,and easy enough to wean off,if thats possible. My Dr. said she
wasnt sure how one would wean off 1 mg of Lorazepam, Ambien does not keep me asleep,I get 4 hrs max our of Ambien. So the Ativan is it for me now,as NO sleep is NOT an option for me. The benadryl is overkill and I dont use it very often. Thanks for your concern,but as you well know,us meno ladies need to do whatever it takes. PS,I have been on higher doses of Ativan last yr,and just went right down to 1 mg,no probs. This is while I was on Paxil also,which I am now off of also. Oh, I also have Tinnitus,which makes it extemely hard to fall asleep without the aid of something. :/

Greenchili
My Dad has this sound in his head that happens when he tries to fall asleep so now he has to take Ambien to stay asleep for at least five hours. I think it might be the same thing you have but it only happens when he lays down.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,499 times
Quote:
My Dad has this sound in his head that happens when he tries to fall asleep so now he has to take Ambien to stay asleep for at least five hours. I think it might be the same thing you have but it only happens when he lays down.
Hmmm,well I have tinnitus which is a constant ringing in my ears,its just more noticeable at night. Also,have some zapping type noises,which happen just as Im drifting off ,, (which I also experience a bit during the day) So,I basicallly need something to get me to sleep and then If I wake up in the middle of the night,Im able to get back to sleep and the noises arent that bothersome,its just the beginning of the night The zaps could just be my brain reajusting to being off Paxil,but holy cow,how long can that last? Its been since the middle of Aug. that Ive been off it. I havent tried Ambien for quite some time,might try it again here and see if it works better for me now. Thanks!

Greenchili

Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Hmmm,well I have tinnitus which is a constant ringing in my ears,its just more noticeable at night. Also,have some zapping type noises,which happen just as Im drifting off ,, (which I also experience a bit during the day) So,I basicallly need something to get me to sleep and then If I wake up in the middle of the night,Im able to get back to sleep and the noises arent that bothersome,its just the beginning of the night The zaps could just be my brain reajusting to being off Paxil,but holy cow,how long can that last? Its been since the middle of Aug. that Ive been off it. I havent tried Ambien for quite some time,might try it again here and see if it works better for me now. Thanks!

Greenchili
Yep, sounds just like my Dad except he is 91. He is hard of hearing in one ear and deaf in the other. He had to get a stronger dose so he could sleep longer than just 5 hours. Don't think he's too concerned about addiction at this age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements