Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 03:47 PM

309 posts, read 367,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
Be careful! This only applies to water soluble vitamins (like vitamin C). Fat soluble vitamins like vitamin D will be stored in fat cells when there are excess amounts present within your body. It's definitely important to understand the difference between the 2 types.
This needs to be repeated. Fat-soluble vitamins (A, D and E) will build up in your system, and could become toxic. If you're taking high doses, have your blood levels for Vit D checked in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 03:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
took the quiz very incomplete. you missed the fact that D deficiency is a major cause of hypertension and that vit D is the only one that you cant fix with pills
you must expose the face 20 minutes a day min. the body produces it you cant ingest it or very little of it.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
took the quiz very incomplete. you missed the fact that D deficiency is a major cause of hypertension and that vit D is the only one that you cant fix with pills
you must expose the face 20 minutes a day min. the body produces it you cant ingest it or very little of it.
That is not true. Sunlight is not the only source of vitamin D for humans. Supplements are available. Think about it - if what you said was true, every single albino in the world would have hypertension due to lack of exposure to the sun. Since not every single albino suffers from vitamin D deficiency, your statement must be false.

In addition, a severe vitamin D deficiency can cause rickets. Lots of people avoid the sun, or live in climates where they just don't get a lot of regular exposure on a daily or weekly basis. Think of people living in Alaska, where the only time they get warm enough weather to expose themselves to the sun, it lasts only a couple of months. And then it's winter again and they have to cover up when they leave their houses.

You most certainly can ingest vitamin D, in certain fish such as salmon and mackerel, cod liver oil, canned tuna, cheese, eggs - and in the USA, homogenized pasteurized milk is fortified with vitamin D.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That is not true. Sunlight is not the only source of vitamin D for humans. Supplements are available. Think about it - if what you said was true, every single albino in the world would have hypertension due to lack of exposure to the sun. Since not every single albino suffers from vitamin D deficiency, your statement must be false.

In addition, a severe vitamin D deficiency can cause rickets. Lots of people avoid the sun, or live in climates where they just don't get a lot of regular exposure on a daily or weekly basis. Think of people living in Alaska, where the only time they get warm enough weather to expose themselves to the sun, it lasts only a couple of months. And then it's winter again and they have to cover up when they leave their houses.

You most certainly can ingest vitamin D, in certain fish such as salmon and mackerel, cod liver oil, canned tuna, cheese, eggs - and in the USA, homogenized pasteurized milk is fortified with vitamin D.
sorry you are not correcting me you are corrected kaiser medical department and their written hand out material on vitamin d deficiency which i am supposed to follow. they were not treating an albino with rickets. they were treating me. i do not have rickets im not an albino. i can only get a portion of my vitamin D from pills must spend time in the sun specifically the sun must shine on my face so that the body can manufacture and process vitamin d.
vitamin d deficiency is often a factor in hypertension.
a side effect being CDF arguments over vitamins.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sorry you are not correcting me you are corrected kaiser medical department and their written hand out material on vitamin d deficiency which i am supposed to follow. they were not treating an albino with rickets. they were treating me. i do not have rickets im not an albino. i can only get a portion of my vitamin D from pills must spend time in the sun specifically the sun must shine on my face so that the body can manufacture and process vitamin d.
vitamin d deficiency is often a factor in hypertension.
a side effect being CDF arguments over vitamins.
Except you weren't talking about yourself. You addressed your post to "you" - meaning, everyone who was reading your post. Including me, and any other humans. Your particular medical situation is yours, not everyone else's. YOU might not be able to ingest vitamin D, but most of the world's human population can. YOU might require exposure to direct sunlight "specifically on my face" to get vitamin D, but most of the world's human population does not.

And just in case you want to claim I haven't checked - here's the Kaiser Permanente page with their concerns about Vitamin D supplements. They acknowledge that some people need them, they acknowledge that for those who need them, supplements are actually important, and that patients need to be careful to get their supplements from USP certified manufacturers so that they can be better assured of consistency in dosages.

http://share.kaiserpermanente.org/ar...y-supplements/

and here, Kaiser of California urges patients to get their Vitamin D from a variety of sources, including the sun, salmon and other foods rich in or fortified with D, and supplements:

http://www.dor.kaiser.org/external/n..._need_it_most/

Last edited by AnonChick; 06-08-2014 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: added links

Old 06-08-2014, 08:07 PM

335 posts, read 409,867 times
Most Americans are deficient in D3 and its suggested that 20 minutes of direct sun without block daily will suffice but
a daily supplement such as in Wisconsin which is cloudy most of the year especially in winter (1000 IU's). I'am doing
a little research on statin medication to see if they remove the needed cholesterol below the dermis that is essential
in the absorption of vit D3 (D). Also the role roll D, magnesium and boron as catalysts in the absorption of calcium.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
I had my Vit D tested and it was at 30, then was taking a liquid sublingual supplement D3 (2000IU per day) and had it tested again 6 months later and it was 80. So it does work to ingest it.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
Most Americans are deficient in D3 and its suggested that 20 minutes of direct sun without block daily will suffice but
a daily supplement such as in Wisconsin which is cloudy most of the year especially in winter (1000 IU's). I'am doing
a little research on statin medication to see if they remove the needed cholesterol below the dermis that is essential
in the absorption of vit D3 (D). Also the role roll D, magnesium and boron as catalysts in the absorption of calcium.
Supplementation is also necessary for people living with albinism, because they cannot allow themselves to be exposed directly to the sun. They must wear sunscreen and long sleeves and sunglasses and hats if they're planning on being out in the sun for more than just a few minutes. Even in the winter.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
This needs to be repeated. Fat-soluble vitamins (A, D and E) will build up in your system, and could become toxic. If you're taking high doses, have your blood levels for Vit D checked in a few months.

Exactly. I take Vitamin D, but not a large amount.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I know all of that about Vitamin D, however I am not sure about number 6.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I am also Vit D deficient. Most often, my level is not even on the charts. I have to take 50,000 IU two times a week, every week.

It brings me up to being at a low norm but it makes a very noticeable difference in the pain that I have exp with my RA.

As far as number 6 is concerned, I would think that what I take would be too much, but it is what I have to take to stay within normal limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements